Alone or in a group?

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which style of RVing do you prefer?

• Alone - immediate family)?
  • In a group of friends or RV club?
  • A mix of both?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
34 REPLIES 34

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer just me and the wife. Occasionally my kids will camp next to us but they only go out 2-3 times a year. We tend to go 10 outings per year on average.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
My DW and I typically travel by ourselves. We sometimes meet at campsites with family, but not often. Also, I like to solo camp locally most of the winter. Something about snowshoes along a trail that is very satisfying.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Alone about 98% of the time. My oldest son has his own rv and we may spend 10 days a year at the same cg but that is it.
I really enjoy socializing with other campers but we are on our own schedule.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I camp 90% alone,well our 2 daughters (21-26) still show up quite a bit.

All of our friends that RV like full hook-up KOA'S or the beach, where the wife and I prefer state parks with lakes and hiking.

Another words....we like camping. Lol

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
My DW and I generally camp alone. We enjoy cooking out and having a happy hour but we have camped with her brother and his wife but they camp way different than we do. They donโ€™t cookout and very often only bring a few meals that theyโ€™ve made at home. Most of the time they go to restaraunts. I can do that at home, not my idea of camping. We like being on our own schedule to do things and Im a wanna get there kind of guy. No pleasure stops along the way but to each his own.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:
enblethen wrote:
We prefer to travel alone, on our own pace and routes.

X2, it's easier to stop and look at something interesting, get fuel, go shopping, etc..
X-3, besides, in both our families, we are the only ones with an RV, and there is only one friend with an RV, but they rarely use it.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Usually just the bride and myself. If a small group then like others said "we'll see you tonight at the final destination" and go our own way during the day.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
We are mostly alone now... usually one or two trips a year we have a friend or two meet us at a campground.

Years past, especially when the kids were younger, we did a couple summers camping with up to 3 other families. We found out quickly that the "caravan" thing just doesn't work, better to meet at a campground. We had a LOT of fun!

Now, wife and I find out of the way campgrounds and plan a touristy thing to check out, then just sit under the camper's awning and read books.

Just as much fun as years past, just in a different way.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love and like my wife. We know we are going to get along just fine. I don't have the energy to coordinate the RVing activities with others.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
My favorite way to travel is with my girl and 3 dogs. Sometimes the girl has to work so I go alone.

Once in awhile we go with a group, but they usually choose some lame RV park and it is not that rewarding. I would like to go boondocking with some close friends.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I love camping with immediate family, but that could be up to 30 people or so...LOL! 90% of the time it's just Ed and I and the dogs.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I depends on where you want to go and camp: With a motorhome and no tow, and when out in the boondocks and with possibly no cell coverage ... you might want to be doing it with some folks for both companionship in the evenings and for backup coverage in RV emergencies!

Such as places like this where we were following our RV'ing friends out there in front of us:
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

HannahFelly
Explorer
Explorer
Usually with friends, but there are trips I take solo, better to have silence and time to think everything over once in a while.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mostly alone, spur of the moment things with other campers or family. We have met people we stay in contact with by camping at the same location for a few days. Travel is definitely alone.