Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12V Incandescent Lamp Ideas

bradleydavidgoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I'm looking for a low wattage incandescent lamp with a sort of standard bulb.  I would like to plug it into either a lighter socket or usb.  My desired wattage is 12-18 watts.

I want to plug this into a portable battery power station to be able to move it around anywhere - so I would like the fixture to be something portable that can be placed on a surface wherever I go.

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
On the top right of the page you can click on "My Forums" Then the "My Preferences" will be on the left middle of the page.

But in an effort combat spam I don't think you can post pictures until you're made 50 posts. The number might be lower, but there is definitely a minimum you need to hit.

One workaround is if the pictures are hosted somewhere you can use the link feature instead of posting the picture directly.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

bradleydavidgoo
Explorer
Explorer
where is this preference that the previous post refers to?

Thanks

bradleydavidgoo
Explorer
Explorer
How do I change my preferences to allow the pics? Or any links?

Thanks

bradleydavidgoo
Explorer
Explorer
I finished making the lamp and took a bunch of pictures. I really like it. It is the perfect size. I may keep this one in the back room next to my main "Nature's Generator" plugged into the 12V because it is nice free light back there.

I may make a second one to take around the house with a smaller battery pack to where I sit and read.

The light it puts out is so nice - ah, good old fashioned incandescent light!

Pics

bradleydavidgoo
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like LED light and it bothers my eyes. It causes long term eye damage. Google "health problems with LED".

I don't have any LED in my house and use low watt incandescent bulbs and turn lights off when not using them.

Thanks for the replies. This is what I decided to do:
From Amazon:
Carviya 3 5 6 8 10 15 20 Amp Male Car Cigarette Lighter/Aux Socket Plug Connector 12 Volt With Fuse Diode Indicator (15A / 2 Pack)
Simple Designs LT2007-WHT Mini Basic Table Lamp, White
Candex - 25 Watt Candelabra E12 Base Decorative Flame Tip 12 Volt Bulb (10 PACK)

I will remove the standard 120V plug and replace it with the lighter socket.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I don't think you would get any output from a 12v bulb plugged into a 5 volt USB.

If you ultimately can't find what you are looking for, you could try looking for an LED light that has a temperature of 3000k. 3000K mimics the yellow glow of incandescent lights. It's a personal preference, but I really dislike the stark white of the 6000k LED's that seem to be have flooded the LED market.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Incandescent 12V bulbs that fit in standard sockets (both candelebra and type A/"normal" ones) are available. One of those plus a normal lamp might suit your needs well. You'd need to repalce the plug with a lighter plug or something similar.

(Standard USB (as in USB 1.0/2.0) is 5V, not 12V, and comparatively limited in power. Newer extensions allow for devices to negotiate higher voltages and currents, but a simple incandescent light bulb would not be able to do that on its own.)

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
^ just here because im curious why not LED as well. sorry I cant be more help
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Why incandescent?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Warm white LEDs mimic incandescent bulbs well.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
While I am confused as to why it doesnt matter since it is your question. However you may have a hard time finding an incandescent with a standard base in that low of wattage. Other type bases you should be able to find one.

you might try looking here https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/incandescent-light-bulbs/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZzzBRCKARIsANwXaeIogvRI6bV_b1RZsNlmutYKAxaTmjWNuYeEERVG6he_Ga3TlfeQUlIaApgNEALw_wcB

There are quite a few LED lights with a usb tail such as here
https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/usb-lights

I know this isn't what you are asking about but it is small, portable, rechargeable via usb and can put out a fair a amount of light
https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-cl26r-rechargeable-lantern/
I have a couple of their flashlights and they are awesome and rechargeable and you can buy an extra battery if you like the size of a AA type so you can always have an extra charged one around.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any particular reason you want an incandescent bulb versus LED?

I went on Amazon and there is an USB powered gooseneck desk lamp/clamp on light. But it’s LED.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT