cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Side Dish Recipes

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to a rally in April...and providing side dishes and desserts for some of the meals. I know what I'm making for the dessert, but need some ideas for a side dish, other than just potato salad, baked beans,etc.

Thanks for any suggestions!
11 REPLIES 11

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
A lot pot lucks are just carbo festivals.

The way God intended it! Lol!
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

SARGUY
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Cooks.com and do a search for side dishes,plenty of choices for any occasion.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot pot lucks are just carbo festivals. I get tired of macaroni, potatoes, and bread.

I like unusual salads like Mexican winter salad. Everything available in the desert in January, avocado, oranges, jicama, raw onions, lime juice, pina.

Homemade salsa of many varieties is always appreciated.

Bake some root vegetables together. onions, sweet potatoes, carrots, turnips, etc.

green beans with mushroom soup

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
When I think about side dishes, I think vegetables, so here are a few easy, but delicious ones.

Kale-Brussel Sprout Salad (like at Cracker Barrel) Recipe here

Hash-brown Casserole - 1 bag frozen shredded hash-browns, thawed and drained, 1 can cream of chicken, 1 cup sour cream. 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese. Mix well, add 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper. Spray 13 X 9 casserole dish and pour mix in, spreading evenly. Bake 30 minutes @ 400 until bubbly.

Asparagus bundles - take 4 trimmed/cleaned asparagus spears and wrap with a piece of bacon or prosciutto, then secure with toothpicks. When all asparagus is bundled, sprinkle a small amount of balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper over each bundle, bake at 350 for 12-13 minutes OR place on a hot grill, turning every 2-3 minutes until asparagus is done and bacon is crisp.

Creamed corn - 2 TBL real butter, 1 bag frozen corn, 1 TBL sugar, 1 TSP flour, 1 small can of evaporated milk. Add butter and drained, thawed corn in a skillet and heat until hot, allowing the corn to "fry" in the butter but not burn. Add sugar and mix well.
Add flour and stir for at least 2 minutes, then add evaporated milk.

Brussels Sprout Bake - 1 bag frozen or fresh baby brusselsprouts, thawed and drained cut into 1/4ths. Toss with a TBL olive oil, sprinkled with garlic powder to taste and salt and pepper. Place in a metal pan and bake for 20-25 minutes in the oven until browning and crisping of outer edges. An alternative cooking method (my favorite) is on a grill.

Baked Potato Salad - Peel 8 good size potatoes, place in a pot and cover with water, salt and boil until done. Remove potatoes from water and allow to air dry. Dice potatoes into bite-size pieces and place in a bowl. Add 1/4 cup mayo, a 1/2 to 1 cup sour cream, bacon crumbles, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, green onions (anything you would add to a baked potato or potato skins). Mix well and place in fridge. The longer it sets, the better it gets.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
chili is easy to do in quantities, can be prepped at home too.

spinach and artichoke dip is another great one. I make from scratch in the crock pot
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Little Smokies cocktail weenies (as many as you need)
Equal parts Grape OR Apricot jelly and a Sweet BBQ sauce (enough to cover the weenies.

All into the same pot, heat and eat!
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
When doing big batches, we often cheat with a soup everyone loves.
Bear creek soup mix, we use three bags, a pound each of hamburger, sweet, and hot italian sausage, and three cans of Italian style diced tomatoes.
prepare as shown on packaging. Makes over 2 Gallons of soup.
The Bear creek mix is available everywhere, here is the Helmart link.
Minestrone

Enjoy.

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby, we are going to attend a rally in April...the information said the main meals...meats, etc. will be provided, but they are asking for side dishes and desserts from those of us attending. From the list, it looks like it will be a large crowd.
I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
what types of main dishes are we trying to pair with.

corn on the cob is always a go do for us camping

also
rice (onion soup miz and minute rice works well fast)
garlic bread
grilled veggies (asparagus is a favorite)
baked potatoes (easy to do in the fire)

let us know and ill have a bunch more.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds good...and easy! Thanks, johnna

johnna
Explorer
Explorer
A side dish which was often requested at pot luck events in our community:

sauerkraut
thinly sliced onion
finely chopped apple
onion powder
garlic powder
black pepper
sweet wine such as marsala or madeira (substitute apple juice)

combine all ingredients and cook on medium heat until apple is done. add only enough wine to keep ingredients from burning.

:C
2004 Ford 350 Super Duty 2W Dirve Long Bed PU
2008 327RLT Montana Mountaineer 35 ft. 5th wheel
2005 Alaska and other Trip Logs