cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mail Service? What's available?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
What's the best, best value mail service for when you will be away for 2 months or more? One that you can direct where and when to send your mail and don't have to join something for a year or more.
Jayco-noslide
15 REPLIES 15

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
perhaps the question ought to be...has anyone dropped their mail service provider and chosen another? if so which providers were involved and why was the change made?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using St. Brendanโ€™s Isle mail service for a few years now. Totally happy with them.

http://SBImailservice.com/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Community Alumni
Not applicable
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Dakota post offers month to month as an option.
www.dakotapost.net

DITTO

JimR

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
Jayco-noslide wrote:
What's the best, best value mail service for when you will be away for 2 months or more? One that you can direct where and when to send your mail and don't have to join something for a year or more.

based on reviews we selected America's Mailbox in Box Elder, SD. so far the folks there have been very EZ to deal with.

X-2

Call - ask questions, get answers.

:C

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:

based on reviews we selected America's Mailbox in Box Elder, SD. so far the folks there have been very EZ to deal with.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jayco-noslide wrote:

For up to six months.. The post office. Visit your post office and have a chat with the clerk.

They can hold your mail there for up to six months and forward as you request. You pay only the postage for the re-mail.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
We leave for 2 months and have a friend empty our mailbox every couple of days and throw everything in a box for when we get home. My wife signed up for the free USPS service where they email her each morning a scan of every first class piece of mail to be delivered. This way we know if we need to deal with something important and have our friend open or send something.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take a look at Mailbox Forwarding

They are a month-to-month service that lets you view ALL incoming envelopes online free. You can have them open your letters and send you a PDF scan of all pages in the letter usually overnight. You can also have them send you your mail as often as you want for a small fee above the shipping cost (multiple options, USPS, UPS, FedEX, etc) if you need the original letter.

They are cheaper then most other mail forwarding services because they do not provide legal service to help you setup a "home address" for voting, drivers licences, vehicle registration, or income tax services.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a do everything UPS/FEDEX, copy, pack etc. business in our small town. She also offers a service for snowbirds where she picks up your mail at the PO, sorts out the junk and puts the rest in a Priority envelope and sends it where you ask. She charges $15 per month plus forwarding postage. Works great for us since we move around to various locations during the winter. She saves all the junk for us to look at when we return home in the spring. You might try calling around where you live.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis, if you're asking in response to my post....my neighbor can see all my mail, can't think of anything too personal. But a couple times, I had to get the original item, like a certificate or ballot or something.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What mail wouldnโ€™t a trusted neighbor be allowed to open, scan and send?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
If staying in one place, we use USPS free forwarding service, as mentioned above.

When on a long road trip, we pay our neighbor to collect our mail, look through it (without opening it) and let us know if she sees anything she thinks might be important. She contacts us and I tell her what to do (nothing or mail to us at a certain location, open and scan/email to us). Most of our mail can wait until we get back. I have all of our regular bills on auto pay.

I was wondering....if you use a mail service, wouldn't you have to change your address to their address then back to your own when you return, or forward your mail to their address so they can forward it to you, wherever you are? IMO a mail service seems appropriate for full-timers, but not for those of us who go away for a few months at a time and still have a residence.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Goodsam mail service when we go to Alaska. They are here in Florida.

Goodsam Mail Service

What we like is they will scan any mail and email it. They trash all of the junk mail. Only once a month or so do we have them forward the actual mail to us.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we spent our three or four months in Florida each winter, all I did was go to the USPS web site and chose the Regular Mail Forwarding Service. There was no cost to do this and they sent all of our regular mail. They will only send the first couple of months of magazines as far as I remember.

They have a premium service that does cost money each month but we never used it or needed it.
All you do is put in your start date and end date and that is about it. We never had a single problem doing it that way.

This all depends on you staying in a place for some time. If you are constantly on the move it will not work. There may be another type service for that but I know nothing about it.

Hope this helps. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine