cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I5 Bakersfield to Redding

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
Will be driving up the valley to the Oregon coast in a few weeks and was wondering which was the better road surface, the 5 or the 99 ?
The older we get, the faster we go
19 REPLIES 19

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
babock wrote:
dave54 wrote:
babock wrote:
If you are driving from Bakersfield, you don't really have a choice do you? 99 ends at Sacramento and you need to be on 99 to get to Sacramento...

That will come as quite a shock to residents of Yuba City, Gridley, Chico...

99 ends at Red Bluff in the north.
You are correct but nobody takes that part of 99 going north anymore since the that section of 5 opened up.

Not necessarily. For some topographic reason, 99 get less wind than the parallel I5. Yesterday, for example, the winds were howling on I5, trucks, trailers, and RVs not recommended. 99 had a few gusts, but otherwise no problem.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
I deleted the snarky responses. Let's play nice please.

Seriously, how can you even get snarky on this harmless topic?:h

Some folks just like to yell at the screen. I don't think it will ever change.

An outlet for their lonely, sad and hateful lives (uncured by camping and the magnificent nature)?:R

dedmiston
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
dedmiston wrote:

Some folks just like to yell at the screen. I don't think it will ever change.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
gtnsmlr wrote:
Willcamp4 wrote:
I don't know where you are going on the Oregon coast. Having done all the routes to Brookings at the south end of the Oregon coast, and guessing you want to see the entire Oregon coast; also not knowing what equipment/experience you have; personally I would take I5 to W/B US 299 in Oregon and take US 101 North along the Oregon coast. The downside of that is you miss the northern California coast/Redwoods NP, but with the exception of an about 20 mile stretch of 299 in California it is an easier drive. My opinion.

It would appear that the 5 would be the way to go, We have a stop in Chico to visit a friend. Iโ€™m thinking the 299 w would be my best bet off the 5, the pass from Redding to Medford could be iffy and we will be slowing down to hang around in the redwoods. We donโ€™t have any solid plans until the middle of May on the central coast.

Be sure and check the road conditions and any road construction project on 299 from Redding to 101 before to heading out. Alternative route, hwy. 20 out of colusa to 101. RV friendly.

dedmiston

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

babock
Explorer
Explorer
dave54 wrote:
babock wrote:
If you are driving from Bakersfield, you don't really have a choice do you? 99 ends at Sacramento and you need to be on 99 to get to Sacramento...

You are correct but nobody takes that part of 99 going north anymore since the that section of 5 opened up.

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
Willcamp4 wrote:
I don't know where you are going on the Oregon coast. Having done all the routes to Brookings at the south end of the Oregon coast, and guessing you want to see the entire Oregon coast; also not knowing what equipment/experience you have; personally I would take I5 to W/B US 299 in Oregon and take US 101 North along the Oregon coast. The downside of that is you miss the northern California coast/Redwoods NP, but with the exception of an about 20 mile stretch of 299 in California it is an easier drive. My opinion.

It would appear that the 5 would be the way to go, We have a stop in Chico to visit a friend. Iโ€™m thinking the 299 w would be my best bet off the 5, the pass from Redding to Medford could be iffy and we will be slowing down to hang around in the redwoods. We donโ€™t have any solid plans until the middle of May on the central coast.
The older we get, the faster we go

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
babock wrote:

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

windinmyface2
Explorer
Explorer
My route would be 99 to the junction of hwy 120. take it west, (shortest jump to I 5). I do this because getting from 99 to I 5 in Sacramento is a royal PITA.
Then hwy 20 over to 101.
lets go!!

babock
Explorer
Explorer
If you are driving from Bakersfield, you don't really have a choice do you? 99 ends at Sacramento and you need to be on 99 to get to Sacramento.

I guess you could go west to 5 from Bakersfield first but I don't see the point in doing that.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
FYI just north of Redding is a nice RV park - Mountain Gate. Nice stop b4 you hit the mountains.
Kevin

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
There is nothing to see much from Bakersfield to Redding whether taking 99 or 5.

Best approach for sightseeing is to be on 101 soonest That means going Westward from Bakersfield -- well, unless you have someone to meet or see in Redding.

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators