cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Myrtle Beach - Ocean Lakes, Pirateland or Lakewood

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a fun family location for a few days at Myrtle Beach this summer. For those of you who have used the resorts listed above, which would you recommend for a family with 3 kids (11, 14 and 15)? Why?

Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I say defiantly no to Piratelane.

We love Lakewood. It is about 75% campsites 25% permanent villas condos. You cannot bring your own golf cart to Lakewood, unless you store your camper there of have a permanent site, which means there are WAY less golf carts. You can rent a golf cart, and the kids can enjoy the golf cart cruises still.

Ocean Lakes is very nice, but it is WAY to crowded for us in the summer, and you cannot move for the golf carts! We have a golf cart, but would rather rent one at Lakewood than deal with the interstate traffic of Golf Carts from Ocean Lakes

Lakewood sites are a little more roomier and you have more shade option than OL.

With that being said, we will stay at OL during the off season, but not prime time.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I would vote for Huntington Beach State Park. Short walk to the beach,nice nature lodge with nature walks, camp store and tour the former home of the Huntingtons. Some FHU sites, the rest W&E.It is much,much cheaper than the others.Just down the road from Murrel's Inlet.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
CFerguson wrote:
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Thanks all - I appreciate the insights. We settled on Lakewood. We want to be at the beach, but also want the amenities and activities for the kids. This is a 'fun' trip, not as much a 'relaxing' one, so we are ok with the energy and activity of the campground. Seemed like Lakewood was likely the best balance all around.

I think you made a good choice. OL is next door, so you can mosey on over there one day and see them for yourself if youd like.

And PirayeLand is on the other side. But you have to walk thru the Swash to get to it. not quite waist deep at high tide, and knee deep at low tide. depending of course on how tall you are.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Thanks all - I appreciate the insights. We settled on Lakewood. We want to be at the beach, but also want the amenities and activities for the kids. This is a 'fun' trip, not as much a 'relaxing' one, so we are ok with the energy and activity of the campground. Seemed like Lakewood was likely the best balance all around.

I think you made a good choice. OL is next door, so you can mosey on over there one day and see them for yourself if youd like.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Just another thought. See you are from Wisconsin. Be prepared for campgrounds where the sites are close, sometimes absurdly close together. The 'big 3' in MB are all tight. Some in Ocean Lakes are so close your neightbor's sewer connection could be under your awning! The 2 state parks have more space, but many sites are not sewered and none have access to cable tv or internet (as the 'big 3' do). Satellite TV is often not workable as well - particularly in MB state park. No pools at state parks either and neither have direct access to the ocean from the camping areas. All depends on what amenities matter the most to your family. We have camped in all the campgrounds in the area. If you would like to message me I might be able to answer questions you may have.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Camped in MB for many years before moving there in retirement. Would agree with the recommendation for MB Travel Park as 1st option. With 3 teens, however, I think Lakewood might just be best bet. All the amenities each could want and great location. Our sons spent many a week in that CG and always loved it. Was not thrilled with Ocean Lakes - it is too dammed big and too crazy busy and the sites are incredibly tight - no chance for any privacy at all. Pirateland, IMHO, was just a step down in quality from Lakewood. Now that we are retired (and have moved from MB area) we are into state parks. Both MB State Park and Huntington Beach SP (farther south and more isolated) are great but neither have many amenities. Suggest making reservations ASAP no matter where you decide to go.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have camped is all of the MB oceanfront private parks.

Our list is like this. PirateLand is the preferred CG. Because Security is WAAAAY better. the site on the beach are HUGE, and it is a quieter CG. golf Carts are parked at 11:00 PM. Yes it has all the frills that any of the rest do. And you can reserve a specific site if you pay in advance for 7 days.

Next is Myrtle Beach travel park. It has large pull thru sites, lazy river, and again. Quieter. Very nice. but their beach is very narrow. close enough to Apache Pier to walk to.

Then Lakewood. Nothing really wrong with Lakewood, Just way busier with golf carts running down all the side roads.

Then Apache. Small sites, Dated bath houses. But has a pier, and the widest beach of any of the MB, CGs. and like MBTP. is close to Barefoot Landing, And restaurant row, and Tanger.

Then ocean Lake. Ocean lakes is crowded, The beach site are TINY TINY. Last time we were there. Our awning hung out over the road. with people actually wanting to park their carts on our site, even under the awning. Golf carts are so thick there, it is hard to get across the beach road to the beach. They will run over you. Security there is a joke. They ride around in their Crown Vics, and never get out. and they don't stop the Golf carts at quiet time. They run all night long.

So for what it is worth. There are our choices. We have been camping at MB since about 2000. and yes, we take the kids. they grew from babies to adults camping at the beach. The camper we have now sleeps 10, so that the entire family can go.

BTW. we don't do the state park. Because many site don't have full hookup, and the sites are so far from the beach. I like to walk out of my TT, and onto the beach.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
For kid screaming activities, crazed golf cart drivers, late night drinking and fireworks on the beach, and employees that will lie to you, Ocean Lakes hands down.
Lakewood is more of a 'family oriented' CG imo.
No experience re Pirateland.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
I quit going to any of the big 3 years ago. I prefer Myrtle Beach State park.
Maybe I'm showing my age!
I've come to prefer less action people and excitement vs. more action, people and excitement

I totally agree with this and is in the same area as the big commercial parks. Another option might be Huntington Beach State Park.

In both cases kids will find other kids to meet and find things to do. Both have nice walking trails, great beaches. If you want shopping, restaurants, mini golf, real golf, water parks they are just down the road.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I quit going to any of the big 3 years ago. I prefer Myrtle Beach State park.
Maybe I'm showing my age!
I've come to prefer less action people and excitement vs. more action, people and excitement
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
My vote is for Pireateland! We walked the beach down to OL's. Wasn't impressed. Sites on top of each other seemed very congested!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Wjohns02
Explorer
Explorer
A vote for Lakewood. Been going there for 30 plus years. Tried Ocean Lakes once, too busy for us. Never camped at Pirate Land.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Carolina pines is the new one that just opened recently. Big water park on site but not sure if its open yet.

I work here in myrtle and watched it be built.

The good thing is its out near rt 22 and youll stay out of that crazy summer traffic.

https://www.sunrvresorts.com/carolina-pines/

If you have to be closer to the beach then one of the others..

ummm not pirate land though..

I would say ocean acres, but its a mad house there
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh