Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fixed: Reverse lights not working

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

My reverse lights have not been working on my 2017 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 31K (2016 E-450 chassis)for about a year now. I finally have some time to trouble shoot it tomorrow, by myself.

I have already checked the bulbs and they are good. I will be checking the fuses tomorrow. Now for my questions:

1) If I put the ignition to "on" can I put the gear selector into reverse and will it send power to the lights without the motor running?

2) If it is not getting power, where is a common fail location I can check before I bite the bullet and re-run the wire

My multimeter is standing by and ready to solve this rather dumb problem.

Thanks!
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245
14 REPLIES 14

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
I checked, the bulb was corroded, the socket was good.

Good call on the sealing of the lenses. I always seal a little more than 3/4 around leaving the bottom center unsealed to let any water escape.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
If you do seal the lens, think of leaving a hole at the bottom so that any water that does manage to get in has a route to get out again, rather than just sitting there forever and ever. Maybe even drill a weep hole...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes dielectric grease is your friend in this situation. If the terminals in the assembly are corodded, clean them up first. Sanding, wire brush, Coca Cola if it's electrical corrosion.
Then grease em up good.
I wouldn't try to seal the bulb to the socket or use sealant on the lens though.
Glad it was an easy fix.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea. I think I have some dielectric grease laying around.

ronfisherman
clotus wrote:
UPDATE: So although I had initially checked the bulbs, I only looked at the filament. Well, after checking the fuses and relays I pulled the bulbs and wouldn't you know they were both corroded at the base! Replaced the bulbs and BOOM problem solved!!!!

Before you seal the light up you may want to put some protectant on bulb and connectors. One product is Camco 55013.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update and I'm glad it was simple!

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: So although I had initially checked the bulbs, I only looked at the filament. Well, after checking the fuses and relays I pulled the bulbs and wouldn't you know they were both corroded at the base! Replaced the bulbs and BOOM problem solved!!!!

I am very happy it was such an easy fix. I used some butyl tape to seal up the lens. I was all out of geo-cel in clear so I ordered up some more to finish up sealing the tail light assembly properly and I should be good to go.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If that rear plug works you could mount a set of LED's to the rear bumper and plug them into that plug, or run a 2nd plug off of it. You will then have a much brighter set of backup lights.

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea! I will check for the second fuse and the trailer wiring. Keep meโ€™ coming!

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford I think has 2 fuses for rev lights, one inside the cab and another under the hood. Check yours to see if that's the case on the 2016 model.
One other thing that comes to mind the 7 way trailer plug at the rear.
The trailer plug and reverse lights might be a 'T' off a main line . Testing the plug will tell you if the problem is before or after the split to that plug.
Just trying to isolate things for you.

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect, thanks for the fast replies. I will be working on this shortly and will post back.

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
i would look for a bad ground. first check the bulb socket
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Yes they work in reverse with the key in the on position but the engine not running.

Check for a bad ground connection at the lights; that is a common fault and one sometimes tricky to diagnose if you are not specifically looking for it.

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
They should work with ignition on, engine off, BUT set parking brake!!
In order I would check- Bulbs/sockets, fuse, back up switch and switch connection.