cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is A New 2018 Still New?

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I'm looking at a Winnebago Class A floorplan I like and 2 or 3 dealers still have new units from 2018 in that floorplan. Is that a problem? For example, I have read that RV tires will need to be replaced after 3 or 5 years (I don't remember exactly) even if they don't have many miles on them. Are there other systems in a Class A motorhome that will decay from sitting on a dealer's lot for over a year? Would you be hesitant to buy a new 2018 Class A motorhome? The prices are below the best prices for 2020 models, and I like the upholstery better on the 2018.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
32 REPLIES 32

DallasSteve wrote:
Maybe it's time to close this thread.

Update: I decided to buy the 2020 model and we agreed to the terms today. Thanks for the input. I might have overpaid for the 2018 model if I didn't get these opinions.

Congrats on the new purchase ! Good Luck with it, and Happy Camping !

Glad your HAPPY with YOUR decision !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Sound alike a good decision!
The 18 wouldโ€™ve had to have been deeply discounted to even be considered.
Enjoy!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats on your new coach. Now get out and enjoy it. :B

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe it's time to close this thread.

Update: I decided to buy the 2020 model and we agreed to the terms today. Thanks for the input. I might have overpaid for the 2018 model if I didn't get these opinions.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Price it as a 3 year old used unit then factor in the low mileage, also does it have full factory warranty for the same period it would have if it were the current model? The tires, fluids, belts, and all other items are 3 years old. $10,000 off
is not enough in my opinion.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
How does your state figure your advaloram? In ga. Now they get everything up front based on vin. So your 3 year old(maybe 4) based on vin will save you a chunk over the purchase of a current vin. Might offset some loss.

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago I purchased a new 3 yr old camper that was advertised for 30% off. My offer to them was 50% off for cash. They said no way but before I left the dealership I signed the papers for just what I offered 50% off.
๐Ÿ™‚ 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
FireGuard wrote:
If you can get the new 2020 for $80k at 36% off, I wouldnโ€™t even consider $75k for a 2018. Maybe $60k.

EXACTLY! I wouldn't even consider the 18 for 10k difference. He'll lose more than that driving it off the lot!...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
No offense but it seems, to me, that you are emotionally attached to that unit.

If so, time to step back and readjust your thinking. Emotional attachment clouds our thinking.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
DallasSteve wrote:

Doug

I'm guessing you're not a diplomat. It's not one of the bigger, pricier bus type Class A models. It's what I call an "A minor". (Music humor from a programmer who worked with C#) I think I saw the term "crossover A" recently. The MSRP is about $125,000. The best price on a new 2020 is about $80,000. That's a 36% discount. The used 2018 is asking $75,000.

Not even close to cheap enough...as has been mentioned, the second you drive off the lot, it's a 3yr old unit as far as resale value. You will lose a lot more than $5k on resale value.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Chum lee wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. It's priced about $5,000 below the best price on a new 2020 model. I think I will offer about $5,000 lower and if they won't take that I'll probably try to get the new 2020 model.

IMO, you can do SIGNIFICANTLY better than that! Think about it. If FOR ANY REASON you have to trade this vehicle in, once it has been registered, even if it has 100 miles on it, it WILL be priced as a used 2018 vehicle and you will lose 3 years of depreciation value over new (2020) retail price. The fact that it is 3 model years old is NOT your problem, however, it could be, . . . . . . or, it could be a great opportunity for you to get a good/great deal on a 3 year old no miles RV. Be bold!

Chum lee

You raise a good point. People will see it as 2 years old as soon as I buy it. On top of that there was a new 2019 (same model) that I was looking at a month ago listed for $68,000. It sold pretty fast. And there was another new 2019 at $70,000 that went quickly. All were on RV Trader at those prices.

DallasSteve wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. It's priced about $5,000 below the best price on a new 2020 model. I think I will offer about $5,000 lower and if they won't take that I'll probably try to get the new 2020 model.

If it were me spending MY money, I would take the 2020 at $5k more...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:

IMO, you can do SIGNIFICANTLY better than that! Think about it. If FOR ANY REASON you have to trade this vehicle in, or, it gets in a major accident(totaled), fire, flood, etc., once it has been registered, even if it has 100 miles on it, it WILL be priced as a used 2018 vehicle and you will lose 3 years of depreciation value over new (2020) retail price. (or whatever price you paid) The fact that it is 3 model years old (in six months, four) is NOT your problem, however, it could be, . . . . . . or, it could be a great opportunity for you to get a good/great deal on a 3 year old no miles RV. Be bold, but, you take your chances !

Chum lee

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:

I would say itโ€™s a deal at $15 to $20k below a 2020 model.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!