cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone else camp in an A-frame?

Tmeek
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a 2019 Rockwood A122 - similar to an A-Liner and other brands. It suits my needs perfectly. But I haven't seen many others in these forums who use them. It's mostly about the larger vehicles. I'm not Slim Potatohead, but I'd like to be lol
2019 Nissan Frontier 2WD 4.0L V6, 2019 Rockwood A-122 A-Frame folder. 1 man, 1 dog, 1 truck, 1 trailer and God leading the way
13 REPLIES 13

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I came from a 29' Travel Trailer, a Jayco Jay Flight 26BH so I needed room. The Aliners were just to small and crowded with their A frame roof. Europe has hard sided, flat roof campers but not here in the USA.

I went with a 14' box pop up so I had the beds for my family. I missed camping in a Pop Up when I had the Jayco Jay Flight. Felt I may as well stay home or do day trips as it wasn't like camping but staying in a hotel or cottage. Now I get to hear the wildlife at night and can sleep under the stars with all the windows open.

Back to my glorified luxury tent with all the amenities!
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I think a liner or the rockwood Or Jayco variants are good for solo campers only. Like slim potatoes.
Very minimalist one bed. One dinette. Or get the dormer for wet bathroom.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

t0mp0tt5
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same camper. I have a new 2020 Rockwood A122s and I love it.

I have made a few upgrades.
1 I installed Goodyear Endurance tires on 14" rims to replace the "China Bombs"
2 I replace the radio which is wired in MONO with A MBQuart 2.0 and Alpine speakers. Big Difference!!!
3 I added 2 deep cycle batteries for a total of 4. I use 2 100 watt solar panels and a Victron solar charge controller.

Here is a picture of mine.

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
About ten years ago, we bought a Pleasureway class B. We routinely pulled a trailer with motorcycle inside and canoe on top.

And, we're getting older (the octo years are just ahead). Though we still have the motorcycle(s) and canoe(s), we rarely take them any longer. Sad. Local/nearby - yes; a month's trip, not so much.

Se we decided to "add" an A Frame which we pull with the class B. We bought a Chalet XL1935 which we both like.

So, when we "arrive" at our destination, we park and unhook the Chalet, it becomes where we eat, sleep, etc., and use our class B as the "runabout".

We settled on the Chalet for several reasons. First, it was the only A Frame with a fresh, gray, and black tank. None of them large, but they're there. Permanent bed. Toilet/shower. Dinette, though just for two. 10,500 A/C. 3 way fridge. And, all the usual rest except, sadly, no genset. So we carry small Hondas for it; our class B has it's own genset.

We have made a few of our own mods to it, just as we have to our Class B - so that each lives and works as we want.

Among our Chalet mods are a PurpleLine Enduro trailer mover, solar panel for the batteries, backup camera, and the list goes on.

Setup is easy-peasey and quick.

Cheers.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
We leave table at home & use small folding table which works outside too. Also had smaller cushions made for dinette since my husband built a cupboard that goes from side to side in the front. Keep groceries, dishes in it. Sliding doors.

I sewed a waterproof cover for our stove so it can be left on the picnic table. Also made waterproof cover for a plastic 3 drawer unit - holds silverware, utensils & plates because we cook & eat outside. If weather isnโ€™t good, we often try a local restaurant.

He made 2 metal brackets that hook into left & right roof seam above sink. They support a wire shelf to keep clutter up & away.

When we sit down for dinner, I put on a teakettle of water so itโ€™s hot to do dishes. I only wash dishes 1x day. During the day I leave them in a plastic dishpan & cover with a white dish towel.

We use the campground shower house. Not running the water heater, thatโ€™s too much bother. Our water pump is just for the toilet and it was running all the time. We noticed the water connection coming out of the pump were cross threaded (meaning like when you put a jar lid on crooked) and when we corrected that, it quit. There was no leaking it just started & stopped all the time. We think itโ€™s solved now.

FredandKaren
Explorer
Explorer
Over the course of the last 15 years, we have transitioned from a tent, to a pop-up, to a 21โ€™, to a 30โ€™ super slide, back to a pop-up and most recently to a Flagstaff T21-FKHW A-Frame. We love it for the ease and speed of setup and floor plan. We wanted a hard side camper to camp in areas where tents and canvas sides are not permitted.
Fred & Karen Kennedy
2004 Terry Dakota 830Y
2004 Dodge 2500 SLT
"Don't be afraid that your life will end,
be afraid that it will never begin."

Tmeek
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies all. In all honesty, it takes me less than a minute to set up. I consider it to be a mobile cabin - just what I need and nothing more. I've had 26' and 30' travel trailers in the past and each of them was a bigger hassle to set up than the a frame. Don't plan to spend a whole lot of time inside - I camp to be outside. But it's a roomy enough cabin to be out of the elements when I have to. No potty, but there is a stove, fridge, AC and heat if needed. I may ditch the microwave for storage, but I'll make that decision after I go out a couple times.
2019 Nissan Frontier 2WD 4.0L V6, 2019 Rockwood A-122 A-Frame folder. 1 man, 1 dog, 1 truck, 1 trailer and God leading the way

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I traveled cross country and back last year and maybe saw 5 total. Stayed in campgrounds all but one night. I looked at them at the RV Supershow in Tampa last month and they are as much if not more than a small travel trailer. I would compare them to a truck camper for space and I loved my truck camper for traveling but not sitting up for more than 3 days. Seems easier enough to set up and think it would be ideal for traveling and camping.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 5 year old Aliner and kept it for one summer. One big negative for me was having to bend down for every item in storage; after having upper cupboards, it's hard to go back to no upper storage. I do hope you enjoy yours, though.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Wakita46
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven my Aliner scout for 39,800 miles and been in much of the U.S (48 states) and Canada (10 provinces). (see hoffsalinertravels.net)
I don't see why someone would say it takes a long time to set up. After you unhitch and level (5 minutes), it takes about 1 minute to pop it up. I have even popped it up at Walmart just to get something.
I like the fact that it was easy to stop one night and then move on, because I had a lot of miles to cover. I also got 19 mpg hauling it with a Toyota Highlander.
Popupportal has a lot more posts than this site for Aframes. You can also join Facebook pages for Aliners and Chalets and a forum for Aliners.

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
wife and I owned an Aliner sport-liner for twelve years and hauled it all across this great land of ours. One trip to Maine and back we were out in it for 3 months. Sold it two years ago and missed it so much we just bout another one. 2018 Sport.
I really was a lot like Slim potato head tho:B
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I havenโ€™t encountered an A frame in a couple of years. I watched the family set it up. Took forever IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
My sister and brother-in-law had one for a while. It was quickly replaced by a class C. They didn't like the toilet being right next to the galley with nothing but a cloth curtain in between.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015