cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

downsizing for the winter

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2018 2500 quadcab Ram diesel this past summer. Found out later it can only carry 2200 lbs, far less than our total GVWR allows. I also discovered that our present 34 ft 5th wheel is too large for National Forest and general touring, and would like to downsize to a 25 ft Imagine XLS 22RBE. I've had larger 5th wheels (37 with four slides) and find them to be too cumbersome except for long term stays. For the winter, I prefer moving around and exploring rather than to sit in one spot for six months. Are there any snow birds out there with small trailers and how is it working for you. By the way, my favorite all around trailer was a 23 ft'er we once had, but a little too small for our present needs.
10 REPLIES 10

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
We have a 25 foot Dutchmen. Great for two adults and a big dog.

You can weave through city streets and fit into campgrounds.

However, we opted for a big bath over bunk beds, so no room for guests.

And I bet you are not telling your friends that the dinette and the sofa can be conveyed into beds. Right!

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Still only a weekend camper, but we found this 26' TT last year and easily tow it with my F150, so your 2500 should have no problem of course..

Replaced the dinette that came with the rig with the optional theater seats from Forest River. Love 'em... They have a butt warmer, back massage and a 120v plug and a couple of USB charging outlets in the center console.

The floor plan works great as a 'couples trailer'.. With the theater seats, it only sleeps 2 now... With the dinette or the couch, they would convert to a bed for some kids at most. Here is the floor plan.

2019 Rockwood "Mini-Lite" 2511S

Have already done a ton of mods to it for storage and other creature comforts that we learned from our 2003 Prowler 722F we had for 16 years.

Good luck and My folks have a huge 5th wheel and while it's nice to basically "live" in, we don't live in ours and really enjoy the mobility of it.

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Double post.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 25 foot Dutchmen. Great for two adults and a big dog.

You can weave through city streets and fit into campgrounds.

However, we opted for a big bath over bunk beds, so no room for guests.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
And ah that small sofa!

I thought I don't need it on my first RV. But then again found out after a day of driving and walking, and it's too early to hit the 'ol bed, a straight-backed dinette is not restful enough.

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
They have the option in this floor plan to have the dinette instead of the recliners. I have trouble sitting upright with my arthritic back, so a recliner is as must, especially when watching a long movie.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
We also prefer to travel around to different places for about three months at a time. We generally look for boondocking sites where we then hike, bike, boat, and relax for a few days before moving on. Our bumper pull trailer is 22' long and we find it just about the right size for our lifestyle. Yes, it gets tight in extended weather events, but we can always change our location if it goes on too long. It's probably too big about 10% of the time.
Took a look at the floor plan for the trailer you are considering and the only concern I have is that, when sitting on the couch, you have your backs to the only real window. Where a dinette (with improved cushions) allows both people to look out the window. And a horseshoe shaped dinette allows two people to lounge (heads by the window and feet hanging into the walkway)....with a dog between them:)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œ...I was born under a wandering star,..โ€
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"I prefer moving around and exploring rather than to sit in one spot for six months."

I'm for this all the time. "Mules are made for packin', wheels are made to roll, never seen a site that didn't look better lookin' back..."
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Not a snow bird for now but has a camping preferences of national park, national forests, state/county/city parks. Moves a lot too that we rarely even set up outdoor items.

We first have a 21 being pulled by a 4.0L SUV. Sweet spot for trailer weight and towing capabilities.

At that size we've encountered limits on public campsites so I imagine it's a bigger issue for larger rigs.

We've upgraded to 26 feet trailer and we find it the most ideal for the bathroom (stand in the shower) and a sofa where we can lounge around in case we are caught in heavy snow (as we had in Yosemite) and need to stay indoors.

Ideal too for our quick unhitch-and-go camping and tourist lifestyle.