cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MaxAir added

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased and installed this MaxAir. I like the way it matches my Dometic air conditioner. I had posted here a month ago about my bathroom vent cover wearing out. Hopefully the MaxAir will delay that for the next time.
There is something special about camping in an RV.
16 REPLIES 16

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
We have them on all four vents on our 5er, we live in the PNW and it rains a lot.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
ramyankee wrote:
Question: it doesn't look like there is a gasket?

It is not sealed. It is literally a dome that lightly covers the lid. I suspect driving in rain with the internal lid open would be a bad idea as water would blow under the MaxAir and come in side the RIG.

It never has for me. I have had the covers and fans for over 30 years and the vents are left open 24/7/365 unless it is windy and blowing dust. Never had a drop of water come in them. They are left open when driving also.

They are installed via brackets that are screwed to the sides of the metal frame around the normal vent opening. They never really touch the roof but come very close to it as they sit on top of the brackets which have a bolt through them from the bottom up. Extremely easy and quick to install. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
ramyankee wrote:
Question: it doesn't look like there is a gasket?

It is not sealed. It is literally a dome that lightly covers the lid. I suspect driving in rain with the internal lid open would be a bad idea as water would blow under the MaxAir and come in side the RIG.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Put 2 MaxxAir II vent covers on my MH 4 years ago. Very happy with them. Can have vents open while driving, have left vents open in rain without getting any water intrusion. Have not seen any deterioration of the covers from sun exposure. Great product and was simple to install.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty easy DIY install,as you said youtube is your friend,no gasket is needed. Have fun.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to install 2 Maxxair vent covers. From watching the youtube video it looks really simple. Probably beats paying our dealer $99 each to install.

Question: it doesn't look like there is a gasket? Nothing showed on the video.
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:
The air sticking to the flat rear of the vent is what creates drag/wind resistance. A model A ford is much more aerodynamic in reverse than going forward.
Although I like the aerodynamic "look" of the Aero-Flo vent covers more than some others, I'm not worried about wind resistance; let's be honest, nothing I could do on the roof on my class A would change the aerodynamics in any meaningful way (mpg, etc). I installed them to allow me to leave the vents open in inclement weather, nothing more.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
The air sticking to the flat rear of the vent is what creates drag/wind resistance. A model A ford is much more aerodynamic in reverse than going forward.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I went one step further and removed the exiting vents and upgraded to the Maxxfan Deluxe low profile vent fan
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
Still allow the vent to open probably 3/4 of the way.

Mine too - about 3/4 way.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
4x4van wrote:
I just installed 3 of these AeroFlo vent covers, made by Camco. I really like them. They're a bit more aerodynamic than the single Maxxair cover that I had over the bath vent; these are vented at the rear and the sides, and the entire top half lifts (2 screws) for

Thanks for sharing that. It looks low profile. Does it allow the vent to raise much?
It's actually only about an inch shorter than the standard version, though it's longer, so a bit more aerodynamic. Still allow the vent to open probably 3/4 of the way.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Vent covers are the first mod I do on a new rig. Should be standard equipment

Agreed - every little mod or repair makes me feel better about my rig. I thought it would be hard to line up the vent but it went smoothly.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Vent covers are the first mod I do on a new rig. Should be standard equipment
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
I just installed 3 of these AeroFlo vent covers, made by Camco. I really like them. They're a bit more aerodynamic than the single Maxxair cover that I had over the bath vent; these are vented at the rear and the sides, and the entire top half lifts (2 screws) for

Thanks for sharing that. It looks low profile. Does it allow the vent to raise much?