cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV lot OWNERSHIP - deeded lot ownership, live year round

trx680
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in Virginia and found out about a community in southern Virginia on Lake Gaston call River Ridge. At this place you can buy lots and place your camper on the lot and even build an addition to the camper. People use it as a vacation place and some live there year round.

So I'm wondering if this is common across the country. I'd be interested in learning more about these, not necessarily in Virginia but maybe the Carolinas. Anyone found any websites dedicated to these ownership lots?
25 REPLIES 25

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
We have our own " campground " of sorts. My DW & I own 5 1/2 acres about 8 miles out in the " country ". 45ft slab with rv cover, covered patio, septic, water, electricity, and two barns/shop. We go out there and piddle, just relax. Easy to just hookup & go when we want to travel. I added another FHU if friends want to come out with their rv for a few days. . No hassle of campground/HOA rules. Just don't ask how much time/$ we have in this place :S
You can't really look at the cost that way. Some people spend 12k on a weeks vacation to a all inclusive private resort. At least you have something to show for it and can resell when your done.

I have a seasonal lot that some years due to obligations I have used very little. If you look at cost per year on the least used years it would run $250. a day on the most used years the cost drops to $58. If I use it all summer the cost drops to $23. dollars a day.

Now don't ask what the pontoon boat cost per use.

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that some 'parks' have a huge monthly fee. I have seen places with $700 month 'rent' !! Is that what some of these suggested places are charging once you buy?
Slightly thought of just putting our own slab etc on a piece of property, but no-have not gone that far into that thought.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
We have our own " campground " of sorts. My DW & I own 5 1/2 acres about 8 miles out in the " country ". 45ft slab with rv cover, covered patio, septic, water, electricity, and two barns/shop. We go out there and piddle, just relax. Easy to just hookup & go when we want to travel. I added another FHU if friends want to come out with their rv for a few days. . No hassle of campground/HOA rules. Just don't ask how much time/$ we have in this place :S

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
I own my lot in our campground Woodhaven Lakes in northern Illinois. You can't live here it is a campground. You are allowed 180 days per year how ever you want to use them. you can leave your camper year round on your lot. We have a lot of retired people who stay in the warmer months and then go south for the colder ones. My yearly costs are less then some people pay for storage of their RV/camper. We have over 6000 lots so it is open to all ages.

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Doesn't Escapees have something like this where they sell you a lot you can use as your "base station"?

Some of the parks have lot ownership and some have multi-year lease (ERPU) arrangements, but each park is run individually and most have a waiting list.

Escapees' Rainbow parks and co-ops
2017 LTV Unity

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't Escapees have something like this where they sell you a lot you can use as your "base station"?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
There is a couple in Hilton Head NC:

Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort

Hilton Head Harbor

We've stayed at the second a few times - really nice - and expensive. The sites are privately owned an d the resort rents them out when the owner isn't there. You get there, park your rig, then go around on a golf cart and choose the site you want - you mark it with a cone they give you.

We looked into ownership out of curiosity and once you get over the price of the sites, you get hit with the association fees and other dues. I'll be a renter - not an owner.

Did you consider renting it out while you are not using it? I know many lot owners more than cover their expenses that way. I thought of buying one someday in Florida and just saving Jan-March for ourselves then renting the rest.

Dan
Sure - we considered that, but the amount of revenue you make on renting - after the park takes their share wouldn't cover the costs of ownership when all the fees are added in. Of course, this varies by location.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
We have them ourselves in Michigan (4) and also in Florida (2) recently. Nothing new as they have been around for many decades already. A few things to remember that involve costs etc that may be high or low at various locations. We own and have owned several such RV properties where you can spend/occupy zero to 365 days a year on or even rent them out to others. If we rent them out, we get the full rent paid but if the association rents them out for us, we may get 50% to 67% of the rent amount paid. A big difference. You usually are not there when it's rented out. May be very wonderful renters or may even be druggies etc.

Cost to purchase (of course).

Yearly dues or some have monthly dues or fees (not to be confused with property taxes).

All owned and deeded propeerties have property taxes that must be paid.

All require keeping the property in good upkeep conddition wheter you are on it or not. If not occupying your property, you still must keep it up which usually means paying ssomeone else to do it for you.

All have rules or convenents or HOA's etc.

You are responsible for all utilities, costs and bills accrued, maintenance/upkeep there of, liability etc insurance/insurances(can get real sticky if rented out), you bear the cost of repairs etc caused by you or your renters, whether you are on the property or someone else is renting it. You OWN it!

Remember that the property is a fixed location and you can't move it but you can sell it if must you don't like your neighbors or the costs or rules become more than you are willing to deal with or shuck out for them. Costs will only increase with time and virtually never decrease and guess who will be paying them! What can you actually sell it for in a present at the time market condition? Over the years since the 1980's we have sold 4 such RV condo properties and done very well but it's certainly not guaranteed.

Can be a very good venture or a very bad venture and of course, many ventures do fail, some quickly and some over a long time. Some also increase in value and resale $$$ so it's wise to research thoroughly and know what you are getting yourself into. Laws, codes, and rules vary greatly from state to state and counties/areas also.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
Just make sure you get to read and understand all the rules, fees about the place. In reality, you would be buying property in a community managed by an HOA.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just understand fully what you would be getting into.

Double ditto. Some places have property taxes too.

All real estate has property taxes. If there is no property tax, you don't actually own the lot.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
ct1964ups wrote:
Guy Roan wrote:
We own our on lot in Key Largo and our park is a "condominium Park"
We winter here and summer in our home in the NC mountains.
Our park is so nice it is next to impossible to get a place for sale here.
We lucked out five years ago and even though we have no intentions of selling, our lots value has tripled in value.
One thing to check on is the taxes. Where we are we just pay county property taxes on the land if the trailer stays on wheels and can be moved

Like others have said, check all the rules, regulations and monthly maintenance fee and if your place is a desirable place, go for it

Can we ask the Name of your park and where it is in Key Largo...if you don't mind giving out this info..Chuck

Guy

It is "Key Largo Kampground and Marina" About a mile passed John Pennekamp state park, behind the Publix shopping center.
Check it out on line and take a look at the video.
We have two beaches, access to the Atlantic and our water playground is the Largo south sound mangrove gardens as well as the Pennekamp canoe trails.

Guy

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

Hilton Head Harbor

We've stayed at the second a few times - really nice - and expensive. The sites are privately owned an d the resort rents them out when the owner isn't there. You get there, park your rig, then go around on a golf cart and choose the site you want - you mark it with a cone they give you.

We looked into ownership out of curiosity and once you get over the price of the sites, you get hit with the association fees and other dues. I'll be a renter - not an owner.

Did you consider renting it out while you are not using it? I know many lot owners more than cover their expenses that way. I thought of buying one someday in Florida and just saving Jan-March for ourselves then renting the rest.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer

Hilton Head Harbor

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Mbiviano
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Greenwood Motorcoach Resort is in SC and is what you describe. Right on the lake, but only allows Class As.
Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are thinking of doing something like that so that we have a place at least 6 months out of the year that is less expensive than paying rv parks fees. Always knowing there is a spot for you is also priceless. Haven't found our spot yet, but yes, this is common in the warmer states, saw many in Arizona. Check out Escapees - that is exactly what some of their parks are.