cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where window when sleeping?

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I am putting a window in. 18 wide, 22 tall.
I can put it next to my head, or next to my hip, but not at my feet. Only one window in the bed area.
The bottom of the window will be at top of the mattress height also. It is a crank out window.

Next to head then I can see out and have air flow at my head, but if it is too cold the air might be too much for my uncovered head, but not my covered hip.
At my head the lights might bother me to the point I cover the window, thus blocking airflow, but at hip the light is less directly in my face.

Opinions as to next to head, or next to hip and why:
11 REPLIES 11

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
What kind of wall framing exists in the areas you want to put this window?

That's going to be the primary determining factor when locating it.

The wall is uniform all down the side, so is not a factor. There is framing, but spaces between all the framing to put a window.

This is the other side, but same window. Frameless tinted so hard to see against the black. On the other side, where bed is the window is towards the back (head meant to be near back)

This is the camper I really need. Off-road clearance (until I rip the axle off or shred the tires), toy hauler layout, very narrow to be aero when towed by mid-size truck - 5 ft wide, low (5 ft interior) so more aero, but is now cross between teardrop style and something you can stand in.Yet, all the ammenaties packed in.

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
When camping in the SW desert even in the 40's, I love to breath the cool desert air while in bed with thick comforter, its awesome. But to much to leave the window right by my head open.

The window at my feet/side is perfect with another window open in the middle of the TH to make some circulation, leaving bedroom door open. This makes for a cool nites sleep without a draft on the back of my neck... I've tried it both ways since I have a window by my head and 1 by my side/feet.

For me, do the hip window for sure....

jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
What kind of wall framing exists in the areas you want to put this window?

That's going to be the primary determining factor when locating it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
In 5 campers the only window next to me is the TC and it does not open, is just a long window in the middle, but not as far up sleeping me as my shoulders.
Windows have always annoyingly been behind my head and feet on the ends.
I at least look forward to being able to prop up a pillows behind me without the screen getting pushed on.

Edit, cut the window hole at my head. The window will be as low as the mattress (or the mattress is that high), or just under, so by my head it is less likely that the blankets bunch up and block airflow, or that someone kicks out the screen with their knee.

thanks

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We sometimes like to turn on our Living Area exhaust fan and open a bedroom window to bring in cooler air in the summer (provided it is not smokey). That window is between our twin beds so it does not really blow on either of us. Sometimes we will just open it without the fan.

We also have windows next to our beds which we never use.

Just some thoughts for your window location question.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We like the fresh air at our heads.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Adding a window, especially in a bedroom, I'd advise double pane glass. In an RV you are sleeping much closer to the glass than in a house and double pane's insulation is much more comfortable camping in colder weather.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Near your head would be my advice.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Put it by your head so I can sneak up in the middle of the night and scare the bejeebers out of you with my ugly mug. lol
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Hip area
Fresh air is close enough to your head but lights are not as likely to bother you. Flatulence is near hip area if covers are jerked away during release. If they arenโ€™t and odors escape near the head its still close enough with the window at the hip area. I never really thought about it but my bedroom windows are more to the hip area

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Head. If your head gets cold, close the window but you can still see out. A curtain will defuse the light when necessary.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad