cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2020 Milepost

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
The 2020 Milepost will be released this month (23 March, 2020). I'm pretty sure the roads are all the same but some of the businesses along the way have changed. We are planning a trip from AK to Idaho, I just need my darling navigator wife to learn how to read the Milepost in reverse so we can enjoy the sights and stops along the way.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

12 REPLIES 12

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Got mine last Saturday-using the current down time to peruse it for our August trip. Can't wait.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Williebago
Explorer
Explorer
The Milepost is well worth having for the trip. We had a current copy for our first trip in 2013 and our last summers trip in 2019. Great to have a copilot who can read outloud and find all the hidden neat things they describe along the route while you keep an eye out to avoid hitting a moose or bear on the road.

Glad we went last year to avoid all the rapid changing border closings for travelers.
[purple]WILLIEBAGO[/purple]

2019 Newmar Baystar 3626, F53, 252"WB with 6.8L gas engine
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Toad
2 cockapoos, Jordy and Nelson, who love RVing

[purple]Go K-State Wildcats[/purple]

FiverBob
Explorer
Explorer
Our first trip up to Alaska was in 2005 and we stayed 5 months. That guide was amazing in finding gunkholes and neat spots to see. The coupons for specials like 2 for 1's and discounts was wild. Each new trip the books became less valuable for coupons and specials, but still good info. Hardly any 2-4-1 coupons on our last trip in 2016. Very good guide for the newbie to the great state of Alaska. Love it up there. And so close to us - - only 4600 miles one way from our home to Anchorage- - and a drop in temperature of 35 to 45 degrees. Brrr.
2003 Dodge 3500 HO dually 6 speed Laramie, Jordan Controller, RDS aux tank/tool box, Bremen boards, RamAirIII, Jacobs EBrake, Air Safe 25K hitch
Carriage 36' Triple slide Fiver, Onan Gen, Sat, Prosine Inv., MORryd IS and pinbox

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Released Tomorrow

Per their website it won't be until 3/30. I believe the original date was 3/23, but then it was bumped out a few weeks ago.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Released Tomorrow
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
although I will agree that it had TOO MUCH information.

Please don't ask them to remove the porta-potty info LOL! The first time we went to AK my son was 7-we flew so no MH. Apparently he was nervous or something while we were driving along the various roads. We visited MANY porta-potties along our routes! That info was invaluable. Came in handy a time or two for mom and dad as well!

Douglas Adams

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah; I would argue that it still has great usefulness.

When we did our AK trip a few years ago we rented a motorhome at ABC in Anchorage. They had a section of the shop where previous renters left things behind that they weren't going to be using and/or couldn't bring home on the plane with them. Among other treasures we found a slightly used, but current Milepost. Snatched that up quicker than you can blink. It was great to have, although I will agree that it had TOO MUCH information.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
As noted, with the advent of the web age, it's not as worthwhile as it was.

Disagree. The book can be much easier when you are driving as a passenger can read the info while moving along. If you are in an area without a net connection then you have a back-up.

Douglas Adams

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
As far back as my first trip in 1976, although I'll admit that was with another driver who routinely made the trip, the most beneficial feature of the Milepost(IMO) was that it had lots of the relevant maps gathered in one spot.

While it's always been a promotional volume, it seems to have become more so over the years. As noted, with the advent of the web age, it's not as worthwhile as it was.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Milepost is a great resource loaded, & I mean overdose loaded, with info.

On our first trip to the North we had a 2 year old MP given to us. The first day out of Dawson Creek the DW started reading all the bits as we drove along. Second day the book went behind the seat. Second trip North the book stayed in the trailer. Third trip North the book stayed home in Bermuda.

Half the fun of going north is the research before the trip. These days all of that is right at our fingertips. Once on the trip be prepared for change of plans & sometimes plain old winging it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
The 2020 Milepost will be released this month (23 March, 2020). I'm pretty sure the roads are all the same but some of the businesses along the way have changed. We are planning a trip from AK to Idaho, I just need my darling navigator wife to learn how to read the Milepost in reverse so we can enjoy the sights and stops along the way.

Just hold it upside down. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Our last road trip, although coming up to AK, was through Idaho and Montana...great scenery.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I have pre-ordered mine on their website-it will be shipped out when available.

Douglas Adams