Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: I-70 Colorado in April
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

 > I-70 Colorado in April

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/01/20 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weather reports are fairly accurate these days. Keep an eye on it.
I would not hesitate to go over I70 any month of the year but still there is no reason to head right into a big storm.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/02/20 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input. Coming from NY I'm used to driving in snow but not with a trailer. If I have to I'll wait a day on the weather.

Not that I intend to travel if the weather is really bad, but if you have a 4X4 do you still need chains? New truck so the tires are good.


2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Bionic Man

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 04/03/2009

View Profile



Posted: 02/02/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbopp wrote:

Thanks for the input. Coming from NY I'm used to driving in snow but not with a trailer. If I have to I'll wait a day on the weather.

Not that I intend to travel if the weather is really bad, but if you have a 4X4 do you still need chains? New truck so the tires are good.


4x4 with new tires are fine.

[image]


2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

Senior Member

Joined: 11/25/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/03/20 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbopp wrote:

SO we're planning a trip to Moab, UT the end of April coming from the east. I'm hearing that it's not unusual to get snow at that time of year and I-70 may be closed then. Any comments?


Everyone is likely relating their experiences to you - so While I do not live in Colorado I've got Four Granddaughters there - so we are there often to say the least - Having also spent two Winters in Golden I have traveled often in both the RV and the Car to and From Vail/Breck/Steamboat/Moab - so I can relate to your concern. I'll be flying out tomorrow for a week so I'll check first hand.

Watch the Weather - Period!

It can and will often change more than once a day, Look at CDOT - https://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/default?StreamingCameraId=10269 - click on any camera to see the Currant conditions - as they are all Different.

Big Deal is Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass - then usually good to Glenwood Springs - and try to Remember to Exit on Utah Exit 214 off I-70 to Moab - Following the Colorado River Just Beautiful and a great Welcome to Moab Drive[emoticon]

4runnerguy's Link here - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29448394.cfm - will help with Moab, April is busy so might be smart to check for Reservations.

Link to West Side Truck Ramp post #13

Pictures don't lie - Thousands of Skiers flock to those Hills when it snows - so Check CDOT info and just be prepared to wait a day if needed, Love it in those Rocks in April.

Weekends are not a good time as Traffic can Be Horrendous - Lot's of Skiers! - IMHO Traffic is as big a concern as Weather.

Hope this helps,


Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach



time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/03/20 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would carry chains for the rear drive axle and maybe some flimsy cables for one trailer axle. Test fit at home and keep fingers crossed that you never put them on.

ppine

Northern Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/03/20 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I first moved to Colorado I planned a Memorial Day trip to Grand Lake which is not that high. My heart sank when I got the first view of the Lake and it was still frozen. Be ready for winter all the time.

Bionic Man

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 04/03/2009

View Profile



Posted: 02/03/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Busskipper wrote:

mbopp wrote:

SO we're planning a trip to Moab, UT the end of April coming from the east. I'm hearing that it's not unusual to get snow at that time of year and I-70 may be closed then. Any comments?


Everyone is likely relating their experiences to you - so While I do not live in Colorado I've got Four Granddaughters there - so we are there often to say the least - Having also spent two Winters in Golden I have traveled often in both the RV and the Car to and From Vail/Breck/Steamboat/Moab - so I can relate to your concern. I'll be flying out tomorrow for a week so I'll check first hand.

Watch the Weather - Period!

It can and will often change more than once a day, Look at CDOT - https://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/default?StreamingCameraId=10269 - click on any camera to see the Currant conditions - as they are all Different.

Big Deal is Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass - then usually good to Glenwood Springs - and try to Remember to Exit on Utah Exit 214 off I-70 to Moab - Following the Colorado River Just Beautiful and a great Welcome to Moab Drive[emoticon]

4runnerguy's Link here - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29448394.cfm - will help with Moab, April is busy so might be smart to check for Reservations.

Link to West Side Truck Ramp post #13

Pictures don't lie - Thousands of Skiers flock to those Hills when it snows - so Check CDOT info and just be prepared to wait a day if needed, Love it in those Rocks in April.

Weekends are not a good time as Traffic can Be Horrendous - Lot's of Skiers! - IMHO Traffic is as big a concern as Weather.

Hope this helps,


Traffic on I-70 can be terrible, but end of April is mud season - most of the ski areas are closed but still more than enough snow to keep a lot of people out of the mountains.

That said, if schedule permits, avoid going west Friday afternoon or evening and Saturday until about mid day.

Going East, avoid traveling Sunday.

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/05/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:


Traffic on I-70 can be terrible, but end of April is mud season - most of the ski areas are closed but still more than enough snow to keep a lot of people out of the mountains.

That said, if schedule permits, avoid going west Friday afternoon or evening and Saturday until about mid day.

Going East, avoid traveling Sunday.

Mud season - funny. Our usual 4-season stomping grounds are the NY Adirondacks and there's mud season there too.
We have reservations in Moab. Current plans are to hit Escalante for a few days then Kanab.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

 > I-70 Colorado in April
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.