cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking ideas pop up roof section

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small cargo trailer I use often and want to do some overnights in it.
It is only 5 feet interior height, great for towing, not so much for standing.

I want to have one section where I can stand upright, so am thinking to cut out a 2x4 foot section of roof and having something that can easily raise, fold out, yet be flat with roof for towing, no more than 4 inches high when down.

My current idea is use plywood and make an A-frame roof that unfolds so has some headroom. (i have epoxy resin to waterproof the wood)

I can't yet figure how to keep it watertight. Folded down is not such a challenge, but having 4 panels fold out and all be weatherproof is the challenge. Two side will be rectangle panels and the other two will be triangles. The triangle will fold up last and remain under the eeves. At the bottom to keep it all water tight Im still pondering.

I also want to operate ir all from inside, and also need a way to secure it while driving.

I have seen hurricane hinges, but they are not shaped right. I have seen plastic hinges (like piano hinges) that just bend, so there is no leaks,but I ant find sources for these, or can only find expensive ones. Maybe tack down vinyl over a piano hinge.

Anyone ever do something like this, or have a better design to add height? I do not want to do a complicated engineering feat as this will be a minor project given available time.
12 REPLIES 12

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly why I did not give details. I not interested to discuss the intricacies of details that have nothing to do with anything. Maybe if Im sitting on a rocking chair on a rainy day with nothing to do or talk about we can discuss the possible square footage of something I am planning to build or the effect of mpg it might have on an engine I have not mentioned
but Im really just looking to have a conversation with anyone who has done something similar with success or maybe first-hand knowledge somehow. That's what is neat about forums is finding a person out of millions that has experience in something similar, not the thought police monitoring anythingโ€ฆ
Opinions on how piss politically correct or incorrect my post may come across to someone possibly in a different culture altogether is better suited for a psychological forum that analyzes and discusses each other's post incessantly, rather than a practical forum of people who build and modify things they use everyday.
I would like to keep forum post specific to the topic.

Well, too late, this is yet another post ruined by stupid comments

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are obviously immune to any suggestions outside your determined plan. But how the heck to you come up with 12 sq/ft? 1 ft high by 1.5 or 2 ft wide comes out the 1.5 to 2 sq/ft. And has been pointed out you can taper the front of this extension, in a wedge shape, to minimize drag.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Why opens up for comments like being informed that bridges are 10 feet high on most American roads and opinions on mpg and frontal area, right or wrongโ€ฆ. Why does not address the issue, only interest, so for interest sake, the reason why is because obviously an extra12 sq feet of flat frontal area is a huge aerodynamic parachute on a trailer that currently sits only 10 inches above the roof of the truck cap. I dont want to lose 3 mpg because I double or triple the amount of trailer out in the wind, I can just get a full height trailer if my goal is to drag around a bill board.
If I go off road then a short trailer clears quite a few obstacles that I otherwise would have to abandon the adventure or settle for a roadside campsite instead of the one by the river etcโ€ฆ
Currently the trailer will fit under many parking decks or city parking structures, or bank atm's or drive thru's or the multitude of traffic obstacles out there that annoy RVers.

What I have planned so far is similar to an A-liner, but I dont have any way to extrude custom shaped aluminum molding, so making it water tight both folded and up is the challenge. I have not found any product on the shelves that will help much.

I will probably have to use a draw-latch on the outside on each side to hold it down, but want the rest of the operation to happen all from inside, you have to think about it pouring rain heavily and wanting to get inside asap but still operate the roof.
I want to be able to drive around locally with it up so do not want a tent up there, dont want a tent blowing around in 40 mph winds either and keeping me awake all night either. Why I want to drive with it up who can know, but that box got checked.

I want it to be simple as possible.

I'm thinking maybe use vinyl over piano hinges for waterproofing.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think any of those in that link would work because he stated earlier that he had "no desire to spend any time in a tent of any sorts".
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Asking why? I don't know, I can say that over the years someone asking "why' got me to see something that I overlooked. I can get fixated on some idea and ignore the obvious other solution.
Superbumper

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
ajriding wrote:
Asking 'why' on the forum is a forum faux pau.

When did this rule get applied? And WHY?

What are you pulling with and where are you trying to pull it? An extra ft of height would have little impact on clearance in most places and could be made aerodynamic to the point it would have no noticeable effect during towing.

If you are dead set, it's fairly simple to put a ridge 2-3" high around the opening and then a frame that fits over it like a box top. Then attach canvas to the inside of the lid and to the outside of the ridge.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Look at A-Liner pop ups for ideas.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

shepfly
Explorer
Explorer
Build a box on your roof the size you want, 4 or 6 inches high, next build a roof box large enough to set our your framed opening. Now you can use waterproof canvas or clear heavy vinyl attached to both frames to weatherproof you opening. The roof could be held up with hinged swing up corner posts, or make simple scissor hinges that go over center to lock. Hope you get the idea, all the details are up to your imagination. Dave PS you'll need to lock it down for travel!

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to drive under something less than 7 feet tall it won't be on a roadway. Even low overpasses and such are over 10 feet. And with a trailer that small worrying about air resistance is probably not sensible. It won't be enough to think about unless you are towing with a Yugo.
Superbumper

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Asking 'why' on the forum is a forum faux pau.
The size i need is about 4 wide by 2 front to back, feet that is, and to gain a foot in height at least. The trailer is 5 feet inside, so a 6 foot man cannot stand upright.
Doing something permanently up makes the trailer taller, less aero, and taller mean might not fit under that thing/branch/drive thru etc. My sphincter is getting tight just thinking to add 4 inches on the roofโ€ฆ
This apparatus will sit on the roof, nothing like a popup tent and I have no desire to spend any time in a tent of any sortsโ€ฆlol

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why does it need to fold down, why not just add a section that increases the height to whatever you need? Then weather-proofing will be easier. Otherwise go look at some popup trailers in a dealer's yard.
Superbumper