cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorhome rocks excessively while driving down the highway

plattpd60
Explorer
Explorer
I have a class a Thor daybreak 28-ft motorhome that rocks excessively while driving on the highway it's not a sway issue it rocks excessively like it's way top heavy like to know any possible solutions to help this problem has anyone heard of possibly doing air shocks and if that helps
34 REPLIES 34

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. I never had any doubt it would fix your problem because you're complaint was identical to mine - before I did the fix. I can't believe folks are so eager to spend big bucks on new swaybars and other accessories instead of just trying it to see if it would work for them.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

plattpd60
Explorer
Explorer
New update I had the rear sway bar bracket replaced that was broken and I did the cheap handling fix CHF on my motorhome and it drives so much better now not half as much sway thanks everyone for your information that really helped me find out what my problem was

plattpd60
Explorer
Explorer
I need brackets and bushings. Not sure which ones to order. The Thor Camper Company said I need to give a Few Ford dealer my Vin #. Thanks for the info.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
For the bushings https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F53-Class-A-Motorhome-FRONT-Polyurethane-Sway-Bar-Bushings-1999-2011/2...

And from everything I have read Ford for the brackets. Skuterdude, the seller may be able to help with the brackets too. I'd send him a message.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Ford Stabilizer Bar Mounting Bracket 1C3Z-5486-AA

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=+Bracket+1C3Z-5486-AA&_sacat=0

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-1C3Z-5486-AA-BRACKET/dp/B000NS7P98/

Don Ford
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles

plattpd60
Explorer
Explorer
Well I went under my motorhome today and changed the front sway bar links to the cheap fix position when I went to the rear I found one of the brackets that holds the sway bar was broken right off I'm sure that didn't help much with my swaying. Now I have to find out where I can buy some bushings and new brackets to hold this sway bar on?

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
The rears are a little different but it has been long enough that I really can't remember what needed to be done. Flipping the Z brackets come to mind. It really isn't that hard.

Also take a read at https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/attention-ford-f-53-owners-read-305445.html about the loose bracket straps and wore out bushings.

plattpd60
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I am going to try the cheap fix. Front looks easy but back looks like it might be hard to do myself.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
plattpd60 wrote:
How do I find out what type of chassis I have on my 2013 Ford chassis of my 28 ft Thor daybreak motorhome?

If you've got a solid beam front axle (like a truck), you've got an F-53 chassis.

If you have independent front suspension with coil springs (like a pickup or van), you've got an "E" series chassis.
Don Ford

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did the cheap handling fix for the F53 chassis, front and rear on our class A and it did help a lot.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The OP had asked about air shocks and they definitely could help. we have a Workhorse chassis but we travel a lot in the Great Plains area of the country where the winds can be very high. Rather than sit in an RV park, I put air bags on the front and rear of the coach. I have a button on the dash to pump them up or to deflate them. When the winds start picking up, I just pump them up to around 80-90 PSI. This makes the ride a little rougher but on a good road, it is no big deal. It certainly stiffens the suspension and minimizes any sway caused by the winds. When I am on a rougher road or do not have high winds to deal with, I just drop the air pressure down to 20 PSI or so.

plattpd60
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
plattpd60 wrote:
How do I find out what type of chassis I have on my 2013 Ford chassis of my 28 ft Thor daybreak motorhome?

All Fords are F53. There are different versions of the F53 based on weight, but for the purposes of the CHF it doesn't matter.

There are some small class A motorhomes built on bare Ford E series chassis, too, such as for instance the Thor Axis for. That said, the great majority of Ford-based class A motorhomes are built on the F53 chassis, including one mentioned.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
plattpd60 wrote:

All Fords are F53. There are different versions of the F53 based on weight, but for the purposes of the CHF it doesn't matter.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS