Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Quiet boondocking Moab + South Grand Canyon late march
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Quiet boondocking Moab + South Grand Canyon late march

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quiet campsites (boondocking) Moab/South Grand Canyon area late march

Hi all

We will be in a 4x4 pop-up truck camper, (so easy to off road) and I'm looking to find scenic quiet safe boondocking late march.

Specifically just 2 areas - (sadly short on time and limited to only these 2 areas)

just a tiny bit north or just south of Moab, UT (so easy dinner in Moab that night)

and also at, or very close to the South rim of Grand Canyon.

Yes of course we'll watch for road closures, and watch the weather....

and I believe that roads may close that make it impossible to get to the South rim of the Grand Canyon.

We are fully self contained, and prefer scenic and quiet boondocking.

Thanks for any suggestions! :-)

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not very scenic but close to Moab

Ken's Lake BLM at N38° 28.568' W109° 25.623'

or

Horse Thief BLM at N38° 34.983' W109° 48.972'

More distance to Moab but scenic

Lock Hart Rd BLM and Hamburger Rock BLM at N38° 11.026' W109° 40.092'

At GC say in the park.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know there are good spots up in the San Juan Mountains just across the border into Colorado. And there are places down near South Rim. Check Free Campsites. I've heard there are spots along the river east of Moab but those supposedly are only a few and usually full. Yeah I see them on that site above along the La Sal road.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BarryG20

Castle Rock, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

March in Moab isn't going to be empty. The jeep safari is 4/4-4/12 this year just be aware. As some mentioned along hwy 128 and the river, north of town on the west side of the hwy are some areas, not much south of town until you get a ways. One campground while I haven't stayed there recently I used to love it as it was quiet and off the beaten path but easy to get to. South of Moab about 30ish miles is the canyon rims recreation area. Windwhistle campground is a campground and not true boondocking but no hookups. Water and toilets may be available depending on when they open them up. If you continue on that road there are several turnoffs to the south for real boon docking and there are some excellent sites back up in there. Just hit dinner before you head out of Moab or head down to Monticello as another option.

Also Someone mentioned Hamburger rocks down by the Needles district just outside the park. Nothing wrong with the area at all but that is about 70 miles from Moab though you are only a couple miles at most from the needles district of canyonlands np. Also I think not sure if I would call it quiet but kane creek road (at the macdonalds) leads to hurrah pass and on the way I believe there is some boon docking and overflow camping as well but the boondocking is literally right off the side of the road. While no real issue at night during the day the road can have some traffic on it and after a while it turns dirt so can get dusty with the traffic.

2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a good network of forest roads east of Tusayan, Arizona -- just don't choose a site too near the airport. Lots of sightseeing helicopters. But lots of boondocking. Download the MVUM from the forest service -- very helpful map!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good idea.

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LosAngeles wrote:

Quiet campsites (boondocking) Moab/South Grand Canyon area late march

Hi all

We will be in a 4x4 pop-up truck camper, (so easy to off road) and I'm looking to find scenic quiet safe boondocking late march.

Specifically just 2 areas - (sadly short on time and limited to only these 2 areas)

just a tiny bit north or just south of Moab, UT (so easy dinner in Moab that night)

and also at, or very close to the South rim of Grand Canyon.

Yes of course we'll watch for road closures, and watch the weather....

and I believe that roads may close that make it impossible to get to the South rim of the Grand Canyon.

We are fully self contained, and prefer scenic and quiet boondocking.

Thanks for any suggestions! :-)

Good source of info Here

Should have no issue on the South Rim - Come in on RT 64 from the east - Might catch Monument Valley and Goosenecks on the way south.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We boondocked in a 40’ fifth wheel on Forest Service Road 302, just south of Tusayan. We were a few miles down the FS road, and took a “two-track” back about 1/4 mile off of the FS road. It was scenic, quiet, and other than a small herd of elk....we had no visitors! [emoticon]

We use several camping “apps” which help in finding recommended boondocking/camping spots. Two of the “apps” we use are, RV Parky and ALLSTAYS from my wife’s cell phone. Another app to consider is “Campendium”, there are other “apps” that be found on a “smart phone”! memtb

* This post was edited 02/18/20 09:07am by memtb *

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

prichardson

Lafayette, La

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the Grand Canyon South Rim consider the NPS campground at Desert View. While not true boondocking its location within an easy walk to the rim and away from the crowds at Canyon Village make it very pleasant.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Staying within walking distance of the South Rim, even if it is not boondocking, is a great idea -- we did, and the sunsets were amazing. No need to hunt for parking!

They say the sunrises are great, too, but they tend to occur too early in the morning for me. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Quiet boondocking Moab + South Grand Canyon late march
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.