cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Not your dad's Airstream

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
This is posted on Craigslist this morning here in Montgomery. I don't know if is local or not but is one nice Reno job.

Upscale Airstream
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT
26 REPLIES 26

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Lol! We donโ€™t have payments. We keep them clean and trade when we feel like a new one. We donโ€™t have sway. Yes I would like a Classic RB and we can afford it. Canโ€™t justify $156,000 for a travel trailer. Thatโ€™s insane. Weโ€™re just as comfortable in our recliners in our Walmart special as we would be in an Airstream. The only thing weโ€™re lacking is snob appeal. Snob appeal isnโ€™t a priority at the places we go. A 10-15 year old Airstream is outdated and looks outdated inside. I have no desire to buy work. Cousinโ€™s trailer tows fine, water intrusion included. Weโ€™re booked at Ginnie Springs this summer. Wonโ€™t be watching tv during the day. Will be comfortable watching tv with breakfast. Your attempts to insult me are wasted efforts. Narcissistic personality disorder is all yours. :B
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
Good grief! How high can you stack bovine biscuits in an attempt to glorify an old outdated trailer? So stable it needs a $3k hitch to keep it from flying off the road, rolling multiple times risking lives all around. A $140,000 AS has a particle board floor. The fuselage requires regular maintenance to keep it from leaking down to the particle board floor. Appliances are the same as the Walmart trailers. The chassis and running gear will rust and wear out just as fast as any other. I like a new trailer every 5-7 years. Cousinโ€™s โ€˜87 24โ€™ stick and tin Walmart special is still serving him very well. He tows it on a $40 tri-ball, stable and safe.

You like having a payment. Youโ€™ll buy, what, 4-5 when you could have had one. Will have spent far more. Senor Spendthrift.

Theyโ€™re far easier to tow. Wanting a hitch not obsolete in design is a choice. As itโ€™s equal in importance to the vehicle pair itโ€™s cheap at twice the price. Sway is eliminated.

While your trailer jigs back and forth all day. A Hensley stands out. Rock solid. No movement not initiated by TV. But, not yours. Wearing out that cheap leaf suspension in a year. There are 30-year old AS that have suspensions still test within spec. Yours wonโ€™t make it 5,000-miles.

You donโ€™t want one, fine.

My thirty year old SS is nicer than what you have. Always was and always will be. The difference is that I bought mine for less than you paid for whatever you have And even with changes along the way, Iโ€™ll still have less into it.

A 10-15 year old AS is still new. But depreciation has bottomed. Thatโ€™s the time to buy one for a typically poor American. What little it will need can be spread out as time, funds and DIY allow.

Thatโ€™s a FAR better trailer than whatever is brand new on the RV lots.

And your cousins trailer wonโ€™t pass a moisture intrusion test. Nor is it stable at typical highway speeds when the rig encounters severe crosswinds.

The ones I almost donโ€™t notice. As 5โ€™ers, big trucks and rigs like your canโ€™t stay on the road.

Crosswind resistance is the crown. Thatโ€™s the single largest cause of driver loss of control. Which you canโ€™t control for. Mario Andretti canโ€™t control a rig when the Drive Axle gets loose. Design matters. Frou-frou doesnโ€™t. AS still has the basic design which hasnโ€™t been improved by anyone in sixty years.

So, if your definition of going camping is watching TV somewhere else, have at it.

If you really wanted to travel, youโ€™d have been a serious student. You werenโ€™t. You took the higher risk & more expensive route.

Enjoy.

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
1) won't sleep away from the wife for extended periods so dual twins won't work
2) putting the toilet directly next to 3 surfaces is stupid, from both a comfort and cleanliness perspective.

Otherwise I like it, the storage is huge for that size trailer.

good thing there's lots of storage, need it for all those pillows
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Good grief! How high can you stack bovine biscuits in an attempt to glorify an old outdated trailer? So stable it needs a $3k hitch to keep it from flying off the road, rolling multiple times risking lives all around. A $140,000 AS has a particle board floor. The fuselage requires regular maintenance to keep it from leaking down to the particle board floor. Appliances are the same as the Walmart trailers. The chassis and running gear will rust and wear out just as fast as any other. I like a new trailer every 5-7 years. Cousinโ€™s โ€˜87 24โ€™ stick and tin Walmart special is still serving him very well. He tows it on a $40 tri-ball, stable and safe.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope. Dad took us camping in a tent. That Airstream would have been a palace.

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
TravelinDog wrote:
My wife and I looked through some Airstreams at an rv show a couple of years ago. Holy ****! the cheapest one there was over 79K. They are just way too cramped on the inside. The aisle front to back was no wider than the aisle in the 1963 19ft Airstream we used to have. You're just paying for the name.

How long do you expect to travel this way? Five years? Thirty?

Because youโ€™ll pay far more buying multiple WalMart campers over a long period.
Finance & depreciation just to start ruins your picture.

โ€œNewโ€ is always more expensive. Also, unnecessary with this end of things. My competitor Silver Streak turned thirty last year and itโ€™s โ€œbetterโ€ than any five year old conventional.

A 10-12 year old AS is about bottomed out on depreciation. And new enough to not need much. If it needs anything at all. (Landfill time for a conventional). THAT is where to start a search.

Are you going to cover no more than 70k miles or so during a few years of camping? Then a conventional kept garaged might work.

Or will it be 250k over twenty years or more?

Only one trailer design-type meets that pair of numbers.
Done right, maybe two tow vehicles in that time.
Cars or SUVs. Not rollover-prone pickups.

Better stability towing.
Better stability solo.

How expensive is risk reduction?
Cheaper, when planned from beginning.

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Very nicely done just not out cup of tea. The wife enjoys her square footage.

She likes doing more cleaning.
You like trying to heat or cool more (unused) space.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Very nicely done just not out cup of tea. The wife enjoys her square footage.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
You'd have to be as skinny as a 2x4 to fit on the commode the way it's jammed in to a tight corner.
Most people these days are too fat. Maybe a little discomfort would encourage them to get off their butts, lose some lard.:W

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
You'd have to be as skinny as a 2x4 to fit on the commode the way it's jammed in to a tight corner.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
1) won't sleep away from the wife for extended periods so dual twins won't work
2) putting the toilet directly next to 3 surfaces is stupid, from both a comfort and cleanliness perspective.

Otherwise I like it, the storage is huge for that size trailer.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Bobbo wrote:
gbopp wrote:
What did the Airstream cost new in 1975?

I think the more appropriate question is what does a new one cost today. The Airstream website lists a brand new 30' Flying cloud with an MSRP between $101,400 and $102,400. I think the price in this ad is probably ball park for an equivalent new one.

(Full disclosure: My TT is an Airstream.)

Agreed, the asking price is very close to that of a new one. No reason to buy an Airstream of this vintage at that price because it doesn't look much different than a new one. And despite all of the new parts and appliances, the new one will still be more modern and reliable, with the same classic Airstream look.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
I personally don't care for the aesthetic, too foo foo. However, it's a 1975 and was worth fixing up and someone will buy it. I expect most of what's sold today will be in the landfill 45 years from now, no matter how many slides and TVs.

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I looked through some Airstreams at an rv show a couple of years ago. Holy ****! the cheapest one there was over 79K. They are just way too cramped on the inside. The aisle front to back was no wider than the aisle in the 1963 19ft Airstream we used to have. You're just paying for the name.
Just say no to the payload police :C