cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need file repository for sharing large files

I am doing a project of digitizing my fathers old slides from the 60's during his 5 year Air Force posting to France.

Couple thousand slides of camping trips throughout Europe and England. We traveled extensively through France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Holland, England and more.

I am making high quality scans to share these files with my family, so each image is 13 to 15 megs.
I am also making PowerPoint presentations of each tray of 50 slides. These run about 150 megs per file.

I need some kind of online repository to upload all this stuff to so I can send out links and passwords to the people I want to share this with.
It has to be able to be password protected, and have the option of viewing the available folders to choose what to download.

Being quite techno-savvy, I have an understanding of various file storage platforms and such.

With my Amazon Prime subscription, I have Amazon Photos. Although Dropbox is available, I have never used it. I think it is limited anyways. There is also Google Drive and similar.

A lot of these have limits on how much you can store. And I don't want to pay a monthly fee, not going there. Don't mind a one time shot to the wallet but aside from my Office 365, I refuse to do the rent your software thing.

I'm leaning towards my Amazon Photos included in my Prime membership, but haven't really researched it much. Gotta find out how far out it can be shared.

Any thoughts on something simple and basic to do as outlined above?

Thanks.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
36 REPLIES 36

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gdetrailer wrote:
joebedford wrote:
"Most cameras default to 72 DPI and at 10 Mega pixels results in a photo with a "native size" of 64"x 48"."

Uhhhh, whut?

:R

UMM, YEAH.

HERE YOU GO..

That is a screen capture of the DEFAULTS of a 10 mega pixel picture, I have not altered or changed this file in any way.
None of my digital cameras have a screen even vaguely resembling what you have posted. What program is that screenshot from? This is what show in W10 for my little camera: 180dpi, file size 6.06MB

I've been quiet here the past few days.... I've been fiddle fooling around with an old toy.

One suggestion was literally within arms reach, sitting at my desk typing on my laptop.

Thank you STBRetired for the idea.

I had totally forgotten about my NAS unit. It has resided in the hutch of my desk for years. So I dragged it out, found the cables and such and plugged it in. It has been unplugged since I think early 2014, maybe longer, when I left the west coast. Used to run it on Win7.

I sorta remember back then that it was capable of hosting. I could send a link or something, people could grab a shared folder. Perfect.

So I plugged it into my Win10 machine, stuck an RJ45 into it and the router and fired it up.

Please enter your username and password. Uhhhh.... That was years ago... I have no idea what it is. Tried a few of my old ones I could remember but no cigar on that.

Did an OS reinstall, updated this and that, got into the thing.

Well, 7 year old technology, much is obsolete, safety protocols, certificates ad nauseum....

Finally got the thing so I could access it on my local network. Aha, thought I was away to the races. Nope! The internal apps that do various things are no longer in existence, nor are they supported.

Rats...

This is a wonderful little device, but it appears at this point I'm unable to do file sharing with it unless I can poke around and find a way to open a door to the internet with it.

I found out I need firmware something version 6, but that is only for newer devices. Can't put it on mine. I can go max ver 5.3.7 firmware...

Rats again...

It's a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo V2. I paid a fair chunk of change for it in 12 or 13, plus the 2 - 2tb drives I put in and set as a mirror RAID. This would be perfect if I can get it working the way I want.

Oh well, I forge ahead and I once again thank everyone for the input here. I'm not done with this NAS deal yet but may have to use it as a wheel chock or something.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

mustard
Explorer
Explorer
I just created a 500GB USB memory stick for less than $115. Just two components from Newwegg.com. All I have to do was to be able to unscrew and screw 5 screws to put it together. Could have created one 2TB in size. It depends on the M2 card size you buy.

Just a thought for your acrhive of your files.

If you have a current router such as one from netgear, you might be able to put the USB drive on it.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
"Most cameras default to 72 DPI and at 10 Mega pixels results in a photo with a "native size" of 64"x 48"."

Uhhhh, whut?

:R

UMM, YEAH.

HERE YOU GO..

That is a screen capture of the DEFAULTS of a 10 mega pixel picture, I have not altered or changed this file in any way.

The native file size is approx 4 MB in size (the size listed in the screen shot is IF I saved the file in Photoshop default of a PSD format which is not readable by any other program but it enables you to modify and track changes and undo them any time).

IF I change the DPI to 300 and the canvas size to 8x10 the file shrinks to 1.2 MB which IS a far more reasonable size to incorporate into a Word Doc or Power Point slide show where the image "quality" is borked by MS Office anyway.

So far, EVERY digital camera I have owned, my DW has owned and my DD owned from 1 megapixel up to and including 14 mega pixel ALL DEFAULT TO 72 DPI.

