cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mission Texas Weather

ErichK
Explorer
Explorer
We've wintered a couple years in Fort Myers. We are thinking of trying another part of the country next year. We are looking at Mission Texas.
We keep hearing that the wind is a big deterrent. Is it really that bad? I'm ok with the temps a bit cooler but combined with a strong wind might not work for the warmth I'm looking for.
10 REPLIES 10

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
When we were there in 2004 It was almost impossible to go for a bike ride. The awning was never used.
The car dealer down the road had a flag half the size of a basketball court and it was out flapping as stiff as a sheet of plywood.
Once was enough.

When I was in South Miami in 1972 it was a bone chilling forty degrees. I went back many times. Most were better than that. Every few years every place can have a cold spell some are cheaper than others. We have had two, maybe three windy days this Winter in the RGV but we have also run our air conditioners at some time during the week. Every week.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
When we were there in 2004 It was almost impossible to go for a bike ride. The awning was never used.
The car dealer down the road had a flag half the size of a basketball court and it was out flapping as stiff as a sheet of plywood.
Once was enough.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
At this time, 11:20 am CST, it is 68 degrees in Orlando, FL and 68 degrees in McAllen, Tx. One costs $10/day, the other $30. The wind is about the same. Been to both many times. Now in Texas.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, RGV is generally much windier than Florida. We've stayed in both areas many times. Other than the flat terrain, wind is the worst aspect of RGV.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
If you dig a little deeper the difference in the Hi and Low temperatures in S Fla is 10-12 degrees most days during the winter. In S TX the average is 15-20 degrees plus the 5 degrees ^^^^ adds up.

The temperature in Miami dropped to a nippy 40 degrees Wednesday morning, according to the National Weather Service, and the wind chill was in the mid-30s.
Apparently Iguanas were falling from the trees and residents were warned to watch out for falling Iguanas. Saw this on the news tonight in the Rio Grande Valley, I am serious this was really on the news.
pawatt

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you dig a little deeper the difference in the Hi and Low temperatures in S Fla is 10-12 degrees most days during the winter. In S TX the average is 15-20 degrees plus the 5 degrees ^^^^ adds up.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
chris3403 wrote:
By the way I just looked at the 15 day weather forecast for both us and Fort Meyers and we have 10 days at 75 or higher vs your 5 days. You have 2 days where the lows are in the 40's and we don't have any predicted.
I'm currently paying $540 a month whereas you are probably north of $1,000.
Come on over.

Chris

Weather is not climate. Right now there is a cold spell in Florida. It will pass. If you Google climate for both Mission, TX and Fort Myers, FL you will see the average highs and lows during the Winter are about 5 degrees higher in Fort Myers. Not a lot, but it's not colder like you are suggesting. It's warmer on average, Winter after Winter.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
Check Snowbirds forum...

click

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
By the way I just looked at the 15 day weather forecast for both us and Fort Meyers and we have 10 days at 75 or higher vs your 5 days. You have 2 days where the lows are in the 40's and we don't have any predicted.
I'm currently paying $540 a month whereas you are probably north of $1,000.
Come on over.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
Currently in the Mission area (Weslaco) yes the winds can be strong at times, but they aren't constant. I got here around December 10 and I only know of one time that the winds blew hard enough to worry me.
This is our 3rd year in the Valley and we'll be back again next year.
By the way I live in the Louisville Ky area and while we were down here last year the winds were so strong back home that they blew my Grill over.
So my point is the wind can blow anywhere.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.