Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Who is responsible for discounts?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Who is responsible for discounts?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am sometimes given a senior discount at restaurants without asking. I guess there is some advantage to looking old, worn out, and drug thru the mud.
bumpy

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel it is the responsibility of the Customer to ask for discounts for Good Sam, AARP, AAA, etc. However, the campground should ask all customers if they are active Military if they offer a discount for Active Military. It's just a nice thing to do.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/20 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

"DO you have triple A,AARP or are you a veteran?"
Practice saying that. How long did it take? was it a significant drain on your time?
Did it hurt you physically for those words to come out of your mouth?No?
Then why aren't your desk personnel trained to say those words to each and every customer?
If offering discounts has such an effect on your bottom line that you don't mention them, perhaps you need to do away with discounts all together.

Goes the other way too

Im retired military - do you offer a military discount?
I have Good Sam's. Do y'all take Good Sams?

Did that hurt you to say those few words

Let's say a campground offers half a dozen different discounts. Should the office person say

Are you AAA?
Are you AARP?
Do you have Good Sams Club?
How about Passport America
What about military, are you in the military? Retired?
Are you anything else that you think might qualify?

Geez...

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

pitch wrote:

"DO you have triple A,AARP or are you a veteran?"
Practice saying that. How long did it take? was it a significant drain on your time?
Did it hurt you physically for those words to come out of your mouth?No?
Then why aren't your desk personnel trained to say those words to each and every customer?
If offering discounts has such an effect on your bottom line that you don't mention them, perhaps you need to do away with discounts all together.

Goes the other way too

Im retired military - do you offer a military discount?
I have Good Sam's. Do y'all take Good Sams?

Did that hurt you to say those few words

Let's say a campground offers half a dozen different discounts. Should the office person say

Are you AAA?
Are you AARP?
Do you have Good Sams Club?
How about Passport America
What about military, are you in the military? Retired?
Are you anything else that you think might qualify?

Geez...

Mike

yep, just post a prominent sign at check in with "special information".
bumpy

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were at a state park in northern Ohio. Went to check in and asked if they have discounts for disabled veterans. The lady said, yes, do your have your papers to show your disability percentage? I replied yes, here they are, rated at 100%. She said fine, turned around shuffled some papers, made a copy of my letter. Then said here your are sir. Find a vacant campsite you like, put this on the post and thank you for your service. No Charge!
Sometimes it doesn't hurt to adk.

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ask about Good Sam. I feel asking about senior discount could be offensive to some people. Where we have had issues is two different situations. One is where only one person comes in to register and sometime down the road they come back in wanting to collect a discount they were reminded they had coming by their significant other. I am amazed at how many people didn't know their spouses signed them up for Good Sam. This isn't a problem if they come in on the same day, we can easily fix the transaction, but if it is a few days later, the books get messy since it is a discount without a corresponding site rental for that day..
It is also a loophole an employee could use to skim money. If it was a four to six 5 day stay and the stay was paid by cash the refund due a customer who neglected to get their Good Sam Discount would be $30.00 to nearly $50.00. Therefore management approval is required in these instances and that can take time.
The other instance is with online reservations. We have check boxes for all the potential discounts. If it is a one night stay, we take payment in full. If the customer doesn't check the appropriate discount and then requests it at check in, we have to process a credit card refund (we only refund in the same manner as payment was made to avoid any potential for fraud and all online reservation deposits are card payments) Those refunds cost us a substantial percentage of the refund amount due to transaction charges on top of the percentage we are charged on the actual amount. And just like your personal credit score can effect your interest rates, how many refunds we issue can effect our final negotiated credit card rates and if we don't get the best rates due to excessive refund transactions that can amount to $1000s of dollars in additional costs in a year.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I notice the question and replies are addressing who is responsible to ask for a discount. Who's responsibility is it? Wrong question.

What about rather addressing the issue from a public relation aspect? If a business asks a customer if they have any of their qualifying discount the business will grow in the customers eyes and admiration. If the customer has to ask has to ask for a discount the customer feels negative toward the business in that they have to ask for a lesser price.

I remember in my high school days while studying the psychology of business that the customer felt much better toward the business, if for instant they were buying loose seeds, (that was back in the day) and the clerk measuring out the seed would make sure not to over scoop the requested amount but make sure to re-scoop a second or third time making sure to get the exact amount the customer was requesting. It made the customer feel that the merchant was an extremely honest person and desirous to make sure the customer was not cheated.

The difference was if the clerk put too much seed into the scale and then proceeded to remove some to correct the amount. It made the customer think the merchant was a stingy and cheap person.

The question for the campground owner is which image do they wish to relay to their customers? What lingering "taste" do they wish to leave on their customer's palate?

I have witnesses a lot of businesses succeed and a lot of businesses fail in my 79 years and I do not believe any failed because they were overly nice and customer oriented. There is a saying in my neck of the woods; "The customer is always right." One unhappy customer is one too many for any business.

Who's responsibility is it to make and grow a business?

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Double post

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

I notice the question and replies are addressing who is responsible to ask for a discount. Who's responsibility is it? Wrong question.

What about rather addressing the issue from a public relation aspect? If a business asks a customer if they have any of their qualifying discount the business will grow in the customers eyes and admiration. If the customer has to ask has to ask for a discount the customer feels negative toward the business in that they have to ask for a lesser price.

I remember in my high school days while studying the psychology of business that the customer felt much better toward the business, if for instant they were buying loose seeds, (that was back in the day) and the clerk measuring out the seed would make sure not to over scoop the requested amount but make sure to re-scoop a second or third time making sure to get the exact amount the customer was requesting. It made the customer feel that the merchant was an extremely honest person and desirous to make sure the customer was not cheated.

The difference was if the clerk put too much seed into the scale and then proceeded to remove some to correct the amount. It made the customer think the merchant was a stingy and cheap person.

The question for the campground owner is which image do they wish to relay to their customers? What lingering "taste" do they wish to leave on their customer's palate?

I have witnesses a lot of businesses succeed and a lot of businesses fail in my 79 years and I do not believe any failed because they were overly nice and customer oriented. There is a saying in my neck of the woods; "The customer is always right." One unhappy customer is one too many for any business.

Who's responsibility is it to make and grow a business?
I put "the customer is always right" in the same bucket as feel good sayings like "follow your dreams" and "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again". Fact is the customer is not always right, following your dreams can be stupid if you have unobtainable dreams and not everything will be successful no matter how much you try.
And thousands of businesses that were customer oriented have failed. The local pharmacy has likely lost out to Walgreens and CVS. Your local hardware store and lumber yard went kaput not because they weren't friendly but because Home Depot and Lowe's crushed them. The local cafe lost to McDonalds and goodness knows Walmart put many nice, friendly people out of business. And when was the last time the milkman delivered fresh dairy products to your back door? Customer service is only part of the big puzzle that is a successful business.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I quite often ask about discounts for Retired Military. If they say "Why, yes!" I always present my DD form 2 (Retired) to show that I am in reality Retired Military. Of course, at the MAFB Famcamp, presenting the ID card is REQUIRED!
As for Senior discounts, if I ask for it, I present proof of birthdate. No problem.
AAA? No. AARP? No. Good Sam? Dropped it many years ago. KOA? Not at this time.
When I go to Costco, I am required to present my card twice; once to get in the store, and once to check out and pay. I do not find that offensive.
I have even found some places that give both the Retired Military and Senior Discounts. Not many, but it has happened. Yes, I think it is great!
I firmly believe it is my responsibility to ask about discounts. Often it works, sometimes it doesn't. I won't know if I don't ask!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Who is responsible for discounts?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.