cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

jeep wrangler - where attach safety cables??

Oregon_Viatorem
Explorer
Explorer
I'm prepping to flat-tow my 2015 Wrangler Rubicon JKU. I want to attach my coiled safety cables to the frame rails, but the jeep has an aftermarket front bumper, and no "slot" or other anchor point in the side of frame rails.

I'm looking for suggestions, experience, wisdom with this. Is it possible to add an anchor point somewhere - other than the bumper?

I suppose I could install anchors on the bumper, but that kinda defeats the purpose of the safety cables if its the bumper that fails.

thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Goggle lifting links their rated 4,000# ea.used in the bottom bumper bolts.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Oregon Viatorem wrote:
I'm prepping to flat-tow my 2015 Wrangler Rubicon JKU. I want to attach my coiled safety cables to the frame rails, but the jeep has an aftermarket front bumper, and no "slot" or other anchor point in the side of frame rails.

I'm looking for suggestions, experience, wisdom with this. Is it possible to add an anchor point somewhere - other than the bumper?

I suppose I could install anchors on the bumper, but that kinda defeats the purpose of the safety cables if its the bumper that fails.

thanks!

Are you insinuating that your aftermarket bumper is weak?
Most every aftermarket bumper Iโ€™ve seen is generally strong and un-yielding compared to OE bumpers.
Jeep doesnโ€™t have tow hooks? Seems like a good place to attach them.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SageCrispin
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have the attach points provided by the base plate. When I moved to an aftermarket bumper with built in tow bar attachment points, I got two "CURT 22411 Bolt-On Black Steel Tow Hook" from Amazon and bolted them to the frame. I then used short cables like the ones linked above to bring the attachment points out to where I could get to them easily.
We've run out in the house, but the RV has two.

Damon Challenger.
Jeep Unlimited toad

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I put two 1/2 eye bolts in existing hole in frame.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Its not rocket science, just attach them !!
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
All aftermarket bumpers are not created equal. Mine is made from 3/16" steel, and bolted to the frame rails in multiple places, with grade 8 hardware. The hitch will likely tear free from the motorhome before the Jeep bumper comes off.

I had considered drilling two holes on the bumper bottom lip, and using shackles. But I decided to use the fairlead roller on the winch to mount the safety cables. This is also 3/16" steel, and uses 4 grade 8 bolts.

Take a look at where the safety cables/chains attach to the MH tow hitch. There's the weak link in my case. YMMV!
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What attaches he after-market bumper to the frame?
What kind of tow bar attachment to the Jeep?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Y-Guy
You need to attache it to the frame rails some how. You might check out this option from eTrailer

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Oregon_Viatorem
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Iโ€™m pretty sure he is not using a base plate.

Correct. I apologize if I didn't make that clear in my post, or my 1st reply. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I am NOT using a base plate.

To re-frame my question: to anybody that has experience attaching safety cable to a jeep wrangler with an aftermarket bumper (ie, not the factory bumper) and NO base plate - HOW do/did YOU attach the safety cables?

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m pretty sure he is not using a base plate.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
What base plates are you using?
Base plates normally have a place to connect safety cables.

X2

Your base plate has the hooks to attach the safety cables..

Oregon_Viatorem
Explorer
Explorer
I attach my tow bar to the shackle/recovery tabs on the bumper. Its a beefy aftermarket offroad bumber with a winch, etc.

Was easy with my old Wrangler - my cables attached to a slot in the frame. Easy-peezy.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What base plates are you using?
Base plates normally have a place to connect safety cables.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker