cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interstate 80 thru Wyoming and Nebraska

majordad
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to Nebraska, and Illinois this summer and I was wondering do I need to be overly concerned about winds thru Wyoming and eastern Nebraska. I know there are issues during the winter understandably. Has anyone else got information.
Thanks in advance.

Merrill
11 REPLIES 11

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
Dave Pete wrote:
You won't have any trouble across I-80 in summer, unless it's windy that day. 😉

Seriously, our wind is worst in winter. Prevailing is out of the southwest, so like said, a nice tailwind eastbound. Winter jet stream usually near us, then migrates northward in summer.

Summer can bring really cool looking distant Thunderstorms. When they are by you you can get bad winds (any direction). But those are not long lasting, and generally afternoon, not morning. Winter winds due to jet stream proximity can last weeks straight.

Wyoming, especially southern, is best seen with a low sun angle (mornings and late afternoon, evening). Shadows give nice visual depth.

Drive safe and have a nice trip.

Agreed!

WYDOT is good about posting road conditions.

Where are you located in WY?
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

majordad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you for the information

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I found that for the most part, we faced head winds going west on I-80 in western Nebraska and eastern Wyoming. The truck kept downshifting like I was going up a hill.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have driven 80 in both directions with Class C and truck?TT combinations. The wind gets strongest in the afternoon and can push you around a bit. If you are familiar with your rig, just slow down and drive through it.
We once had a Class C built on a Toyota one ton C/C with a whopping 120 hp. All I could do was put it in second gear and let the engine sing. 45 mph at 4000 rpms. You actually get use to your fillings vibrating due to engine noise. (only kidding.)
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
You won't have any trouble across I-80 in summer, unless it's windy that day. 😉

Seriously, our wind is worst in winter. Prevailing is out of the southwest, so like said, a nice tailwind eastbound. Winter jet stream usually near us, then migrates northward in summer.

Summer can bring really cool looking distant Thunderstorms. When they are by you you can get bad winds (any direction). But those are not long lasting, and generally afternoon, not morning. Winter winds due to jet stream proximity can last weeks straight.

Wyoming, especially southern, is best seen with a low sun angle (mornings and late afternoon, evening). Shadows give nice visual depth.

Drive safe and have a nice trip.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
When you cross into Illinois, stay on 80, do not take 74/280. They are replacing the bridge over the Mississippi River on 74/280
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the spring time Western Nebraska can have very strong crosswinds.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
majordad wrote:
We are planning a trip to Nebraska, and Illinois this summer and I was wondering do I need to be overly concerned about winds thru Wyoming and eastern Nebraska. I know there are issues during the winter understandably. Has anyone else got information.
Thanks in advance.

Merrill

WYOROAD.INFO is a must have website. Gives up to date road conditions and you can search specifically by route. Side bar menu allows you to select "Conditions by Route" and then select by highway number. If there is any sort of adverse weather, don't ignore it. When they are blowing the winds in Wyoming can be harsh. IF there are adverse wind conditions, find a good place to ride them out.

The good news is that, on a normal day, the winds during the summer months will typically be out of the west/southwest, for a tail wind. The bad news is, coming back, they will be a head wind. The highest point on the I-80 system is just east of Laramie at ~9600 feet. It's all down hill to Nebraska from there and it's a rather gradual decrease in elevation all the way to the North Platte area, where you pick up the Platte River valley.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Eastern NB should be no problem.
bumpy

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
As Bionic said, it can be challenging, but doable. We've done it a few times. With a truck and trailer, I found it a weird sensation to steer the direction the wind was blowing, complete opposite as you'd expect. Why? THe trailer is a brick, and is being pushed. Conversely, the truck was being "steered" into the wind. Hence, steering with (not into) the wind. Hard to explain, I have no graphics. Bottome line: It came naturally to do without much thought. You just keep in your lane.

I have not driven my Class C thru WY, but if I did the opposite would be true. I'm driving the brick, and I steer into the wind.

On one trip accross SD, we stopped off for an hour due to high winds. I parked so the back of our TT was getting the wind.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
There are often high wind watches and warnings going across 80. Wyoming can be terrible.

Best bet is to try to get going early. Winds are usually less in the morning.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010