cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class a toy haulers that can fit a smart car

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone give me some examples, hopefully of budget minded class a RV is that will fit a smart car in the cargo area?
13 REPLIES 13

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a Smart Car 4 down and that has worked well for us. But I do see your points on ease of backing up and being "shorter" and so ease in maneuvering. Plus after towing in rainy weather or on muddy roads you end up with a really dirty car when towing. Plus the car is in a secure place "inside". I've seen some RV's tow an enclosed trailer with the car or motorcycle inside it which reduces a lot of wear and tear on them. A Smart Car is a bit over 1800 lbs. Good luck with your research.
Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
HadEnough wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Any reason why you want to buy an RV with so much space dedicated to a car when you could tow it and have the space for other things? Not trying to be Crass, just curious as to why you want the smart car actually in the RV instead of behind it. Also considerations to the GVWR would need to be looked at.

Iโ€™m with you. The GVWRbis exactly why I'm asking here. I figure people know of some with a good payload capacity in the garage.

I don't want to tow because of the way we travel. We full time. We don't use campgrounds. Just not our thing. So we don't want to be unhooking towing gear every time we need to go on an appointment or into a city center. A travel trailer would almost work, but you can't leave a travel trailer places for the day. Looks bad. Leaving a class a for the day isn't a big deal.

So I need to go on meetings in places you can't easily get an RV into. This means the big rig stays in the suburbs and I drive the smart car into the city.

I want to be able to come and go fairly easily.

Playing Devil's advocate here, I can unhook our CRV in about 30 seconds using our ready elite tow bar setup, 60 seconds if I am taking my time, and be ready to go. In a Toy hauler, making sure you are on level ground, opening the back ramps/wall to the RV, unstrapping the car from the bottom of the "garage" backing down the ramps, closing it all back up, and everything else I don't know about putting a car in the back of an RV, seems considerably more difficult and time consuming than flat towing - hooking an unhooking. The cost for otherwise unusable space of a toy hauler vs flat towing seems like you are losing a lot of floor space you could otherwise use or buy a smaller RV. Maybe I am missing something.

There are reasons that most people flat tow and very, very few people put car in a toy hauler.

As far as a trailer, I would think hooking and unhooking a trailer is more cumbersome than either method with a MH.

Good points.

What happens to the towing gear when you are unhooking the toad? Where does that go? Is it heavy?

If it's 30 seconds and I don't have to put away a bunch of heavy tow bars and stuff, I may be looking at this all wrong. The flat tow toad may be right.

Is it huge headache to constantly be towing a car? I feel like not being able to back up when you are full timing around is big issue. Like you might get stuck in tight spits. Yes, fear of towing something I can't see is an issue.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
HadEnough wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Any reason why you want to buy an RV with so much space dedicated to a car when you could tow it and have the space for other things? Not trying to be Crass, just curious as to why you want the smart car actually in the RV instead of behind it. Also considerations to the GVWR would need to be looked at.

Iโ€™m with you. The GVWRbis exactly why I'm asking here. I figure people know of some with a good payload capacity in the garage.

I don't want to tow because of the way we travel. We full time. We don't use campgrounds. Just not our thing. So we don't want to be unhooking towing gear every time we need to go on an appointment or into a city center. A travel trailer would almost work, but you can't leave a travel trailer places for the day. Looks bad. Leaving a class a for the day isn't a big deal.

So I need to go on meetings in places you can't easily get an RV into. This means the big rig stays in the suburbs and I drive the smart car into the city.

Playing Devil's advocate here, I can unhook our CRV in about 30 seconds using our ready elite tow bar setup, 60 seconds if I am taking my time, and be ready to go. In a Toy hauler, making sure you are on level ground, opening the back ramps/wall to the RV, unstrapping the car from the bottom of the "garage" backing down the ramps, closing it all back up, and everything else I don't know about putting a car in the back of an RV, seems considerably more difficult and time consuming than flat towing - hooking an unhooking. The cost for otherwise unusable space of a toy hauler vs flat towing seems like you are losing a lot of floor space you could otherwise use or buy a smaller RV. Maybe I am missing something.

There are reasons that most people flat tow and very, very few people put car in a toy hauler.

As far as a trailer, I would think hooking and unhooking a trailer is more cumbersome than either method with a MH.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
smart car = not so smart
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Any reason why you want to buy an RV with so much space dedicated to a car when you could tow it and have the space for other things?

A lot of the recent models have a convertible garage area......which converts to the bedroom......or a second bedroom when the vehicle is out.
But none of them are "budget" models.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
In the past Gulfstream made a toy hauler called the Outlaw.

The brand name is Damon, not Gulfstream.
I have one.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough wrote:
budget minded class a RV is that will fit a smart car in the cargo area?

No such thing exists.
Class A toy haulers are EXPENSIVE and used ones are hard to find.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
In the past Gulfstream made a toy hauler called the Outlaw. I believe Thor now makes that coach after Gulfstream stopped.....Dennis

On edit: Here's what I found with a search...

Link

Older one
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
If a golf cart will fit so will a smart car. I never had a toy hauler but have hauled my smart in my enclosed in front of the race car as well as sideways in front of the race car on the Featherlite open trailer......The Smart is a pretty handy little car.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I guess that's what I meant. Private sale. Used.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take your pick. I think Newmar made one many years back. Don't think you will fine a Budget minded one unless used.

https://rvshare.com/blog/8-awesome-car-carrying-motorhomes-must-see/