cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is a good camp stove to buy now days?

tewitt1949
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've always used these green Coleman stove for the last 35 years. Now ours has seen its last days, its time buy something new.

What is a good make and model stove to get? Is there something better than Coleman? I'd prefer to stay with something small rather than a stove on legs.

Any recommendations and links would be appreciated.
Terry Witt
24 REPLIES 24

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Recently bought a Blackstone griddle for camp cooking. Not much you can't do with it.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Two. We carry a no-name all-stainless propane grill we got at Sam's maybe 20 years ago, use that most of the time. Also carry a 2-burner Coleman HyperFlame we use when whatever's cooking on the grill takes up most of the space. Both will run on the little quart bottles or can be hosed to a larger bottle or the coach tank low side. Both have legs that can be extended (or not). Hardly ever do any cooking inside, and what little we do is 90% warming leftovers in the microwave.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like the size of the old Coleman stoves fits nicely in my outside basement storage. I have 3 of them the oldest I bought in 1971. Easy to work on and easy to get parts. After years of cleaning them and replacing parts I found that running some acetone in with the unleaded gas does a good job of cleaning the system. When ever the flame looks too yellow or pulses I add some acetone to the tank and it is good for several seasons. I don't want one with legs either.

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
We have used a Coleman Grill Stove for many years. We are on a second one, I got tired of cleaning the first one that worked for 9 years.

We have both a propane grill and a normal stove burner. The propane is nice for a quick grill.

We also have a Blackstone griddle that is a good unit. We carry it sometimes.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
campstove, as it has awesome attachments like the griddle, grill, etc

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
A small fabricating company in Idaho builds the best, toughest stoves as a sideline. Not at all cheap, but you won't find better.

https://partnersteel.com/cook-partner

Yup, all aluminum & stainless steel. Had our 26" 3 burner for 10 years or more.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Weber Q 2000 and it works great. Easy to clean, replacement parts readily available if/when needed. Love it.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
16 year old Weber Q for me. Lots of ways to cook and lots of stoves or grills to choose from depending on your style and or needs. They all work
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used a lot of stoves over the years. I used Coleman for years, then had a lantern that was not good when new. I sent it to the factory and it is still junk.

I like Brunton stoves. Stainless steel and very dependable.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you liked the Coleman, perhaps it could be repaired. Coleman will get it operating for a fair price, and you could maybe do the cosmetic work.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
for a propane grill, magma
for a propane griddle/grill blackstone grill
for the traditional camp stove an old coleman white gas stove. pick one up at a garage sale or on ebay, clean it up.
For a lantern, again an older coleman dual mantle white gas lantern

If you want a brighter light, go with the older mantles that had thorium in them. Still a bunch available from coleman or from other mfg. Yes, thorium is radioactive and releases alpha and beta particles.

For a lantern, you can't beat a battery powered LED model. No stinky fuel, no special funnel, no delicate mantels to replace...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
For a small portable, the lightweight butane can't be beat. It is offered by several makers. Measures about 10" X10" X 3" thick. Has it's own spark ignighter and cost $20 - $25. The brands are virtually all the same, I think Coleman even has their name on one. I love mine!
Brian

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We like the Coleman Roadtrip two burner propane

google image

google image

google image

This has several different grilles to use and runs off of the 1lb propane canisters...

Like to setup with at a right angle under the patio canopy. Then have a couple of folding tables up against the POPUP Trailer..

Roy's image

Have had this setup for many years with no issues...

The webster models probably have the best heat seal when cooking but this coleman model has lots of cooking accessories for grilling meals. Love having the two grille tops... bacon on one side eggs on the other haha... Easy to setup and comes with it own roll around carry case...

Cleanup is a snap. Has a water area under the grill top to catch all of the drippings... hose off real easy...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Marine0311
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Blackstone griddle. We really like it. Can cook anything on it from chicken and burgers to pancakes, eggs and stir fry. Thereโ€™s a 17โ€ model with one burner. I have the 28โ€ model because of two burners. 28โ€ model has legs but it can also sit on a table without them. Easy clean up. Check it out. Lots of the chain stores carry them. Can get bigger ones also