cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newfoundland Eateries with good food

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Returning in 2020 and would like your best recommendations for good places to eat fresh food....(not interested in fast or fried foods)...if the world was perfect a menu with allergans listed...but freshly prepared real food.

What are the best places you dined in while in NL? The Daily Catch on the northern peninsula was mine (saint lunar-griqet)....other than that pretty disappointing. Needs to be casual attire/think jeans because I am that kind of girl with a husband to match.

Donna
12 REPLIES 12

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
HAHA...I have medical marijuiana permit but it didn't work for my use and hubby for his knee pain...which didn't work wonders either. Smoke no!

The southern coast of Quebec looks interesting..there has been mention of building road..mostly by the communities that live there or eventually they will be moved...like other placed.

Yes they wanted the same info from me but I didn't go there. Although hubby wants to turn left when we emerge from BAie Comeau (on route 138) to see what is up there.

Good luck!
Donna

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's a 5 or 6 day "cruise". They requested exact weight and dimensions of both vehicles separated. I haven't got around to it yet. We're a small C, too.

Alas, we don't partake. Not a judgement, just a personal preference.
If we did, and admitted to use, we'd get turned back at your border, and we like traveling in the USA. Some Canadian users, that weren't particularly aware of the ramifications, or that had possibly just been consuming, have admitted to use when asked by CBP, and been turned away. Semi-permanently, no appeals, no recourse.

Now, if you've got a good Irish Whiskey on offer, we can talk. :B
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
WELL...Its canada so give wife some high THC treatment and she will be fine!
I looked at that ferry for fun...size was an issue...don't think they take big ones but ours is a C.
Donna

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing is off the table, but....
My concern with 389 is the high cost and inconvenience of repairing stone chips, radiators, and windshields, in the middle of nowhere, if it's mostly a gravel track with speeding trucks on it. That's what got us 4 years ago on the Alaska Hwy. Less likely to happen on a boat, but there's the dilemma. I think I'd be fine, but she probably wouldn't. 6-8 hours one way, then repeat, might be too much for us.
We'll see, still in mull mode.
There's another smaller ferry from Natashquan, that runs (much slower, 34 hours end to end, apparently?) along the north side of the river out to Old Fort. I'm sort of looking into that one, as it makes frequent stops at the villages along the river along the stretch where 138 doesn't exist. It would provide regular breaks in the voyage.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
MK! Then do the Quebec 389 to labrador highway. SLOWLY! The most difficult part would be the trucks (booking it!!!) on 389. Somehow we managed to time it that they were not up our tail...HOWEVER there was a WIDE LOAD behind us quite a ways (that we were not going to let catch up to us)...those roads are wide but soft shoulder so have to careful on that. They are winding with some straight aways especially towards Manic 5. I see you have small units which makes it easier. 389 is the highway to the mines so big trucks are using it. I am pretty sure they are not moving at night though as they had packed in Manic 5. We left Manic 5 heading south at 4am (I woke up asked hubby if he wanted to move now with no trucks up are buns and he was all for it)....watch out for wildlife.
If you are both not fans of boats, then this would work with way less stress.
Donna

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
we'll have to do the NS to NL ferry. Not looking forward to it.

why not looking forward to it?

Not sure of MDKMDK's reason but sometimes the crossing can be rough. They also cancel crossings last minute due to weather. That happened to us last time we tried to go. Was quite a while ago though. However, the experience itself can be very pleasant.

My co-pilot isn't a good floater. I think I'm OK, but you never know. My longest open water sailing adventure was many years ago on the Mariposa Belle for a corporate event. Needless to say, there was plenty of liquid courage available to make a landlubber forget we were on a boat. I don't recall needing it, but it was a long time ago. Also, we have an elderly cat.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
So far no rough for me and would not want to do rough....sunshine and then one night crossing that I was a bit nervous about (got washed on shore at night in sailboat in florida keys and I am NOT a sailor). I think next time we will do night as we have dog and I KNOW she will be sleeping at that time...as opposed to being in the rv all by herself (tried to talk hubby into staying with her/no go).
Donna

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
we'll have to do the NS to NL ferry. Not looking forward to it.

Not sure of MDKMDK's reason but sometimes the crossing can be rough. They also cancel crossings last minute due to weather. That happened to us last time we tried to go. Was quite a while ago though. However, the experience itself can be very pleasant.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Donna

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
It's all good info for us, as well. We still plan on getting out there, too. Just no idea when.
Unless Rte 389 in QC gets a major facelift/fixup, we'll have to do the NS to NL ferry. Not looking forward to it.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, I pulled a couple from that with gluten free. I was using google maps for restaurants in newfoundland and pulling them out from there. Not a lot of choices but some would be nice...sure I can find something in St. Johns if we go there.
Donna

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an interesting list.... I just searched on "fresh food restaurants Newfoundland". There's lots more, but alas, I have no first hand knowledge of any of them....
https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/canada/articles/the-10-best-restaurants-in-newfoundland-lab...