cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about inverter transfer switch

Rocknxj
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased this 2007 TropiCal coach and it has a Xantrex 458 inverter/charger and a QD 8000 genset. When I switch from inverter to generator and from generator back to inverter it interrupts power and shuts off whatever is running, like the TV, DVR, etc. I'm trying to determine if this is normal with this setup or not, and what to do about it. I've talked to a couple friends with MH's and their stuff doesn't shut off when they switch back and forth. I have experience with a Xantrex 3012 in a sailboat it is seemless switching from inverter to generator and back. Wondering if I just need to buy a newer inverter. Nothing wrong with this one, works and charges fine, just frustrating how things shut off. Makes it very hard to work the DVR...serious problem. 🙂
'00 F450 CC 4x4 XLT PSD
Full air bag rear suspension, Banks Brake, 74 gal fuel, PU bed conversion

'04 Lance 1161, side entry
21 REPLIES 21

Rocknxj
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Rocknxj wrote:
Just looked up UPS's, I'll get one ordered and plug the TV into it, and might as well plug a couple other things into it as well. Should solve the problem, and cheaper than replacing the inverter.
Please post what you get and how well it works.

OK, I got this UPS and it doesn't work.

AmazonBasics Standby UPS 400VA 255W Surge Protector Battery Backup, 6 Outlets

It works to keep the TV from shutting off when switching back and forth from inverter to generator, but it doesn't like the modified sine wave from the 458 inverter. The UPS stays on and charges up with the generator running, but it shuts off and sets an alarm for frequency beyond 47-63 hz when on just the inverter.

Anybody have a UPS that they know works with the Freedom 458 inverter or any other modified sine wave inverter? I can buy a new Freedom 3012 pure sine wave inverter with a 10 ms internal switching time, which should solve the problem on it's own. But, I was hoping that a $40 UPS would solve it.
'00 F450 CC 4x4 XLT PSD

Rocknxj
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Rocknxj wrote:
Just looked up UPS's, I'll get one ordered and plug the TV into it, and might as well plug a couple other things into it as well. Should solve the problem, and cheaper than replacing the inverter.

I ordered this one from Amazon. Got it, and I'll plug it in tomorrow to see how it works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073Q48Z95/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AmazonBasics Standby UPS 400VA 255W Surge Protector Battery Backup, 6 Outlets
'00 F450 CC 4x4 XLT PSD

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rocknxj wrote:

Rocknxj
Explorer
Explorer
You could be referring to the main transfer switch for the shore power, mine makes a click that can be heard. My understanding is that keeps shore power isolated from the on board power sources. There is also a transfer switch inside the inverter/charger. I found on the Freedom 438 that I have that the switch time is 25-40 ms. Like someone else here shared, my HD TV still clicks off but the other stuff I found is staying on. The newer pure sine wave Freedom 3012 has in internal transfer switch speed of only 10 ms which they say is fast enough to not disturb electronics. I have experience on a sailboat with the 3012 and none of the many electronics are disturbed when switching from inverter to genset and back, and the genset is on auto start. I was ready to buy a new 3012 inverter if needed, but using a UPS is a great idea and I have one ordered.
'00 F450 CC 4x4 XLT PSD

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine does the same thing and has done so since new. I can hear the switch activating when switching over. Monaco techs said it's a safety feature built into the coach and is normal....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Rocknxj
Explorer
Explorer
oldave wrote:
Try visiting IRV2 they have a forum for National RVs .
Someone there will probably know the answer .

I don't think my Monaco Windsor does as you describe .
I suspect the manufacturers wired coaches up differently
resulting in behavior like yours .

Ray

Thanks.....will do.
'00 F450 CC 4x4 XLT PSD

Rocknxj
Explorer
Explorer
As I keep messing around with this, I've isolated that really just the HD TV is turning off when switching back and forth from inverter to generator. The DVR and the satellite box stay on. Just looked up UPS's, I'll get one ordered and plug the TV into it, and might as well plug a couple other things into it as well. Should solve the problem, and cheaper than replacing the inverter.

Now I need the batteries to not run down so fast when the inverter is left on. I just ordered an SG200 battery monitor system, the newest one from Balmar, which gives both accurate SOC and SOH and has Bluetooth. See how good my battery bank is. Probably go from 4 to 6 batteries.

Thanks for the info and ideas.
'00 F450 CC 4x4 XLT PSD

MrWizard
The OEM TS between shore cord and generator
Has a time delay before 'ON' to allow the generator to come up to speed and stabilize

When shutting down, the generator head will try to maintain voltage but it will drop, the TS will maintain/hold the contacts until the voltage has already dropped below the threshold needed for the modern power supplies in electronics to work
So the electronics are turned off power loss before the RV TS can switch over
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it has to do with the efficient modern switching power supplies. Previously the old heavy transformer, diodes and large capacitors would carry the device as the power switch was made.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Whenever my generator starts while I'm on battery power my satilite receiver reboots and I have to wait to get the signal back. Aggrvating because everything else seems to switch without a blink.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
We ended up adding an Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) before each of our TV's and DVR's. Ours would only reboot about 50% of the time when switching between generator and inverter but as you say, it was annoying. Less than $40 each solved our problem https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001985SWW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Try visiting IRV2 they have a forum for National RVs .
Someone there will probably know the answer .

I don't think my Monaco Windsor does as you describe .
I suspect the manufacturers wired coaches up differently
resulting in behavior like yours .

Ray

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
My guess is, you will experience power interruption when utilizing ANY external transfer switch. Just the "nature of the beast". The only solution is to purchase an inverter/charge with a built in transfer switch that specifies a fast transfer time.

External transfer switches are by design what is called a "BREAK BEFORE MAKE" switch. this means the normal "Shore" connection turns off, THEN the Inverter turns on.

How my Xantrex does it internally without a blink I do not know. But with one exception (A Sat Receiver) I've never seen a blink when it transfers

What I suspect is a bit technical for this post.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times