cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dogs with jobs

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any interest in stories about dogs doing farm jobs? It is lambing time.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M
50 REPLIES 50

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Reneeโ€™s puppy Hattie has been getting training for the past few months. She is really interested in the sheep. When not in the field working she likes to sit and watch sheep through windows. This is a favorite spot.

Sorry about the rotated image

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
We have one field that is secure and a couple more that are not secure. The job here is to move the ewes and lambs to a gate, hold the flock away from the gate while I unlock the gate and then move the flock through the open gate.

Fern moving ewes and lambs
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve been streaming a bbc documentary about farming. Three families from the city are put onto a farm to learn about various types and size of farms by doing the jobs. Entertaining and educational.

The Family Farm

Weโ€™ve been streaming from Acorn.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
We did not breed about 20 ewes last fall; the lambs we kept as replacements and a few adults to be used for training our dogs. Here is Lee doing an exercise I call โ€œdriving squares: Lee Driving.

The goal is to make the sheep move calmly in straight lines to a corner and the make a sharp 90 deg turn and the proceed on a straight line to the next corner.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Good haul of lambs, looks like.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Last Saturday the last pregnant ewe delivered a single.

Ewes lambed: 54
Singles: 18
Twins: 35
Triplets: 1
Died: 2
Lambs: 90
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, same 2 rams were used.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:

The most unusual static this year is the gender ratio. These same ewes and rams produced close to 50/50 female/male lambs last year. This year I think the ratio is close to 90/10 female/male.

Wow!! Same ram(s) being used as sire?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
We are down to one pregnant ewe that looks like will wait until the end of the lambing time (as determined by how long the rams were with the ewes + 5 months gestation).

Ewes lambed: 53
Singles: 17
Twins: 35
Triplets: 1
Died: 2
Lambs: 89

The most unusual static this year is the gender ratio. These same ewes and rams produced close to 50/50 female/male lambs last year. This year I think the ratio is close to 90/10 female/male.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Selective breeding has been used to develop the breeds of domesticated species (dogs, cats, cows, pigs, sheep, etc) where individuals with desired traits were bred and others were not. Traits like: thriving in a region (Shetland ponies), having desired work functions (German short hair pointer), or enhancing production traits (milk production of Holstein cows or fast growth rates like Suffolk sheep). Today we can a new breeding criteria for livestock: cuteness. There is a lucrative market to sell cute livestock for pets/lawn ornaments. Alpacas are one example. A new example is Valais Blacknose Sheep

(Take a look at the list of Breeds of Livestock from Oklahoma State University. Note how many different breeds there are.)

We are working towards minimizing the inputs (feed, aid during laming, need for bottle raising orphan lambs, etc) while maximizing output (total weight of live lamb produced; numbers and individual weight) after 8-10 months of pasture raising lambs. To reach these goals we select for ewes that will consistently produce and raise twins on their own; we are also selecting for ewes that do not require treatment for intestinal parasites. We are the opposite of intensive livestock farming.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Our ewes are allowed to have 1 single in their first 2 breedings, after that if they deliver a single they will be removed from our flock

Vewy intewesting! I wasn't aware you could control this but I suppose if you can breed labs to get specific colors anything is possible.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
For our breed, katahdin hair sheep, with good nutrition (lush grass) twins are common. Our breeding goals include selection of ewes that deliver and raise twins.

Ewes that are raised with less ideal nutrition, less lush grass (think western range grass vs eastern pastures), are more likely to produce singles.

Our ewes are allowed to have 1 single in their first 2 breedings, after that if they deliver a single they will be removed from our flock.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Wow, that's a lot of twins. Is that normal, or just your flock, Mark?

Czarny, black cat