Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Class 3-8 market share
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Class 3-8 market share

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
BarryG20

Castle Rock, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/20 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are some sales figures from a mag HDT heavy duty trucking from last July issue that was reprinted in another magazine I get

This just for class 3,4,5 10001 lbs to 19500 lbs. ytd sales through the end of July 2019. What is below is fairly normal/representative of the numbers that I see quarterly

Brand. Ytd sales. Market share ytd
Chevy. 20271. 8.74%
Ram. 98343. 42.42%
Ford. 84268. 36.35
GMC. 8827. 3.81%

2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford could take a much larger chunk of Class 6 in the near future with their new F600 product. It is basically a F550 with heavier springs and tires allowing it into the Class 6 market space. Yes, the F650 will lose sale, but the F600 should capture all of those and more !

I am still surprised that the new gas V8 is only 7.3L. The F750 does cross into the bottom of the Class 8 market, but that engine is just not "big enough" for that market. The "bottom end" of that engine is over-built (deep skirt block, 6 bolt mains, forged crank). I keep wonder if, at least on paper, there isn't a longer stroke version that would push it over 8L !

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

If you can’t Dodge it RAM it baby!!!

Ram 4evuh!!!!

I would never buy ANY FCA vehicle, living here in the Rust Belt. All Fca vehicles have major electrical issues, especially grounds, after about 5 years in any snow environment, especially if they use salt on the roads.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It really surprises me that Freightliner is so far ahead of Peterbilt/Kenworth. I guess they must be a whole lot cheaper to buy because I think I'd pay more for a used Kenworth than a new Frieghtliner.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My brother and several other truck drivers I know do not like the narrow cabs the KW/Peterbuilt family uses.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Ford could take a much larger chunk of Class 6 in the near future with their new F600 product. It is basically a F550 with heavier springs and tires allowing it into the Class 6 market space. Yes, the F650 will lose sale, but the F600 should capture all of those and more !

I am still surprised that the new gas V8 is only 7.3L. The F750 does cross into the bottom of the Class 8 market, but that engine is just not "big enough" for that market. The "bottom end" of that engine is over-built (deep skirt block, 6 bolt mains, forged crank). I keep wonder if, at least on paper, there isn't a longer stroke version that would push it over 8L !

My thought on the 7.3 in the 700 series trucks, that will pretty much ONLY be in a school bus, local van delivery setup. I really doubt you will see too many try to tote a trailer that puts a SW rig already potentially at 35K lbs,bthen adding a 20k on axle trailer behind it.
Even if there is a longer sttok, bigger note version. Not sure it would could be profitable for buyer or Ford in this market.
My 02 on subject.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 12:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Ram 4evuh!!!!

I would never buy ANY FCA vehicle, living here in the Rust Belt. All Fca vehicles have major electrical issues, especially grounds, after about 5 years in any snow environment, especially if they use salt on the roads.

Ok buddy. Nice story.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

I found some interesting info in a recent meeting with one of our vendors. They make batteries for many brands such as Motorcraft, Interstate and so on, and are the largest automotive battery supplier in the world. We are working with them on a private label battery of our own for class 6-8 trucks.

Any-who, in their presentation they displayed this slide which is surprising to me. If you were to ask me who has the largest market share (by registration) in US class 3-5 trucks, I would have said Ford without hesitation. Seems I would be wrong.

For those who cannot see,
Dodge/Ram - 39.68%
Ford - 36.61%
Chevrolet - 10.45%
GMC - 4.42%
Chevrolet LCF - .68%

[image]

I knew it... I just knew it... It was just a matter of time although there's been hints and clues along the way.

Shiner's a brand hustler! [emoticon]

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/20 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

I found some interesting info in a recent meeting with one of our vendors. They make batteries for many brands such as Motorcraft, Interstate and so on, and are the largest automotive battery supplier in the world. We are working with them on a private label battery of our own for class 6-8 trucks.

Any-who, in their presentation they displayed this slide which is surprising to me. If you were to ask me who has the largest market share (by registration) in US class 3-5 trucks, I would have said Ford without hesitation. Seems I would be wrong.

For those who cannot see,
Dodge/Ram - 39.68%
Ford - 36.61%
Chevrolet - 10.45%
GMC - 4.42%
Chevrolet LCF - .68%

[image]

I knew it... I just knew it... It was just a matter of time although there's been hints and clues along the way.

Shiner's a brand hustler! [emoticon]

I can't believe YOU just said that!

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

hvac

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Ram 4evuh!!!!

No issues ever with our 2012 300c awd. All in Michigan.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Class 3-8 market share
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.