cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1996 Bounder Batteries

aog928
Explorer
Explorer
I bought some property and it came with a 1996 Bounder that the previous (older) couple had. They were pretty active RVers, and its in great shape but they have have since passed so I have no one to bounce questions off of. They did tell me everything was working but that it needed a fuel pump. The batteries were scavenged at some point (probably their grandkids) and all I have is a bunch of unconnected battery wiring and not sure what goes where. I'm pretty mechanical, meaning I do most of my maintenance/repairs myself for my other vehicles etc., but this is my first RV (take it easy) and can't do much without power. Anywhere I can find a wiring diagram?
11 REPLIES 11

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
On the positive post of your engine/chassis battery will be 1 large cable to the starter, 1 medium size cable to the alternator, 1 medium size cable to the hydraulic jacks, 1 medium size cable to the battery control center (BCC) and 1 small wire to the EEC-IV engine/transmission computer for memory. Only 1 large negative cable, going to the frame.
BCC is the black box on firewall on drivers side. Wiring print for BCC is on the inside of the cover.
I have seen Bounders of your era with the positive post in the front and the back. Makes no difference which way the battery is turned, if the cables fit.

As for the house batteries, your coach came from the factory with 2 6 volt batteries hooked in series. Unless someone has added more wiring, the batteries have one positive going to the BCC and one negative going to the frame and the jumper between the batteries.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
In a series of batteries, one battery will connect to the next battery etc. If you don't know what you are doing things can go bad fast and with serious consequences. Maybe you should get someone familiar with RV battery set ups to help you. You can't bet on the fact that the previous owners had it set up stock. They could have made any number of modifications to the battery set up.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

aog928
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. The wires are colored (red and black) so that helps. But there are more reds than I have Pos (+) terminals. From right to left, looks like the House battery(s) connections are straight forward, its when I get closer to the Engine battery where the extras are. They all are factory cables, so there may be some doubling up somewhere. I tried the ol' "where does it reach" method, but they could connect to the House or Engine battery(s) posts. It does have the Aux start button so one of those may be the extra wire. I will take pictures and post them next week. Thanks again!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hope this helps....Dennis

1996 Bounder Wiring Diagrams
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

1995brave
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get yourself a meter. Put it on ohms and connect one lead to a chassis ground. Take the other lead and start probing each battery cable. Each cable that shows 0 or very little resistance is a ground. Put in your chassis(start) battery and connect the negative post to one for the ground wires. Now take and connect one of the biggest cables left over to the positive terminal and try to start the engine. If it starts then that is your chassis positive, label them. If not try another cable. When you find them all(house and chassis) label them.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Also Black wires are usually but not always positive; And white wires are usually but not always negative.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
OP is not asking how to hook up batteries per se... he's asking which existing wires connect where.

Usually, red wires are positive.. if that's any help.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Join a Bounder Club -> https://www.bounder.org/

They'll be more help with your specific problems.

Bounders of America wrote:
Bounders of America (BOA) - an organization by and for Fleetwood Bounder owners.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
The bounder may have had two 6v batteries and a 12 volt chassis battery.
6v will be series wired to the 12v house system.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
This one should cover what you need. If not just ask. Just google these words

battery wiring diagram 12 batteries

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
There are plenty of YouTube videos describing how to hook up RV batteries. If post a picture of your wiring you may get specific help on how to connect up your rig.
Kevin