Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Housebreaking

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't want to highjack another thread - but here's something I discovered:
Augie-the-Aussie peed on the carpet several times in our new-to-us condo, which of course made me angry because I figured at age 3-1/2 months, he was solidly housebroken. By age 5 months, I finally dared let him have the (supervised) run of the carpeted upstairs.

The carpet was old (thank goodness) and last week, we had it replaced. As they tore up the old stuff - I was shocked by how many pee stains were visible on the backside - obviously, the previous owner had a dog who was NOT well-housebroken. I had not noticed any "odor" to the place nor seen any visible stains - but of course Augie's dog-nose knew that the entire upstairs was a bathroom. In hindsight, his restraint was to be admired 😉

So I'm just tossing that out there, in case anyone else runs into a similar situation.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!
10 REPLIES 10

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Too funny about the motel. I just went through that on a trip down to Georgia to visit family.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
To me the Hoover steam vac was a God send. I have gone through 3 of them over the years. Not so much for accidents but dirt or mud that gets tracked in.

With two Collie pups I no longer have a back yard, I have a mud pit when it rains or snow melts. I have to close the dog door and take them to the front yard to take care of business.

Last night they played until 8:30 that evening and then proceeded to sleep a hour and half after I woke up.

I'm holding out on new carpet until next year when the youngest Collie is 18 months old

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
So the brand new carpet just got "christened" (pooped on) - spectacularly 😞 I have a visiting grandson who was adopted knowing he suffers from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome - and at age 6, still wears pullup diapers. He had a colossal blowout during the night, walked around the bedroom changing his clothes, etc.... I'll spare you the horrific details. In hindsight, the whole problem must have begun with Grandma and Grampa letting him have a milkshake the night before...

Let's just say that I used Augie's nose, once the cleanup was complete an hour later, to make sure we had done a proper job. And Augie continues to be a proper gentleman regarding HIS housebreaking....LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

HannahFelly
Explorer
Explorer
It's truly a feat that he didn't mess up the place earlier. Our pup is still too small and hasn't learned to go outside just yet, but we'll eventually get there too, I'm sure.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Now that both young Collies are housebroken I will be going to look at new carpet myself. It wasn't just the young dogs. In the last weeks of Lassie's life she could not go down the stairs to go outside. I was at work and did not know this until later on.

Yeah, Jimmy (diabetic) would "leak" in his deep sleep. At night in bed with us, he wore a male diaper - but during the day...well, you forgive them because you know they can't help it. But then, you need to remember the possible messages being relayed to new dogs who move into your life and home. Fortunately, they learn to overcome the thought that the house has been used as a restroom in the past. We sometimes stay in dog-friendly hotels - Ben is famous for walking in, sniffing at a curtain or a spot on the carpet and looking at me with a "I didn't do that!" look....LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I didn't want to highjack another thread - but here's something I discovered:
Augie-the-Aussie peed on the carpet several times in our new-to-us condo, which of course made me angry because I figured at age 3-1/2 months, he was solidly housebroken. By age 5 months, I finally dared let him have the (supervised) run of the carpeted upstairs.

The carpet was old (thank goodness) and last week, we had it replaced. As they tore up the old stuff - I was shocked by how many pee stains were visible on the backside - obviously, the previous owner had a dog who was NOT well-housebroken. I had not noticed any "odor" to the place nor seen any visible stains - but of course Augie's dog-nose knew that the entire upstairs was a bathroom. In hindsight, his restraint was to be admired 😉

So I'm just tossing that out there, in case anyone else runs into a similar situation.
Now that both young Collies are housebroken I will be going to look at new carpet myself. It wasn't just the young dogs. In the last weeks of Lassie's life she could not go down the stairs to go outside. I was at work and did not know this until later on.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
we house trained our current king Charles in our camper. He never peed in the camper and never made a mess, almost. One morning I got up took him out and he did nothing. Got something to eat, got a coffee and opened the windshield shade. There it was, he took a dump on the dash between the windshield and the shade. Yes two now and so far that's the only mishap.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Both of those posts are hilarious!!

Ages ago, I worked in a plumbing-supply showroom, helping customers pick out their fixtures. Of course I had an entire row of toilets on display - *I* was fortunate enough to never have to deal with a cleanup after a kid suffered from a case of "mistaken identity" but I had heard horror stories....

And that's kind of what Augie must have gone through - when every carpeted room told him it was a urinal - I'm sure he thought I was crazy for insisting that HE go potty outdoors?

Bn
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
A short story....We found a rescue dog. We named him Bob. He was a puppy then. He was our "RV Dog". The English mastif was just too large (150#) to take RVing. Our joke was to see the expressions on faces when my wife would yell "Bob, quit pissing in the RV"....or something to that affect....while we were RVing

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
f
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad