Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rheumatoid Arthritis.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Seems everyone is well.

Well I just found out last week I have Rheumatoid Arthritis.
They found unusual cells in my bones, from an MRI.
I see a Rheumatologist next month.
I have been degrading rapidly, pinched nerve in back ans so on.
What kind of medications, and treatments are available and is it possible to reverse it or cure it?
14 REPLIES 14

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
My husband has RA. Unfortunatly, he developed side effects from every medicine that the doctor has tried. Right now he is not taking anything but after the first of the year, has started working out three days a week at the local YMCA and is feeling better than he has in years. The goal is to improve muscle strength to take the load off the joints.

MODERATOR'S EDIT: Sorry to close a good thread, but CBD spammers were taking over. Feel free to open a new thread if there is a legitimate need.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Rheumatology is a trial and see method. It takes months.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I have an appointment ext week with a Rhumatologist.
I saw mention that it causes fatigue. That explains a lot. Pinched never in spine, and deteriorated gone discs. For a long time treated for Osteoarthritis.
From what I read not a real pleasant future especially with other damages from Agent Orange, eyes,vertigo and neuropathy diagnosed now changed to caused by RA both by Agent Orange.I really want to do some fishing but out of thee question unless we mange to buy a boat and other things. I loved wading for trout. I sure hope there is a cure forr others and me.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Seems everyone is well.

Well I just found out last week I have Rheumatoid Arthritis.
They found unusual cells in my bones, from an MRI.
I see a Rheumatologist next month.
I have been degrading rapidly, pinched nerve in back ans so on.
What kind of medications, and treatments are available and is it possible to reverse it or cure it?

Lots and lots of medications new and old.

Best to stick with old tried and true medicines at first since they are proven safe for liver and kidneys. Some rheumatologists are dumb as a stick like all MDs. If you need to find an aggressive one.

R/H HURTS! I HAD IT FOR 30 YEARS. It is now decomposing my spine.

Follow your MDs instructions to the letter. Blood tests are vital clues.

Don't listen to gossip or fall for wacky herbs or vitamins. They are a hoax.

Soak hands in warm water. Wear mittens while sleeping if you wake up with cold hands.

I use topical ointment pure DMSO. Sports doctors use it on million dollar pro athletes so they can return to the game
Not a miracle but works for a few hours on me. Utterly safe. External use only

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
Other than what what the others said! A real good Pain Management Clinic with a long term doctor who stay up with current health data would be a good choice. I have been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in my cervical (Neck) spine. Also in my lower lumbar spine by a back injury in 1985! I get by with the use of A
a 5% Lidocaine patch and hot cold packs and TENS nerve stimulator.

Best to You!

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
This is something you need to discuss with your Rheumatologist - my wife has taken various medications over 45 years ... sometimes they work great but slowly lose their effectiveness. One thing for sure - there is no cure right now and nothing on the near horizon. Like old age - it's something you ultimately adjust to.
Kevin

GT928
Explorer
Explorer
My mother takes Rheumate and it seems to help. It was actually recommended by her doctor. It is a supplement, but apparently it still needs to be prescribed by a physician. She is 94.
2011 Earthbound Golden Ridge
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
North Georgia

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I find that 4400 units of cod liver oil daily help my joint pains a great deal. Try it for a week--if there is no improvement--stop.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much everyone I know with RA has a different treatment plan based on their specific situation. Some are on different pills for each other, others on different infusion meds, and some on combinations. It all depends on how you react to different treatments. I will say they all seemed to have to through a couple versions of treatment options until one was found that worked the best with the least side effects.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
I have Rheumatoid. I started with excruciating pain in the shoulders and wrist to the point I was unable to function with help needed to do anything. I am currently on Methotrexate-7 each 2.5 mg. 3 tablets one day and 4 tablets several days later. Also Chloroequine (Plaquenil) at 200mg twice daily. Those two drugs are prescribed most often. Enbril taken under the skin once weekly. They do a good job of controlling the pain but still have stiffness and pain at times.

I also have Osteopenia and maxed out on it so it is no longer viable. Don't be surprised if you also have it. I have an appointment with my doctor in a couple of weeks and will probably prescribed Prolia by infusion.

You will be x-rayed, blood drawn and checked for TB.

Good luck and keep us informed on how you are doing.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

HannahFelly
Explorer
Explorer
The proper treatment is given by the doctor as per your specific situation. But unfortunately, don't expect this to be a treatable issue, the treatment is for pain amelioration and slowing the process, I hope I'm explaining it right. Once you have it, arthritis doesn't actually go away.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Find yourself a good doctor. My lovely wife was diagnosed when she was in her teens. There are a lot of great medications out there now. Wife is in her 60โ€™s weโ€™ve been fulltiming for over 13 years and she doesnโ€™t let it get her down.

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
I follow this guy.

I have had severe joint pain for 4 years now. Ive been trying to heal myself best I can.

Getting better. still working. some days are good, others not so much.

https://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/rheumatoid-psoriatic-arthritis
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t know but wishing you the best.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad