cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

100K miles - what maintenance?

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 CTD 2500 2WD that is getting ready to turn over 100K miles. I've had the truck since new and have done regular maintenance. Also ball joints, power steering pump, water pump, front brakes and brake assembly hoses, and electric fan clutch have been replaced.

This truck is used primarily to pull my 5th wheel trailer, and is running great. However, since I'm getting ready to take an extended trip this summer I'm thinking it might be time to replace a few items, i.e. belts, hoses, etc.

Any recommendations on necessary maintenance or parts?

Thanks.
51 REPLIES 51

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yup the sound of the 12V.... my brother had one and we camped with him. He would come driving into the campground at 11:00 at night and he may as well have just layed on the fยฃ!@%ยฃ^ horn. I hated that truck but I gotta admit that red with tinted windows is something special.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
But .... now that you've experienced towing with the '15 could you be happy with the '98 even if your wife wanted half the trailer.

NO, there is simply no comparison! BUT there is something about the sound and feel of a 12V tuned truck with a built trans. Also they look good.

I agree, the sound of a 12V I cannot be appreciated until you stand next to it and hear (and feel) it coming!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
But .... now that you've experienced towing with the '15 could you be happy with the '98 even if your wife wanted half the trailer.

NO, there is simply no comparison! BUT there is something about the sound and feel of a 12V tuned truck with a built trans. Also they look good.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
B&W Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would have kept driving my 98 12V but someone wanted a bigger RV so the 11 DRW LongHorn was purchased, then someone wanted an even bigger/heavier RV so the 15 DRW LongHorn was purchased. I have to say all three trucks were/are great.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Best investment is to drive the wheels off it. No way buying new trucks every few years comes even remotely close.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
As the OP, thank you to all who offered suggestions on preventive maintenance. To those that suggested my selling it and purchase a new vehicle............no way. It's a great truck that still looks like new, inside and out.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Just to be sure you understand me correctly I'm not saying someone who buys a depreciated out 20 year old truck and keeps it on the road for a few years before selling it and doing the same thing again can't save some money. I am saying a person who buys a new truck and keeps it 12 years before trading it on a new truck again won't come out a whole lot ahead vs the guy who replaces his truck every 4 years.
Hmm, I see what you're saying, but I don't know that I'm convinced, especially at the prices for new trucks.

That's the thing .... by driving your old truck for another few years just means that when the time comes to buy a new one it's going to be even more money ..... waiting doesn't stop inflation from happening. If, on the other hand, you're like my father who says "this old Dodge will do me just fine for the little bit of RVing I do. I don't need no $80,000 truck". Well, he's 82 years old and if he never buys another truck inflation won't affect him.
B&W Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Love my 01 Sport. Love the sound!!!

Paid 15k to the original owner with 123k.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
Just to be sure you understand me correctly I'm not saying someone who buys a depreciated out 20 year old truck and keeps it on the road for a few years before selling it and doing the same thing again can't save some money. I am saying a person who buys a new truck and keeps it 12 years before trading it on a new truck again won't come out a whole lot ahead vs the guy who replaces his truck every 4 years.
Hmm, I see what you're saying, but I don't know that I'm convinced, especially at the prices for new trucks.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
It is a want not always a need. I traded a great truck will a want only not a need. Lots of so called million mile trucks are traded for the want reason. Ok I think
Chevman
Oh absolutely, I just think that telling a person they're not saving any money, to speak of, by driving an older paid-for truck vs buying a brand new truck is specious.

2nd gen RAMโ€™s are a great investment!!!
I concur, I've seen some outrageous prices for low mileage 24 valve trucks. I could probably get most of my money back after owning the thing for 14 years. And mine, at 112,000 miles is considered low mileage. Just wish it was a bit quieter. LOL
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
It is a want not always a need. I traded a great truck will a want only not a need. Lots of so called million mile trucks are traded for the want reason. Ok I think
Chevman
Oh absolutely, I just think that telling a person they're not saving any money, to speak of, by driving an older paid-for truck vs buying a brand new truck is specious.

2nd gen RAMโ€™s are a great investment!!!

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
Chevman

B&W Companion

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought the question was maintenance.