cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dog travel...USA to Canada

RVRoamer428
Explorer
Explorer
So I ask my vet staff what I need to get my dog in the rv into Canada since we are doing Toronto this summer. Freak out....vet gal gave me a paper, call them...ContinentalPetRelocation brochure. I didn't realize til I got home...I ain't moving him there permanently LOL I just want to travel. So I hit online....US Dept of Agri. says older than 8 months ALL I NEED is a rabies vaccine certificate to show. No health certificate paper needed.

So is this it? I know many of you do this and bring your dogs back and forth in and out of Canada so all I need is a valid rabies paper from the vet? Cause if this is all I am thrilled LOL

Do not want to get caught short at all so asking for those who do this, am I right with just a rabies paper? If not do I need more.

thanks a bunch for any help.
9 REPLIES 9

RVRoamer428
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the info. I guess a valid rabies paper and I will get from my vet a vaccination sheet showing he has every shot he needs up to date. I am happy it isn't worse than what you guys told me 🙂 appreciate the help!

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Customs will not make a call to your vet. You MUST have in writing inoculation records. THEY MUST BE UP TO DATE. If you are lucky they will just ask, but don't count on it. There is also a possibility you will need them again to get back in the USA. Have you pass book or card open and ready for the officer.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Check with Border Services, both Canada and U.S. for their requirements, probably rabies and health statements. Even if the requirements are there, the agent letting you in may ask for them or may not. If you have the required paperwork, no problem, if you don't have it and find out you need it , oh oh.
If you see the vet regularly, you may already have it. On my yearly visit, they give me a statement, that includes the rabies vaccine, and any other pertinent information, healthy or other things done. And of course, the bottom line $$$.

Your 4 legged family member, returning to the U.S. is treated the same as mine, going for a visit.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were never questioned about the dog returning to Canada, U.S. customs once wanted to know if there were any sheep or goat products in the food. They never asked to see the vaccination record.

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest that you bring with you a record of all your dog's vacinations and treatments for on going conditions. Take a picture of the records on your smart phone for easy access. I've only been asked twice for my dog's rabies certification but I did have to find a Vet in Whitehorse for a medical issue.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
On dog food it can be a hit or miss even in the original container. What I started doing was not carrying dog food and stopping at the store in Canada and purchased enough for the trip. They have a Walmart in Dryden where I purchased the same brand.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I had all my dogs' records along, but all they wanted to see were rabies vaccinations.

It may have changed by now, but when you return to the US, make sure your dog food is in the bag it was purchased in. At one time there were some restrictions on beef coming into the US.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I have crossed several times with my Collies and all they ever asked for was proof of rabies vaccination. I use to carry certificate of health as well but was never asked for it.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Did you look in the brochure to see if it's covered? It might just be a "one-size-fits-all" publication. I haven't taken a dog across in 35 years but then it was proof of rabies and a health cert saying he was up-to-date on shots.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]