cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless people coming to your favorite campground!

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
.... Currently at New Melones Resevoir ( Tuolumne County, CA ) and about 1/2 of the weekday campers are either at the lower end of the economic scale or not even on it. Ancient RV, no tent but living out of vehicle, pit bulls, unkempt & disheveled appearance, noise complaints, etc.... So far this has yet to affect us, but, it may in the future...
121 REPLIES 121

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walaby wrote:

Someone posted about offering solutions. Any solution has to come with a solid methodology to combat fraud. I feel that too many state and federal agencies operate under the premise that their jobs depend on how many people they get enrolled into the various programs. If there are less people who actually qualify, then there will be less jobs for the people who work those programs.

Mike

Yes, that is the way the programs are around here.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Walaby wrote:
I don't mind providing a hand up, but hate being part of a hand out.

What's even worse is just try calling in to report fraud. I have first hand knowledge of direct fraud, and tried to report it. All I can get is an answering machine, and I leave a message that never gets returned. Emails never get returned. Calls to "IG Hotline" go unreturned.

Someone posted about offering solutions. Any solution has to come with a solid methodology to combat fraud. I feel that too many state and federal agencies operate under the premise that their jobs depend on how many people they get enrolled into the various programs. If there are less people who actually qualify, then there will be less jobs for the people who work those programs.

Mike

Enter the graft and greed. We could afford every social program, hand out,meal ticket and subsidy.
In addition we could have all the missiles,rockets and corporate welfare that anyone could dream of, if only we could learn to do it efficiently without all the graft,squandering and corruption that goes with government programs.
It seem it cost the taxpayer $500.00 in overhead,corruption and inefficiency to spend $50.00
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't mind providing a hand up, but hate being part of a hand out.

What's even worse is just try calling in to report fraud. I have first hand knowledge of direct fraud, and tried to report it. All I can get is an answering machine, and I leave a message that never gets returned. Emails never get returned. Calls to "IG Hotline" go unreturned.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
You know, I don't mind paying taxes. (As long as those taxes go to the public good) And, I don't mind helping people out.

In my area the people getting paid to run the programs that help people out are the ones driving the Lexus's.

That is where I feel the waste is.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
theczar wrote:
We have both worked our entire life, me starting with a paper route.

You think you had it rough? At least you had a paper route. I wanted one and they were all taken in my neighborhood. One of my buddies had one and when he went to Japan for the Boy Scout Jamboree he let me throw his route for a month. After that I was out of work until about 5 years later I got a job washing dishes at age 15. (As if anybody cares)
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the effort Czar. I read your post.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
This discussion reveals a lot about how people think on this forum.
everyone needs to live somewhere. There is a fine line between Rving full time and living in an RV because they are few other choices.

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
theczar wrote:
...We have both worked our entire life, me starting with a paper route....

We did not buy the Lexus and Mercedes but instead a Hyundai....

I am tired of government officials having the ability to take my money and use it for their programs and initiatives I totally disagree with....

Isn't it interesting how those life choices lead to a disdain of government taking your money. Predominately, people who have earned their financial freedom are the ones who cherish it the most and despise those who try to take it. And people who have had it handed to them are the most willing to allow it to be taken.

I was driving the aforementioned clapped-out Plymouth when I graduated college. In 1994 I averaged 64 hours a week running restaurants. At 50 years old, last week, I bought my first new car. Paid cash, and it wasn't a Hyundai either. Earned every bit of it myself. Hated having to pay the tax to the government with my hard earned & saved money.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:
This Czar guy should learn to use paragraphs so his text is readable without undue effort. There's reasoning behind their use. When I see a huge blob of text like his I pass it by.

"The Russian Revolution happened when the peasants found out the Czar was really the Tsar." Woody Allen

Irish,

I am so sorry, I was concentrating on the message content, spelling, grammar, ensuring I don't offend anyone and missed how the carriage return dropped when I pasted the text. For you, here it is again with the paragraphs:

It is interesting to read these comments. I understand what flyboy is saying. Some people think that he is uncaring and they suggest they would embrace these homeless people he is writing about. That may be but I am not talking the "homeless" people that live in their RVs. I understand they are people that are most likely honest, trustworthy and overall good people. I live in Los Angeles and here there are probably more true homeless people than the population of many of your home towns. For those of you, I do not imagine you truly understand the problem. There is filth, crime, drugs and fear instilled on others who are simply passing by the person/encampment. I am tired of it everywhere I go. To mention it as flyboy has causes others to say he is intolerant among other names.

For you here are some of my thoughts. Here the governing officials decided to give free needles to facilitate the "safe" use of drugs, allowed recreational drugs to be sold and provide subsidies to many. A bureaucracy was expanded to support this (all of which I completely disagree with). This is funded by taking money (aka taxes and fees) from the majority of us out there. So now there is a problem that was at least partly created by these policies and the solution is more money to clean things up, cost of increased crime, direct expenses to get these folks off the street (vouchers, subsidies and in some cases free nights in hotels). Again this is on our dime on top of the money they already took from us to expand the problem in the first place.

I understand hard times. My wife and I are both immigrant families. Donโ€™t do drugs. We have both worked our entire life, me starting with a paper route. We both have had unexpected times of unemployment. We even moved back in with my Mother at one point to give us a chance to save money to buy a house. Once we bought a house, we did not use it as an ATM (equity loan) to buy things we "needed". We did not buy the Lexus and Mercedes but instead a Hyundai. Things were not always easy but we made it through. We give to our church that does many outreaches, give to charities that provide assistance to those who need it and want it. Now we are in a position where we are comfortable. I believe it is due to choices we have made and being blessed.

I have family members who quit their jobs because they did not want to deal with the BS (without a new job), do drugs where it impacts their ability to function, spend money way beyond their means, etc. That is fine if they do BUT they need to accept the consequences of their actions if things go bad. It is not my responsibility to now bail them out. I know there are exceptions out there but generally decisions have consequences.

In the same way I am tired of government officials having the ability to take my money and use it for their programs and initiatives I totally disagree with. Create a problem then take more money to fix the problem they created. Then people label me if I dare voice my opinion in opposition.

I have tried to rationally try to explain the other side. Many others have expressed their opinion that is different from mine. While I may completely disagree with yours, I respect your ability to express it without labelling you. I would expect the same respect in return.

PS. Caveman Charlie is a standup guy

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ And people should be less critical of others when the impact to themselves is insignificant.
Yet here we are....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
This Czar guy should learn to use paragraphs so his text is readable without undue effort. There's reasoning behind their use. When I see a huge blob of text like his I pass it by.

"The Russian Revolution happened when the peasants found out the Czar was really the Tsar." Woody Allen

Orcadrvr
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Tvov wrote:
Nicely said theczar.
I would agree with that.

What he said.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Agree. Czar nailed it.