cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suburban furnace issue

softballjunky
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I tried searching for my particular issue but couldn't see a post exactly like mine. 12 year old suburban furnace in travel trailer that will turn on and blow hot for about 5 minutes and then shut off before getting to set temp. I cannot get it to turn back on for a while, then after about 30 minutes it will run for a few minutes then shut off again. Where should I start? Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.
2008 Rockwood 8298SS
2007 Ford Expedition
Equal-i-zer
Prodigy
14 REPLIES 14

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Here's a good solution to keep wasps and fly insects out of the furnace intake and exhaust
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
When you say it shuts down after 5 minutes does the burner and fan shut down? Or does the burner shut down but the fan continues to run until you turn the thermostat off?

Are you plugged into shore power when this happens, or are you running off the battery alone?

Is there black soot on the outside of the trailer around or above the furnace exhaust port?

Can you find and tell us the model number of the furnace?

Do you have a digital multimeter to be able to take some readings?

Does your thermostat control only the furnace? Or does the thermostat control the furnace and the AC?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
softballjunky wrote:
For what it is worth, After it cycles off and I turn the unit on and off at the thermostat there is a clicking sound coming from the furnace. Not the kind of sound that happens over and over as it tries to ignite but just a single sound as I turn the switch on. Does that give you any further information? Thanks

I am not an expert. Just another RV owner like you. If the furnace was overheating then it has a overheat switch built in. After if shuts off on that the switch has to cool down before the furnace will restart. The clicking sound is the relay trying to turn the furnace on just like was stated above. But, it can't run because the overheat switch has not cooled down enough yet to automatically reset.

Again, I don't know for sure but, I still am guessing it's full of dirt from the wasps. That is why it is overheating. It can't "breath" good enough and exhaust the burnt gasses so it overheats and shuts off.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like a relay that would supply the 12 volts to the fan and control board. The thermostat only powers the relay armature which in turn closes the contacts that connect the power to the furnace.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

softballjunky
Explorer
Explorer
For what it is worth, After it cycles off and I turn the unit on and off at the thermostat there is a clicking sound coming from the furnace. Not the kind of sound that happens over and over as it tries to ignite but just a single sound as I turn the switch on. Does that give you any further information? Thanks
2008 Rockwood 8298SS
2007 Ford Expedition
Equal-i-zer
Prodigy

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
softballjunky wrote:
Yes, it is the original that came with the trailer. I am sure there is no heat anticipator on it.

If it's an Attwood it probably has an anticipator. If you remove the cover you should be able to see a flat lever on the backplate. The ones I have owned the lever was moved all the way left which caused wide temperature swings. I moved the lever to about mid-point or 12 o'clock, and it evened out temperature swings. But I later replaced the old thermostat with an inexpensive Honeywell non-programmable digital thermostat. This made temperature management much easier.
Rich and Joyce

Amateur Radio K3EXU

softballjunky
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is the original that came with the trailer. I am sure there is no heat anticipator on it.
2008 Rockwood 8298SS
2007 Ford Expedition
Equal-i-zer
Prodigy

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
poppa wrote:
im kinda new to tt's but am a resi ac guy. it mite be the heat anticipator on the thermostat. the other responses should be checked as well

Most TT thermostats are a simple mechanical unit. In fact many people replace them because they don't like them.

If he has replaced his thermostat you could be right.

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
im kinda new to tt's but am a resi ac guy. it mite be the heat anticipator on the thermostat. the other responses should be checked as well

softballjunky
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information.
2008 Rockwood 8298SS
2007 Ford Expedition
Equal-i-zer
Prodigy

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wasps love building nests in the intake and exhaust ducts of these furnaces. I once removed a furnace and dumped a whole coffee can full of wasps nests out of it. Try looking down your intake and despicably the exhaust duct for nests and clean them out if you see any. It might be enough. If not you may have to remove the furnace to clean it.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Probably heat related. BryantRV has service manuals online for download. Just scroll down to the furnace section
Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
I'd suspect the high temp limit switch is failing and opening at too low a temperature.

2X that, or you may have an obstruction in a heat duct or a closed register.
Rich and Joyce

Amateur Radio K3EXU

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suspect the high temp limit switch is failing and opening at too low a temperature.