You CAN change the DPI then reduce the canvas size with very little pixel loss if you are careful but yet reduce the overall file size.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, your scans are way way too big. I've done testing of sizes, and on a screen to view, 900 pixels is plenty big enough. On TV screen, 1280 to 1500. In fact for general viewing via web, my pics are in the 300k size.

Storage, I have a server, with Raid 5 at the B&M, which can be accessed via internet. I have a duplicate server off site... which reminds me, I need to update it again ๐Ÿ™‚ Additional large HD, which has most of the data, that is in the camper. Note on the server at B&M, I had to go to HTTPS because of the number of pings and log in attempts coming from overseas. It hasn't stopped, but it has slowed considerably.

The server is running Plex, which anybody I allow can get access to photos, music, and video on the server.

Also you can set up a website, godaddy makes it easy to set up a website and that could also be used to store your data.

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
In order to share your files they must be stored somewhere and somehow.

Since you have a subscription to Office 365, you have 1TB storage available to you on Microsoft OneDrive. You can make any files stored there shareable.

What is your reasoning for not using this service.

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

MrWizard
And how many grains of silver emulsion per inch
On film
I scan at 300dpi

72 dpi does not match the The sensor in a digital camera
Less than 0.25" square and a 6-MegaPixel image
That is 3264*1836 pixels

My 8 year old Samsung pocket digital is 14.2 Megapixel with 18x optical zoom
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

Uhhhh, whut?

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Another alternative - large memory sticks are dirt cheap now and you can load your completed project on a stick and send one to each family member. Just a thought.

I digitized about 150 trays from various family members a few years back and that is kinda what I did. I snailmailed CDs to remote folks and just visited the homes of nearby relatives and D/L'ed it all onto their hard drive.

I encourage everyone to do this. Now if someone sets off a nuke on top of me, they'll have to also nuke several other states to get all my photos.
Seriously, you cant have too many backups.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Again, more great input from all, thank you.

It isn't likely that any of us will be printing these pics. Maybe a select few will ever see the printer.

The primary recipients of my work are 2 brothers.
One of my brothers is heavily into photography and does extensive photo editing of his work. He lives in Cabo Mexico and does a lot of wildlife photography there. He, like myself is picky about quality and detail.

Amongst the 3 of us, we have 12 children. They likely don't care as much about high quality as my one brother and I do. But if I am going to scan them, why not do hi res pics instead of low? High can be reduced, but low cannot be increased.

Most of us, including the kids, have large smart TVs. The viewing device of choice will mostly be showing them on these large screens. Therefore, the higher the quality, the better for seeing a 4 foot wide image. I ran a few on mine and I like the quality..

DW and I are part of our Churches "Tech Team", our Church has two main projection screens in 16x9 format. The screens measure 100" diagonal.

Even rather low resolution pictures of 1 mega pixel show really well unless you are viewing it at 10 ft from the screens and then you will see the pixelation..

Closest seat to the screen is 20ft, furthest from the screens is 125 ft to the back and that is where the Tech booth is.

We have played highly compressed low res You tube video clips, SD video from DVD and full 1080 HD video along with photos which from the original scanned in size as small as little 2"x3" can be blown up and still show decent results.

If you have Photo shop Elements you can resize the photo size form the default size while adjusting the DPI setting up to 300 or 600 DPI.

Most cameras default to 72 DPI and at 10 Mega pixels results in a photo with a "native size" of 64"x 48".

Resize that to 8"x10" at 300 DPI and the result will be a much smaller file size and the photo should still look great end when displayed on a 24" or even 50" screen. May have some noticeable pixelation if you get up close or zoom in.

Film scanners and even bed scanners may have 600, 1200,2400 DPI and yet the actual size is of what your source is. Example scan a 35 mm negative and you will get a 1200 DPI file with only the size of 1"X 1" and have a file size of a 10 mega pixel camera.. Lower the DPI to 300 but increase the size to 8x10 and you will get similar result of a smaller file size but yet plenty of resolution for displaying on a large screen.

Thing is to experiment until you get a good compromise in file size without over pixelization on the largest screen you expect it to be displayed on.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
The nice thing about the high resolution files is you can zoom in on someone or something and it won't be as pixelated as if they were a lower resolution file.

"Hey is that Uncle Ferd, or Aunt Dixie?".
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Fizz wrote:
Do a bit of experimentation first, see what size you can get away with.

Do this. ^^^^
Larger picture may mean larger file but larger file does not mean better picture. DPI is king.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Fizz wrote:
Doesn't matter how large your TV is you don't get more pixels they're just bigger.
While that's literally true, there are a lot more pixels in a 4K TV: 3,840x2,160 than plain old HD: 1920x1080

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't matter how large your TV is you don't get more pixels they're just bigger.
Do a bit of experimentation first, see what size you can get away with.

I display all my pics on my iPad or 58" Samsung. If the images are focused I don't need more than a few megs for a good image to show up.