cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GFI tripping when plugging in to charge batteries

Haines1959
Explorer
Explorer
Help! Took delivery of a Grand Design 28g 2019 new toy hauler last month. Whenever I plug in to GFI outlet when reducing from 30 amp to 15 amp it trips the GFI plug. I used this same plug to charge the batteries in our last 5th wheel for 4 years with no issues. I have tried other GFI outlets and the same thing happens but yet others can plug in with no problem. Took it back to dealer and they said it must me plugged into 30 amp outlet per Grand Design instructions. I asked if they called the manufacturer for this info and they said yes. But when I called the manufacturer they seemed perplexed and I was told they would have to look into it. I have been an RVer for 18 years and never had this issue. I did have the dealer install 2 6 volt batteries before I took delivery as I was told they are so much better. I like to plug in before a trip to start my frig and make sure batteries are topped off but unable to do so. Thanks for your help. Steve
16 REPLIES 16

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I could not disagree more with the above. Your trailer should not trip a GFCI and if you ignore it, you can easily end up with a hot-skin issue and someone could get hurt or worse. The problem is fixable.
(Retired EE)

X2. Another retired EE
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
arkidog wrote:
Not a link but you can find it here:
Grand Design Owners Forum / General Tech / Electrical / Shore Power Gfci Issues
Page 3 (#38) dated 02/22/2020 10:43 AM

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/showthread.php/28159-Shore-Power-Gfci-issues

arkidog
Explorer
Explorer
Not a link but you can find it here:
Grand Design Owners Forum / General Tech / Electrical / Shore Power Gfci Issues
Page 3 (#38) dated 02/22/2020 10:43 AM
2019 GD Momentum 21G
2012 Ram 6.7L CTD

dedmiston
arkidog wrote:
I also own a GD 21G that will trip any ground fault plug that I plug into. From reading on the Grand Design Forum it seems that every GD with an installed generator has this same problem. One member reported that GD told him the problem was that the neutrals for the RV and the generator were bonded together at the generator transfer switch causing the problem and gave him a fix. I will not try to restate that fix here. The fix should come from GD and be done by dealer / service tech.

How about a link?

I'm typically not a fan of links to other forums & social media, but linking to the solution would help the OP so he doesn't have to start from square one when he calls the factory.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
wopachop wrote:
Is there any chance his water heater, fridge, lights and converter are simply pulling over 15 amps? Like mentioned above turn off all the RV breakers and try again.

Also make sure you water heater is filled with water. You probably know that after 18 years though.

Good question but a GFCI is not a circuit breaker and wont trip just because one pulls more than 15A from that size of circuit.
But a defective water heater, fridge or converter can cause a ground fault.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any chance his water heater, fridge, lights and converter are simply pulling over 15 amps? Like mentioned above turn off all the RV breakers and try again.

Also make sure you water heater is filled with water. You probably know that after 18 years though.

arkidog
Explorer
Explorer
I also own a GD 21G that will trip any ground fault plug that I plug into. From reading on the Grand Design Forum it seems that every GD with an installed generator has this same problem. One member reported that GD told him the problem was that the neutrals for the RV and the generator were bonded together at the generator transfer switch causing the problem and gave him a fix. I will not try to restate that fix here. The fix should come from GD and be done by dealer / service tech.
2019 GD Momentum 21G
2012 Ram 6.7L CTD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I could not disagree more with the above. Your trailer should not trip a GFCI and if you ignore it, you can easily end up with a hot-skin issue and someone could get hurt or worse. The problem is fixable.
(Retired EE)

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
There is nothing wrong with your trailer. There is no ground fault. There is 2 ways to fix your problem. Dealer not required.

Your trailer has a GFI circuit in it. Sometimes 2 GFI's in series don't play nice. One way is to turn off your GFI 120 volt circuit breaker in the breaker box of your Trailer. Not the outlet in the bath. Everything will work except any outlets within 6' of a water source.

Option #2 is to plug into a non-gfi circuit at the house.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

wra
Explorer
Explorer
I have worked on "new" RV's with the same problem. Somewhere the green "ground" wire is shorted to the white "common" wire inside of your RV. It usually happens when the manufacture wires in the converter. Have your repair person use an ohm meter to see if there is a short between the ground and common of the RV plug. (the plug must be unplugged, of course. Follow the connections from the other end of the cord until you find where the ground and commons are connected together. Separate them, and tie the whites to whites, and ground to grounds. A wire nut will usually do the job to connect the same color wires.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Start by turning ALL breakers in the RV off. Plug in and see if it still trips. Then turn on the main and one branch circuit at a time and see if the issue can be isolated.

Has it been raining? Could be water in the exterior outlet. Next would possibly be the water heater or fridge. Both these have heating elements that can leak to ground. Long shot would be a defective converter or a crossed connection. Hopefully the breaker with lead you to the branch circuit with trouble.

Ultimately the circuits will need to be separated to isolate the issue.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2, mobile tech.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that it needs to be fixed. I would trust a mobile tech before I trusted the dealer. I can help you over the phone if you will call me.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Your RV has a ground fault. It needs to be fixed. Your dealer is full of it. Tell him so. Or, find another dealer.