cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heading Home (North)

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
We still have two weeks before we leave Florida for New England, but I suspect things will only get worse with regards to the Corona virus before we leave. Since we live on an island and need a ferry ride to get home we are watching to make sure the boat is running before we leave so we don’t get stuck living in the coach in cold damp weather.

Being in a class B we usually take advantage of campground facilities as we travel, but seeing state parks starting to close down I’m thinking we may need to drive longer days and “live in our coach” to get home.

Is it just me planning this out?

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36
39 REPLIES 39

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the ferry terminal waiting to cross to Nantucket. A successful 1550 mile trip, at times eerie due to the empty roads and other times near population centers it seemed normal except no traffic delays at all. We emptied out half of our big storage compartment under the bed up onto the bed and stocked up on plenty of food to our quarantine. That area will stay at outside temperature so it is almost refrigerated.

Never having pushed an limits on our coach we learned that the gating factor for not tending to tanks is our black tank which will just get us through he 2 hours ferry ride. :C Fresh and gray could go another day.

Dave

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Wearing gloves... while getting the last few things from Publix for the trip home we saw a guy in a mask, with gloves, take his bags from the cart and put them in the trunk, adjust his mask then get in his car... with his gloves on. Go figure. Dog Pooh bags are my new go to piece of safety equipment. Simple to use, drop right off your hands into trash cans.

Dave

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
Wash your hands after pumping fuel, the handles on gas pumps are almost never cleaned!

I wear gloves, I always have.

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back yesterday. Took 5 days to travel from Gold Canyon, AZ to Cold Lake, Alberta.

Campgrounds in Montana where filled up by the end of the day. Luckily, I had made reservations or I would not have got in (Dillon, Montana). Also had reservations in Shelby, but decided to cross the border and stayed at Milk River, AB. By end of day, the campground was full.

No problem crossing the border at Sweetgrass/Coutts. About a 15 minute wait and the bonus was that they did not ask me how much I had in purchases so did not have to pay GST on the amount over my allowance. Saved me a bunch of money as I had overspent by a lot.

No problem getting fuel at Flying J/Pilot or Love's. No long lines. Used hand sanitizer and then washed hands after handling pump. Don't really think the virus could survive in a diesel environment.

Looking at the infection rate curve, I would advise everyone to head home ASAP and shelter in place. The US rate is on track with that of Italy a week ago so it is getting serious.

Stay safe and well everyone................
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Just got home yesterday after coming through Illinois and Michigan. No problems and crossing back into Canada was fine, very quiet for a Sunday crossing.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Have friends traveling right now. Illinois governor issued a shelter in place for the entire state. When friends contacted the state they were told it is perfectly fine to travel thru the state on their way to MI.
Thanks for the information, good to hear. Hopefully GA, SC, NC, VA, West Va., MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT and RI follow suit (which I am 100% sure they will) so we can get home. :B

Dave

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have friends traveling right now. Illinois governor issued a shelter in place for the entire state. When friends contacted the state they were told it is perfectly fine to travel thru the state on their way to MI.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Even though the fridge in our B isn’t quite the size of our one at home, it will be packed when we leave and between that and what we left in the cupboard at home we should be good for 2-3 weeks. If we feel comfortable on our last travel day we will stop in at a favorite store on the Cape and pile extras on the bed we won’t need that night. If not we will skip it and just go to the ferry.

We will have full water and empty waste tanks so we are free to stay wherever we want as our comfort level dictates.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
jdb7566 wrote:
Fizz wrote:
Wouldn't hurt to try and stock up on the way home. You never know whats waiting for you.

A class B wouldn't allow much room for "stocking up"

How much room do you need to re-stock your fridge?

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
Wouldn't hurt to try and stock up on the way home. You never know whats waiting for you.

A class B wouldn't allow much room for "stocking up"

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
If you are self contained, you can stay almost anywhere can’t you ?

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of a big leap from that article about San Francisco being under a shelter in place order and your statement "But very soon any type of RV travel will not only be difficult it may be prohibited". Could it happen? Maybe. Very soon? IMHO no, not very soon.

We just got back from a necessary Costco trip where they wiped every cart for each patron, offered everyone a hand wipe, and limited the number of people in the store so there were no lines at the checkout and lots of separation. We wiped everything down before packing it into the car (ourselves included), same after pumping gas. I watched a young woman come out of the Wawa Market opening the door, then peeling off a piece of doughnut and eating it and it reinforced our idea that we are protecting ourselves from everyone who isn't concerned.

Dave

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest-communities/articles/2020-03-18/bay-area-coronavirus-lockdown-foreshadows-whats-to-come

There is one other community in a similar lockdown. I rarely go to facebook and never believe anything this posted. I watch the news and listen not to the media people or the politicians. But I do listen to the Scientists and the Drs.

Moisheh

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
... But very soon any type of RV travel will not only be difficult it may be prohibited. Some cities have regional lockdowns and may go to large lockdowns. Moisheh
I think you might have been spending too much time on Facebook! Lockdowns? Certainly not yet. Shelter in place, some, but even those allow for food shopping and getting exercise.

It was all over Facebook that 5000 people and dozens of private jets had traveled to their summer homes on Nantucket. It turns out there are 3 private jets on the tarmac and the numbers for the ferries are actually slightly down from the same time last year. Rumor central is working overtime.

Dave