cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full Hook-ups or no?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious. Some RVers won't consider sites without FHUs, some prefer the flexability of staying in wilder places without worrying about hook-ups and some are in between, wanting at least electricity. We started around 1970 with a pop-up and didn't even think about the issue and never had hook-ups. Then with an RV for many years we sought out campgrounds often without hook-ups. But now, we really prefer electric but will use a national park campground without. We've never felt sewer to be too important. Even this winter we will be at a national forest site without so we will just drive to the dump once a week. Water hook-up is preferred but no mandatory. I feel that absolutely requiring FHUs causes one to miss out on many beautiful campgrounds.
Jayco-noslide
56 REPLIES 56

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Popup has only been on FHU when I was host and had to use that spot. But for health reasons wife might need the AC at anytime. If no power is available, may have the pickup running for who knows how long.
But I do not like to have water on site. We have a fresh water tank, but have to carry the waste. With the slow flow out of tank, we can go 3-4 days before we fill the waste tanks. If the hose is right there, I might need to switch jugs if she decides to do dishes.
The 2 months as host I used a hose for drain and another for water to the outside sink. Had one of the plastic sun heated Camp Showers hanging to heat dish water. For water inside just like normal, and dump the jug once a week or so.

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
We gravitate more to dry camping, sometime fully dry with no nearby water available. That tends to keep the crowds down and makes spur of the moment trips easier.

With portable solar on a 70' cable and adequate sun we are often able to fully recharge during the day. Otherwise we will run the generator.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
After the gamut of Boy Scouts, glamping is best. I'm OK with boondocking for up to 4 days. And, it's great for overnighting at Walmart. I'm a senior who enjoys comfort and convenience.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we're out and about in 24 foot Class C RV we like to be ready for any type of camping, with FHU or drycamping not being a factor:

- We don't have solar for power because it's not universal enough ... too restrictive on adequate sun availability.
- We have ultra-low flow restrictors on both sink faucets ... so fresh water is just sipped when we drycamp .
- Our small(er) grey tank can be off loaded into the larg(er) black tank if the grey tank fills faster than the black tank.
- We regularly navy shower in our RV - including washing the dog in the shower.
- We have a fairly quiet running 4000 watt built-in generator - fed from the main 55 gallon fuel tank, which can supply the generator for days if needed for full power needs as if we were on full hookups.
- We have an ultra quiet 650 watt Honda portable generator, which can be used for slow battery charging.
- We can idle the main chassis engine - that for all practical purposes "cannot be heard" or felt - for fast battery charging.
- Our refrigerator is propane/electirc - and it keeps ice cream hard and the refrigerator section around 35-37 degrees on only it's medium setting in hot weather.
- Our propane tank is a generous (for a small RV) 18 gallons, so use of the 25,000 BTU furnace to keep the interior of our small motorhome toasty for days is no problem.
- The built-in generator can fully heat the interior using electric heaters if the propane furnace should ever fail.
- With the main engine idling, the cab air-conditioning and heating system can heat or cool the entire interior of our small motorhome should the air conditioner, the furnace, or the built-in generator ... ever fail.

We figure that RV's cost too much for them to not be fully self-contained - and as necessary or desired -> used that way.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the weather & length of trip.
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on how long I plan on being there. I do prefer electric for even short stops if the weather is hot.

I have boondocked for a week in mild weather without hookups.

Just depends on the situation. Sometimes I use the RV as a motel and other times a vacation home.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess much depends on how much time you will be someplace. For less than a week it is so simple just to hook up power & call it done.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

whereyoumakeit
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a pretty good guide on full hookups if you want to go down that route vs. boondocking. https://whereyoumakeit.com/rv/rv-hookups/

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve never stayed in a campground. We use our trailer for housing at sheepdog trials; camping in pastures (bring plenty of leveling supplies). No hookups and typically no fees. If the event is a week long the host will make arrangements for onsite pump outs and water fill ups for a fee.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
bid_time wrote:
The best thing about camping in America, everyone gets to do it there own way. I don't worry about how everyone else is doing it, I do it my way.

Exactly. Who cares how someone else camps? Is it spring yet?
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
We choose campgrounds based on location,space between sites and price. We generally prefer federal and state park campgrounds.Hookups is normally not a consideration. My wife does like to have at least electric. But we do have a Honda 2000 generator for those ocassions where there are no hookups.

x2!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We choose campgrounds based on location,space between sites and price. We generally prefer federal and state park campgrounds.Hookups is normally not a consideration. My wife does like to have at least electric. But we do have a Honda 2000 generator for those ocassions where there are no hookups.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
In our senior years, we really try to avoid not having elec. if really hot and humid or well below freezing.
Jayco-noslide

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many people think the quiet is boring. They miss their smart phones, TV, DVDs and only God knows what else. They like to live just like at home with different scenery. Many people are uncomfortable with their thoughts, conversation and all of that Nature. I am not one of them.