cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Camera is acting up time to replace?

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
My 15 year old backup camera is starting to act up the screen is rolling and hard to see it is also black & white.

I did some searching on here about back up cameras and I see a lot of people recommend RVcams.com so I contacted them for a quote. But I started thinking it would be nice to have GPS with the system as well so I did a search for GPS with backup camera and found a Garmin unit RV 770LMT GPS w/ HD BC 30 Wireless Backup Camera Bundle RV770LMT. Has anyone tried one of these units?

My current unit has the monitor built in the dash and I like that but I think I could fabricate a mount to accomplish the same thing. I own a machine shop so fabricating do dads is what I do.

I also have some concern with the wireless aspect of the camera. Garmin is top notch stuff though so I would expect a good unit. I have a bunch of Garmin stuff on my boat and I use a portable Garmin GPS in my Pickup.

Thanks Mike
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
1 REPLY 1

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used the Garmin and camera combo and it worked fine BUT it is not as wireless as you may think. The transmission of the image is wireless but the power to the camera must have some way of switching it on/off or you will have the camera powered all of the time. I used a wireless switch, with a key fob, to turn the camera on/off and this worked OK for me. I had a Voyager back up system that I used for normal driving and I only used the Garmin camera combo to monitor when I was even with the gas pump at a fueling station. Garmin does make decent products and the system did exactly what I expected.