cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jeeps >2012 Flat Towed?

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to replace our 1997 Jeep Wrangler as a flat-towed vehicle behind out motor home. Our auto mechanic advised NOT to get any Jeep product 2012 or newer. They claim that they have several customers who have these vehicles and every time they tow they have to come into their shop to get the vehicle's computer "re-calibrated". Apparently the computer senses moving yet no engine and it garbles all the settings. Has anyone experienced this? We want to replace our flat-tow and don't know whether to stay away from >2012 Jeeps or not. Please reply with specific details.

Many Thanks as always....
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
12 REPLIES 12

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Jeep Wrangler no problem
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well,
Must not be too interested in answers since it's been over 12 days since he asked for help.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard about towing Jeeps. You need a new mechanic. I tow a '13 with zero problems.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
'12 liberty no problem
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

John_Wayne
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Jeep Liberty I don't even have to leave the key in the vehicle to tow. You just have to make sure you get the transfer case that has the neutral setting.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
TC&Z wrote:
We are looking to replace our 1997 Jeep Wrangler as a flat-towed vehicle behind out motor home. Our auto mechanic advised NOT to get any Jeep product 2012 or newer. They claim that they have several customers who have these vehicles and every time they tow they have to come into their shop to get the vehicle's computer "re-calibrated". Apparently the computer senses moving yet no engine and it garbles all the settings. Has anyone experienced this? We want to replace our flat-tow and don't know whether to stay away from >2012 Jeeps or not. Please reply with specific details.

Many Thanks as always....

Your auto mechanic needs to have his head examined. As you can see and read, there's absolutely ZERO issues towing just about ANY year Jeep Wrangler, much less the '12's a and up. If he's getting customers with issues in their '12 and up Wranglers after they've towed, then they themselves are doing something wrong. If you look in ANY OWNERS MANUAL for about 99.9999% of the Wranglers made, (must be 4WD models) including ones before '12 and after '12, the owners manual clearly states procedures for flat towing, behind a motorhome.

We've owned, modified, towed and played with 9 different Jeep Wranglers in the past 35 years and to date, NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM has ever emerged from flat towing any of them. And those included CJ's, YJs, TJs and our present one, a '15 Jeep JKUR. I won't bother telling you the procedures for towing, again, that's in the owners manual of the one you choose. And again, your auto mechanic is providing you with false information.

If his information had any validity at all, you'd see and read of it in every single RV forum on the planet, Jeep forums, and more. Now, on a side note, if you actually are thinking of a newer Jeep, I'd suggest you look specifically for a '12 and up simply because, Jeep knew the '07 to '11 models were under powered and got lousy gas mileage. So, in 2012, they developed and installed, the Pentastar 3.6L V-6 285 HP engine. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay superior to the 3.8L mini-van motor that was previously used. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
While we tow a 2000 Wrangler, I agree with MDK -- key in the ignition most likely cause. In my case, I have to turn the key to unlock the steering wheel, but dont' turn it to on.

Jeeps up to those built a few mins ago can be flat towed. That's their appeal to RVers....that and offroad fun! ๐Ÿ˜‰

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike brez wrote:
2015 not one issue.

Same here except not as many miles. Donโ€™t see how it could. Transfer case in neutral, gears in park (or neutral for manual), keys in pocket.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

RichNewcome
Explorer
Explorer
2013 JKU, no key in ignition, transfer case in neutral, I don't think it knows it's moving. 33,000 miles with no problems.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
That's not an issue and something I've never heard of.

30 year technician 20 of those (and currently) with Mopar. Maybe the battery died? When that happens they need to be charged and then driven, but nothing needs to be reset.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
2015 not one issue.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Wrangler JKU, towed over 20,000 miles and never heard of that one. Never had any problems, except once, the vehicle to vehicle charging wiring fuse failed, probably when running both engines at the same time with the unbilical connected. 10 cent part.
Think maybe someone's pulling their legs to make a few extra bucks? More likely, they've left the key in the ignition in the "on" position, which isn't necessary in ours, as the steering doesn't lock. Or the battery wasn't being charged from the tow vehicle, and the dead Jeep battery caused problems down stream.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)