cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lane Closures I-10 Westbound at Atchafalaya Basin Bridge

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
ran across this quite by accident a few minutes ago. Anyone familiar with the detour...ok for 40’ class A towing Jeep SUV????
————————————
Important Details: There will be a single lane closure on I-10 westbound during the weekends from 9 p.m. on Fridays to 6 a.m. on Mondays. Motorists are encouraged to use a detour route using La. 415 to U.S. 190 to I-49 back to I-10. Call 511 or visit www.511la.org for additional information.

————————————-
Full Story:

ST. MARTIN PARISH — The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (LaDOTD) announced a rehabilitation project to replace the existing bridge deck surface on the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge in St. Martin Parish from the Whiskey Bay exit to mile marker 125.

The contractor, Gibson & Associates, will mill the existing deck surface and replace it with a modified latex concrete pavement.

A portion of the bridge deck was damaged following a multi-vehicle crash involving a vehicle fire in August 2019 that caused spalling to occur, resulting in some of the surface concrete to crack and flake off.

The bridge was deemed structurally sound after a thorough bridge inspection.

Construction is set to begin Jan. 17 and is anticipated to be completed Jan. 27, weather permitting.

There will be a single lane closure on I-10 westbound during the weekends from 9 p.m. on Fridays to 6 a.m. on Mondays.

Motorists are encouraged to use a detour route using La. 415 to U.S. 190 to I-49 back to I-10.
Call 511 or visit www.511la.org for additional information. Out-of-state travelers may call I-888-ROAD-511 (1-888-762-3511).

Motorists may also monitor the LA DOTD website atwww.dotd.la.gov, by selecting MyDOTD, or by visiting the DOTD Facebook and Twitter pages.

source:https://www.kaplantoday.com/news/exp...s-basin-bridge
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle
11 REPLIES 11

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We used 190 to avoid I-10 thru LA going east with class A towing, thought it was a decent road, but many of the complaints on here we don't find to be accurate for us. We don't mind 2 lane or 55mph.

we don't either but I don't want my teeth knocked loose either. we'll be taking 190 and i'll report on it's condition late Sunday or on Monday.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“you may not be familiar with I-10 between Lake Charles and Beaumont, TX”

First time was 1972, rk. Headed to Ft. Benning.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used 190 to avoid I-10 thru LA going east with class A towing, thought it was a decent road, but many of the complaints on here we don't find to be accurate for us. We don't mind 2 lane or 55mph.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
That would be 415 rather than 412. I feel it is not as bad as around Lake Charles. I am not aware of road conditions of 190 west of l49. Possibly someone else's can help. You are right I once thought that the highway from Gadsen to Fort Payne was the worst in country.

sorry, yes, 415.

we're from illinois and i thought our roads were horrible. when we came south from chicago I-57 and I-55 were, surprisingly, very good. a few stretches here and there but overall very good. I-10 in LA is another story.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Have you a choice to use or not use the detour during the repair? Not everything needs to be known in advance...let the spirit of adventure abide in you!

you may not be familiar with I-10 between Lake Charles and Beaumont, TX. one of the worst stretches of road...ever. been there, done that.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
That would be 415 rather than 412. I feel it is not as bad as around Lake Charles. I am not aware of road conditions of 190 west of l49. Possibly someone else's can help. You are right I once thought that the highway from Gadsen to Fort Payne was the worst in country.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Have you a choice to use or not use the detour during the repair? Not everything needs to be known in advance...let the spirit of adventure abide in you!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Good route for any size rig. The road surface is somewhat rough for a few miles right before Port Barre and the last mile on 190 before l49. Otherwise normal US highways..

we were on EB 190 between I-49 & LA412 2 -yrs ago and thought it was very bad. i guess condition is subjective. we're planning on staying on WB 190 to LA 12 and then TX 12 returning to I-10 at Vidor TX. is 190 west of I-49 in about the same condition as east of 49? trying to avoid the construction and terrible road bed around Lake Charles.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
PartyOf Five wrote:
Looks like it's overnight in the weekends, I don't think you'll be impacted, especially if you prefer daylight travel.

the way i read it the lane closure runs continuous from 9pm on Friday until 6am on Monday.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it's overnight in the weekends, I don't think you'll be impacted, especially if you prefer daylight travel.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Good route for any size rig. The road surface is somewhat rough for a few miles right before Port Barre and the last mile on 190 before l49. Otherwise normal US highways..