cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater plastic plug

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Atwood 6 ga. water heater. It uses a plastic plug as opposed to the Suburban heaters that use an anode rod. Talking among campers this morning one guy said he uses an anode rod in his Atwood tank, "Just to be safe." I'm certainly no expert, but I've never read on these forums that this is a good idea. Do any of you do this?
30 REPLIES 30

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
salem wrote:
I have an Atwood 6 ga. water heater. It uses a plastic plug as opposed to the Suburban heaters that use an anode rod. Talking among campers this morning one guy said he uses an anode rod in his Atwood tank, "Just to be safe." I'm certainly no expert, but I've never read on these forums that this is a good idea. Do any of you do this?

Not sure if this is high school chemistry or physics but it is HS science so we should all know it,, no need for a college degree (but I got one of those too)

Every element and every metal and alloy has a "Valiance" number.. Now It has been a long time since I took the class so I'd need to research it a bit to be detailed enough but I recall what they mean

Pretty much spot on, but - perhaps thou means
valance rather than valiance?
Dr Handler would be so proud of me ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Cleaver
Explorer
Explorer
I run an anode in my atwood. Not real sure if it has saved my tank or not. But the water here will eat the anode almost completely in a single summer.

Now for my reason: Bought the camper and tank was frozen and split.
-welded it back together and pressure tested...
-I knew that I had changed the aluminum mixed with whatever else ppl say these are made with.
-So I ran with the anode just to try and make it last. $20.00 investment. I've spent more on crazier things.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œThe plug is not plastic. It is nylon. Why do people constantly try to reinvent the wheel?โ€

Not nice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I believe a 15/16 socket will fit the half inch "NYLON" plug.:B

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gdetrailer,

I'm on my third nylon plug and I do use socket for removal and replacement. I some times winterize 7 times between October and April. A valve might make that a bit more convenient, especially at -30.

I do know that there are plastic valves for Reverse Osmosis systems.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Does anyone know of a nylon plug that has an integrated drain valve? Thanks in advance.
They used to be readily available. I have one. When this thread started, I was quite surprised that they weren't mentioned. Then I searched. I guess they're no long made.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Does anyone know of a nylon plug that has an integrated drain valve? Thanks in advance.

:R

It isn't "rocket science", "brain surgery", require a Masters degree or even the need to stay in a "Holiday Inn" to remove and reinstall a simple little "nylon" (to keep in politically correct and not call it plastic) plug nor is it difficult to do so without causing damage or even being inconvenient..

Yes, the Attwood plug location is a bit of a pain to get to, but it CAN be done and you do not HAVE to drain it every day. ONCE A SEASON IS PLENTY or when extreme cold camping drain it before things freeze.

They DO make a special tool for removing and installing, it doesn' cost a arm or leg or you can use standard every day and easy to find socket and wrench with a short extension.

Absolutely no "need" for Anode rod, no need for drain valves or petcocks, in fact I absolutely HATED that lousy miserable brass drain petcock on the Suburban water heater my first TT had.. Blasted brass petcocks tend to get really stuck shut which requires using a pair of channel locks bending the ears and hopefully not snapping it off in the process.. And as luck had it, the Suburban petcock also was in such a place that even was a challenge to get channel locks into..

Buy the stupid NYLON PLUG and use either the special tool or a socket wrench with a short extension and move on.

The Nylon plug IS the proper tool for the job.. That is what the manufacturer designed to be used.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
SoundGuy wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
Anode rods are magnesium
Not steel

Not true - one can buy anode rods made of magnesium, aluminum, or zinc.

None of those 3 metals is steel

And my original post was a response to this statement

"anode rods are steel" nothing in that statement about plugs, or threaded end holders

I just put a new nylon drain plug in my WH
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
salem wrote:

Not sure if this is high school chemistry or physics but it is HS science so we should all know it,, no need for a college degree (but I got one of those too)

Every element and every metal and alloy has a "Valiance" number.. Now It has been a long time since I took the class so I'd need to research it a bit to be detailed enough but I recall what they mean

Different metals react differently.. The metal used by Suburban in their tanks is fairly reactive with most water so they use a SACRIFICIAL anode to protect it .. The metal used by Atwood is far less reactive. and thus the anode is not only not needed.... it voids the warranty.

NOTE brass will react with the metal of the Atwood tank so brass plugs ALSO void the warranty.. This is why they use Nylon.

Will a Sacrificial anode bother the Atwood.. not sure (do not think so) but it voids so don't do it.

Hummmmmmmmm.....
Brass
Atwood T&P Relief Valve is Brass.
Atwood heater element is steel

NYLON is used for drain plug for severals reasons....one being the frequency of removing/installing plug

Suburban......
They use a Steel tank that has a sprayed on glass-lining
JUST like residential water heater
Anode rod is nessecary to help keep steel tank from rusting out because glass-lining cracks & doesn't completely cover all surfaces
(I don't have a college degree---)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Anode rods are magnesium
Not steel

Not true - one can buy anode rods made of magnesium, aluminum, or zinc.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
salem wrote:
That what I was thinking, Sound Guy, thanks. So, what are the Suburbans made of. Metal?

Porcelain lined steel tank so Suburban does supply every model sold with an anode rod.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Roger10378 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
cavie wrote:
The plug is not plastic. It is nylon. Why do people constantly try to reinvent the wheel?

Uh. Nylon is a man made product (Man made silk replacement if it's spun into find threads) and the word plastic means MAN MADE

So nylon is a type of plastic.. True there are many types of plastic. but NYLON is one of them. So for those of you who have been calling it "Plastic" it is

And for those who call it NYLON.. that too.

Both words are correct.

You need to take this one step further. Nylon is a brand name. Most of what we call nylon is not because it is made by someone other than the brand holder.

WTF? ROFLMAO!

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
cavie wrote:
The plug is not plastic. It is nylon. Why do people constantly try to reinvent the wheel?

Uh. Nylon is a man made product (Man made silk replacement if it's spun into find threads) and the word plastic means MAN MADE

So nylon is a type of plastic.. True there are many types of plastic. but NYLON is one of them. So for those of you who have been calling it "Plastic" it is

And for those who call it NYLON.. that too.

Both words are correct.

You need to take this one step further. Nylon is a brand name. Most of what we call nylon is not because it is made by someone other than the brand holder.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A