cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price to expect if a RV dealer buys my coach

cwenger
Explorer
Explorer
I am interested in selling my Class A coach to a RV dealer and would like to get a ballpark price that I might get. I want to sell outright, not place it on consignment.

I entered my coach info to the NADA website which only gave me average and low retail prices. A RV salesman said not go by those prices but to get NADA dealer trade-in prices. I can’t seem to find that info on their website.

Can anyone provide a link to get NADA dealer trade-in prices?
28 REPLIES 28

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
kd7cxg-2 wrote:
I sold my 2013 Itasca 27N last spring. First I called PPL motorhomes to see what I could expect to get for it. The person I talked to said that if it was in excellant condition they would probably sell it for 45K to 50K. I decided to try and sell it myself. I put it on Craigs List and within an hour I got a phone call from a local RV dealer. He said that if it was in the condition I had advertized it as they would give me 42K for it. We made an appt. for them to have one of their people come look at it. He was here at 10:00 the next morning and spent about 6 hrs going over every thing and taking pictures which he emailed back to one of their appraisers. They agreed it was as advertized and paid 42K for it. They went through ACH and transfered the money to my bank account, the money was in my account before They would let me sign the title over to them. I figured this was the better deal since it would have cost close to 2K for me to deliver it to PPL.

I guess putting it on the web, and having to show the rv to a few people isn't worth 5 to 8 grand. You can bet if they paid you 42k, they sold it for 50k. To each their own.

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
I also sold an RV to a dealer. I was selling it for a friend who was terminally ill. I had many lookers, tire kickers and frankly the women (not to be sexist here) who were hung up on the curtains and interior colors. They wanted Cappuccino cabinets, not cinnamon. Really?

They RV dealer paid me my ask, which was fair, and away it went. Easy.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

kd7cxg-2
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my 2013 Itasca 27N last spring. First I called PPL motorhomes to see what I could expect to get for it. The person I talked to said that if it was in excellant condition they would probably sell it for 45K to 50K. I decided to try and sell it myself. I put it on Craigs List and within an hour I got a phone call from a local RV dealer. He said that if it was in the condition I had advertized it as they would give me 42K for it. We made an appt. for them to have one of their people come look at it. He was here at 10:00 the next morning and spent about 6 hrs going over every thing and taking pictures which he emailed back to one of their appraisers. They agreed it was as advertized and paid 42K for it. They went through ACH and transfered the money to my bank account, the money was in my account before They would let me sign the title over to them. I figured this was the better deal since it would have cost close to 2K for me to deliver it to PPL.
2013 Itasca Sunstar 27N
Toad: 2010 Toyota Corolla
Good Sam Lifetime Member

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
winniman wrote:
I can bet on one thing. The OP isn't going to like the answer he gets from a dealer. (read stealer). In their defence, they have a business to run. You cant give the farm away. You wont be in business long if you do. Selling privately is the only way to re-coup close to its retail value.

Finally, a CORRECT answer. Same applies to Automobiles. You NEVER end up ahead TRADING IN your vehicle/RV. You will get more money selling it yourself. The difference is, a LOT of people do not want the hassle of selling it. They would rather trade and take the hit. Doug
I don't see it as taking a hit, but rather as the price I am more than willing to pay to not have to hassle with selling it myself. Just like I am more than willing to pay someone $300 to wax my rig instead of paying $15 for the wax and doing it myself. When I trade or sell to a dealer I don't have to deal with crazy lookie loos, don't have to negotiate, do have to meet potential buyers when I could be doing something I enjoy. I don't have to worry that if the rig breaks in half a quarter mile down the road the buyer is going to come looking for me to fix it. Like a mouse, I am not worrying about the cheese, I just want out of the trap.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
They want to give you wholesale value or below.
That means something like 50-65% of retail.

dan23
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:

I agree with this.^^^ Without knowing the year, make, model, floor plan, options, condition, (photos worth 1000's of words) location, etc., IMO, it is impossible to even ponder a guess as to wholesale value.

Chum lee

As is standard internet practice, far be it from the OP to come back and fill in the facts for a factual answer. Who knows, the OP might not have even returned to read the replies. Waste of time.

angler
Explorer
Explorer
As was stated earlier. Take the low retail and 80% of that will be close to what you will get from a dealer. That's if you are getting a good price on the other coach.
2020 Jayco 34RSBS
2002 Tiffin Allego Bay
2010 Keystone Springdale 29bhssr
1998 Jayco Lite 244

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
winniman wrote:
I can bet on one thing. The OP isn't going to like the answer he gets from a dealer. (read stealer). In their defence, they have a business to run. You cant give the farm away. You wont be in business long if you do. Selling privately is the only way to re-coup close to its retail value.

Finally, a CORRECT answer. Same applies to Automobiles. You NEVER end up ahead TRADING IN your vehicle/RV. You will get more money selling it yourself. The difference is, a LOT of people do not want the hassle of selling it. They would rather trade and take the hit. Doug

winniman
Explorer
Explorer

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
winniman wrote:
Since we don't know what rv the OP has, it makes it harder to guess on the marketability of his unit. If it is a highly desired unit, he might get a better shake from a dealer. On that note, it wont be hard to sell privately either if that is the case. Maybe he has a 30 year old rv. Who knows.

I agree with this.^^^ Without knowing the year, make, model, floor plan, options, condition, (photos worth 1000's of words) location, etc., IMO, it is impossible to even ponder a guess as to wholesale value.

Chum lee

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
The bottom line is dealers are not in business to be your friend. If they can take advantage of you, they will. Doug's estimate is probably high, they'll probably start closer to 50% or less.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
What coach do you have? Year, make, model, mileage etc. Might help in people offering advice to speculate it's worth.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
NO DEALER WILL EVER OFFER YOU WHAT YOU THINK YOUR RV IS WORTH BUYING IT OUTRIGHT. ANY OFFER WILL BE AT LEAST 25% LESS THAN WHOLESALE. Doug
(In the RV business for 45 years and still in it)

cwenger
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for answering my post. Since there is a Camping World close by here in Florida, I may go there, as suggested, to find out if they will make me an offer. Thanks again.