cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What about a Keystone Bullet Colt 17Ft Travel Trailers?

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked at a few smaller 15-17', single axle trailers and ran across a 2018 Keystone Colt trailer. I realize Keystone is not top of the line, but it's build quality looked ok. The others I saw in person were the rPod (nice design/suspect quality) and the Winnebago Cube.I favor the Winnebago for its build quality. Comments on the Keystone trailer most welcome. Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had never heard of Pacific Coachworks! They have some cool small trailers -- some of us like cramped quarters!

Here is a link to their site:

Pac Coach
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another trailer mfg I'm not familiar with: Pacific Coachworks and their Mighty Lite trailer. If anyone has experience with this brand, please post your thoughts, good, bad, whatever.I'm heading to Napa tomorrow to see in person.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Pacific-Coachworks-Mighty-Lite-17RK-123335743?cmp=rvreviews-listing

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Shorter trailers with only one axle will "porpoise" badly on rough roads.

I've had two different single axle campers and never had a problem with porpoising. I had a blowout on one of them at around 65 MPH once, I pulled over and changed it, no swaying or loss of control like so many on here think is going to happen. It's all in how you load it.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, they have dealers in both states.
Dealer locater
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I would also take a close look at the Venture travel trailer models in the length you are wanting. They have a lot of good features including a large shower in the rear bath and the use of the murphy bed up front which gives you the advantage of a full bed and the sofa at the front of the trailer. They also have a continuous one piece roof that runs from the bottom front to the bottom rear of the trailer. It should be less prone to leaking at the seams than normal TT roofs.
If I were in the market for a small TT, they would definitely be on my short list.
Barney

Thank you Barney. This is a fine looking trailer and I like the way they utilize the space with that murphy bed and the seamless roof. I'm checking to see if they have a dealer in California or Nevada.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would also take a close look at the Venture travel trailer models in the length you are wanting. They have a lot of good features including a large shower in the rear bath and the use of the murphy bed up front which gives you the advantage of a full bed and the sofa at the front of the trailer. They also have a continuous one piece roof that runs from the bottom front to the bottom rear of the trailer. It should be less prone to leaking at the seams than normal TT roofs.
If I were in the market for a small TT, they would definitely be on my short list.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
After some closer inspection of the Keystone (and crawling under it), I'm passing as the quality of the materials used are a bit suspect. Same with the rPod and I now realize that with the tires to the outside of the trailer, they lose about a foot of width inside. Looking today at Lance and Winnebago Micro Mini. The Mico Mini takes me to double axel and I'm moving more towards this setup.Looking at the 1706FB:
https://winnebago.com/models/product/micro-minnie

If anyone see's any red flags on this rig, do tell. Thanks again.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 17' single axle and have not noticed and porpoising. Maybe because my tow vehicle is larger than the trailer. I have no problems pulling or backing a 17' TT with single axle.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Shorter trailers with only one axle will "porpoise" badly on rough roads.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone falls victim to being such a large player in the RV industry, more units, more publicity.

After extensive research and participation at many RV shows it was evident the wife found Keystone trailers most appealing.
We ended up with a 2020 Outback.

This is our 4th trailer of various manufacturers and every trailer required some level of handyman skills to avoid warranty.

CCrew
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't. If you do your research there's an ongoing issues with the floors in the 2018/2019 Bullet models. Essentially the laminate construction has proven to be an issue with a large # going back to Keystone or not fixed (in the case of ours) with Keystone bailing on a lot of warranty. They've been redesigned for 2020, but 18 and 19 are problem years.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Twenty-seven gallons of fresh water and a max cargo weight of 1000 pounds doesnโ€™t impress me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad