cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awnings

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Fleetwood it has one of those scissor type awnings it has to be the worst idea ever put on my RV ,it sticks putting it out the water won’t run off it ,I just hope my insurance will replace it when it breaks
Has anyone replaced there’s with the other type of awnings?

Scott:@
8 REPLIES 8

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
There's plenty of documentation (PDF files) on this page:
https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree30/product-library
Try to learn the "features" of what you have. I can't believe somewhere in the information you got with a new RV, there's isn't mention of the brand/model of the awning or an owner's manual. If it didn't come with it, I'd be calling the dealer and asking questions before ranting on RV.net.
Mirage - Service Manual page 1 wrote:
Pooling
When water collects on the top of the fabric, this is known as "pooling". This can occur during inclement weather or if a running air conditioner discharges over the awning. The water is dumped when the awning is retracted. It is recommended that if water accumulates on the top; retract the awning in steps (8"-12") to dump the water. This will help prevent the fabric from stretching or distorting.

The effects of wind and rain on an awning are unpredictable. Severe damage to the awning and the vehicle may result. IF WIND OR EXTENDED PERIODS OF RAIN ARE EXPECTED, ROLL UP THE AWNING AND SECURE FOR TRAVEL.

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/documents/Mirage-Service-Manual.pdf
The instructions Doug posted above are on page 2 of the Service Manual (with pictures) linked to above.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
sssooo wrote:
I just looked at carefree awnings and I didn’t see the type of awning I have ?

I looked again and I guess it is Mirage carefree type awning they say if water pooles to bring it in that kind of defeats the purpose of the awning ?????:h

The purpose of an awning is shade, NOT WATER PROTECTION. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
sssooo wrote:

I looked again and I guess it is Mirage carefree type awning they say if water pooles to bring it in that kind of defeats the purpose of the awning ?????:h

Carefree makes the same awning, but calls it 2 names. There is the OEM
Latitude which is the Mirage retail. There is the OEM Compass which is the retail Eclipse. Water pooling is a CUSTOMER problem. If your awning is pooling water that is your call. Awnings are NOT designed to keep up with water pooling and this is not a warranty item. If water pools you are supposed to retract to keep from having in the rain. Auto shed type awnings can be overwhelmed by a sudden rain and not be able to dump the water in time. You can adjust the pitch on a Mirage type awning. Doug

DURING INSTALLATION OR WHEN THE PITCH OF THE AWNING IS ADJUSTED, IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE LEAD RAIL IS PARALLEL TO THE AWNING HOUSING. 1. Extend the awning fully. 2. On one end, loosen the 6mm hex screw located on the spring arm knuckle. 3. SLIGHTLY loosen the 3/4” nut on the side of the knuckle. 4. Turn the 3/4” adjustment nut located on the bottom of the knuckle. CLOCKWISE raises the pitch, COUNTERCLOCKWISE lowers the pitch. NOTE: When raising the pitch, it is helpful to have a second person lift up on the lead rail. 5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 for the other end. Note the caution information above. 6. When the pitch adjustments are completed, tighten the 6mm screw and the 3/4” nut on the side of the knuckle. When the pitch is adjusted, it is necessary to adjust the angle of the lead rail for the awning to close correctly. 7. SLIGHTLY loosen the 3/4” nut on the side of each arm knuckle on the lead rail. 8. Turn the INSIDE 6mm hex screws of each knuckle to increase or decrease the angle of the lead rail. The face of the lead rail should be parallel with the coach wall. 9. When the lead rail adjustments are completed, tighten the 3/4” nut on the side of the knuckles.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Get an awning that can be dropped sufficiently to be able to clean while standing on the ground. That's pretty much the old conventional manual awning.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Carefree Lattitude, they are adjustable. you can pitch one end so water won't puddle on it. Just go to the Carefree web site and download the installation instructions. The factory probably didn't take the time to properly adjust it.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
It is not that type of awning if you have looked at any newer rv you will see that they have changed to a new style of awning that is all together different than the style that you are talking about it is electric and is 2.0 !!:S

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’m assuming it a Dometic power awning, and if so you may want to lube any parts that slide or rub. Mine will automatically drop a side if too much water accumulates on the awning. Also, Mine allows you to lower one end or both to direct where the water is to go. Does yours have a knob on each arm? If so (you may need a step stool) pull the awning down on that side then tighten the knob to keep it there.

Insurance will most likely not pay for it unless it is damaged due to accident or natural causes such as leaving it out in a windstorm.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT