cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snowbird parks and Coronavirus

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has your snowbird park considered cancelling group activities because of the coronavirus?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021
44 REPLIES 44

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone notice the how rapidly this spread? Anyone? Does that tell you something?

I don't get flu shots and will never. But this one has me concerned. It is not your average flu but something much more sinister. I don't watch tv but I do read statistics. I am not afraid but I am taking precautions. If you want to go out in large groups, go for it but don't drag it back to me.

Florida state parks are closed for camping as of friday at 1pm. More info to come.

MODERATOR'S EDIT: Per the site Admin's request, I am closing all COVID-19 threads and directing future comments to one thread in Around the Campfire.

2019โ€“20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Fondled can food, box food and wrapped food can carry pathogens for a long time.

Far longer than the longevity of a sterilization towel wipe down.

You need to sterilize EVERYTHING including money which is, by far, the worst offender.

IODINE DILUTED in water is by far the best sterilizing treatment. Wipe down cardboard and submerge fruits and vegetables for 5 min. I have a second bucket for rinsing.

Surprise! Treated fruits and veggies last much longer in the refrigerator.

Your hands dunked in 15 liters of water treated with five tablespoons of iodine will keep killing pathogens for 24 hours but do not rinse.
The above is the product of actual experience and university. It is not guesswork

It kept me safe in a small village in Oaxaca for 10 days during a bad typhoid fever outbreak. The bridge was fixed and I departed.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never wiped down grocery store carts until this week.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

dturm
Funny, I mentioned to friends the other day that now I feel like I want to wash my hands after coming out of the bathroom.

I guess a reason to carry those sanitizing wipes.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:

The thing that scares me, is that people are contagious, before they feel ill (and presumably sequester themselves); and since 80% of the cases don't require medical treatment, there could be a LOT of people out there spreading germs who aren't on the "radar".

Wash your hands.

Here's ONE WAY ALL VIRUSES ARE SPREAD, and my personal reaction to it. I hope you all agree!

I'm going to boycott Burger King! I'm sick and tired of restaurants that have only air dryers for my hands. Now, I have to remember to grab extra napkins, steal a bunch of toilet paper (E-gods to that one!), or use my shirt tail to both dry my hands and open the door. Imagine all the cretins who actually don't use those air dryers because it takes too long (It does!),and then grab the door handle after using the facilities. Coronavirus? Heck, what else is on that door handle. I WANT PAPER TOWELS TO OPEN THE BATHROOM DOOR!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today Cal-Am resorts announced that all resort ticketed events, sponsored activities and events will be cancel effective Monday the 16th for resorts and right away for communities. Refunds will be automatically refunded for paid events. Cal-Am has 17 resorts and 14 Communities in Arizona and communities in 8 states, which would be 10's of thousands of residents. Chris

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sun Communities just cancelled all indoor activities at all their parks effective Saturday.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
...If one watches much news on this coronavirus, you most likely notice that scientist are being push away from the cameras and mics, while national politicians down play the risk. Hopefully state level guidance will be forth coming.

Guessing you just saw the classified health meeting news where those same scientists donโ€™t have clearance, but the politicians do. Kinda like RV snowbirds who actual travel around versus those that sit in one place for decades pretending to be something they really ainโ€™t yet making choices for all.

You have a very valid concern about snowbird parks, high risk groups, and a virus with no current cure. Anybody who spent time in a snowbird parks understands the kennel cough that goes around. Especially bad are those older style winter parks. Hard not to touch cards in those activities only 55+ parks.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
dturm wrote:
I saw two bluebirds in a tree and a dead frog this morning. These observations, while valid have as much significance on the potential spread and mortality of a new infectious disease, coronavirus as the number of people killed in auto accidents. None is a valid way to evaluate what's going on. If you are saying that the deaths we eventually have from corona are less somehow because the absolute numbers are less than the flu or auto accidents... well that's just cold.

Comparing flu to corona is just mildly more significant. We have a very large percent of the population protected from the flu from previous mild infections or vaccination. Every individual who is protected acts as a roadblock to the spread during flu season. Yet we still have 10s of thousands of deaths each year.

No one has protection from corona. There are no roadblocks. We have to slow the spread so that our health care system does not get overwhelmed. Each person has to act responsibly to mitigate the spread. Not everyone is going to be infected, obviously. But, the potential is a little frightening.

This isn't hype. It's just running the numbers. That's why businesses, cities, counties and countries are cancelling group activities and travel.

Until we get accurate numbers from wide spread testing, caution is the only way to responsibly proceed.

I asked our parks management over the week end if they were talking to corporate about when group activities might be scaled back, suggesting that it would be prudent to get ahead of the curve on this issue. The answer back was yes they were in communication of corporate and the answer was they are waiting for more guidance from CDC and other agencies. If one watches much news on this coronavirus, you most likely notice that scientist are being push away from the cameras and mics, while national politicians down play the risk. Hopefully state level guidance will be forth coming.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Approximately 38,800 people in the US were killed in traffic accidents in 2018. That is more than 1500 times the number of people in the US whose deaths are attributed to COVID19. Yet there is no reporting that automobiles are "carving a path of death" like the article quoted said was the case with the virus. ....snip......

You want to equate auto deaths with a medical problem? Back in the 1950's, auto deaths were on the rise and we did something about it. Safety belts, testing, air bags, etc. We can do something about the Coronavirus, or stick our heads it the sand. I am glad that we have safety belts in all our vehicles.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
BarbaraOK wrote:
It is the fear of something new that we have no experience with that has people sacred. Add to that the problem with senior citizens who have health issues (and most of us over 70 have some health issue) and it becomes a concern. Yes, a lot of it is ignorance on the part of most people. But my husband is having bypass surgery next Monday so you can be sure that we will be staying in this week just to make sure that he isn't exposed to ANYTHING (this is also a high flu season in Arizona) that would interfere with his recovery.

Best wishes for your husband, Barb. You need to be diligent. Last week I had to make a whirlwind trip back to Indiana as my mother was in the hospital. She had been in the week before for an infection. While she was there, my sister was outraged with one nurse who was visibly sick. Her nose was raw and red, she was coughing and had laryngitis. My sister told her she needed to wear a mask. She said she was fine and refused to don a mask. She got down right in Mom's face. They released Mom and later that night she developed wheeazing and other respiratory problems so my sister took her back to the ER. The surprised doctor asked if she had been around any sick people. Sis said YES, the one nurse. Mom ended up staying another week while they cleared all that up. A complaint was made to the "Joint Commission" by my niece who is a nurse practitioner. So the next day the CEO from the hospital showed up asking questions. My sister was home sick (imagine that) so I filled him in on all things related to this nurse, who happened to be working on the floor that day. I told him she was NOT to set foot in Mom's room. We considered her the source of Mom's secondary respiratory infection as well as my sister's. Interestingly, once that nurse was off shift, another nurse went to her work station and disinfected everything she had touched. As I told the CEO, all she had to do was wear a mask. I mean, she shouldn't have been there anyway, but if a patient's family thinks you should wear a mask, better do it.

Thankfully my 95-year old Mom recovered and is doing well at home now.

Hopefully nothing like that will happen in a cardiac unit, but we must be our own advocates.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
^^ Thank you Dr. Doug for telling it like it is. ๐Ÿ™‚

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

dturm
I saw two bluebirds in a tree and a dead frog this morning. These observations, while valid have as much significance on the potential spread and mortality of a new infectious disease, coronavirus as the number of people killed in auto accidents. None is a valid way to evaluate what's going on. If you are saying that the deaths we eventually have from corona are less somehow because the absolute numbers are less than the flu or auto accidents... well that's just cold.

Comparing flu to corona is just mildly more significant. We have a very large percent of the population protected from the flu from previous mild infections or vaccination. Every individual who is protected acts as a roadblock to the spread during flu season. Yet we still have 10s of thousands of deaths each year.

No one has protection from corona. There are no roadblocks. We have to slow the spread so that our health care system does not get overwhelmed. Each person has to act responsibly to mitigate the spread. Not everyone is going to be infected, obviously. But, the potential is a little frightening.

This isn't hype. It's just running the numbers. That's why businesses, cities, counties and countries are cancelling group activities and travel.

Until we get accurate numbers from wide spread testing, caution is the only way to responsibly proceed.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
....snip.... COVID19 is responsible for about 4/1000th of 1% of the deaths in the US.

In case you haven't noticed, it just got here. That figure is about as meaningful as saying the death rate from automobiles was less than 4/1000th of 1% in 1901.
Approximately 38,800 people in the US were killed in traffic accidents in 2018. That is more than 1500 times the number of people in the US whose deaths are attributed to COVID19.
while I agree that the media has overhyped this; your comparison of 38,800 in 52 weeks is not reasonable since there has been deaths (22) in the USA to Coronavirus for just over 1 week and the first likely case of local transmission was just under 2 weeks ago. The exposure and deaths/week are not at a steady rate as is the case for automobile deaths.

Itโ€™s just getting started in the USA and we donโ€™t really have a good sense of just how bad it will be.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M