cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DeWalt 20V portable air compressor

95impala
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have experience with this air compressor, I am trying to downsize from my big heavy pancake compressor for traveling.
7 REPLIES 7

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
The 20v DeWalt compressor might be just the ticket for you, I'd buy a couple 20v batteries and a charger just to have on hand for when you need to use the compressor. I have several Dewalt 20v tools and they are well made and quite portable, check the factory outlet stores for some good buys, especially for reconditioned items; they have sales quite often. I have no idea what your total cost is going to be, but it's certainly worth looking into, and you will save a lot of space by getting rid of the pancake job.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
95impala wrote:
Does anyone have experience with this air compressor, I am trying to downsize from my big heavy pancake compressor for traveling.

IME/IMO you would be best sticking with what you already have (120 Volt pancake style) and finding/making a place to stow it. For RV's, you need higher pressures than for most automotive applications. The tires are larger and require more air volume at higher pressures. I've yet to see a rechargeable portable/compressor that is up to the task for anything other than a once in a lifetime emergency. So far I have melted two different 12 volt compressors when using them on my Class A which requires 90 psi.

I bought one compressor at Walmart for +-$40.00. It said on the box it was capable of generating "up to" 140 psi. When I returned it to customer service a week after buying it, the clerk asked me, "Sir, what is your reason for the return? I smiled, opened the box (a burned plastic/electrical smell wafted over the clerk) and I said, "I don't think this is going to work out." The clerk cringed at the smell, . . . . . . . then returned my money. NEXT! Enough said.

Chum lee

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you mean their 60V version? It ought to be up to the task, and not take forever (though it won't be the fastest compressor around). It also isn't especially compact from what I can see.

My little Fini AirBoss is smaller and a little more powerful, though it's not battery powered, and does a perfectly fine job of keeping my motorhome's tires inflated; it's also less expensive than the DeWalt setup. Maybe it's something for you to consider.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple 12 volt compressors. Mine, like the Cobalt one you can set the pressure that you want the tire blown up to and the compressor will turn off. That way you don't have to sit and watch it, they are slow. I also carry an extension cord with the one in our motor home.

Dusty

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Not your Dewalt, but this works for me.
kobalt
Works off cigar lighter or 120VAC (faster) compact and will not deafen your neighbors 3 sites away.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
DeWalt ? You might have to buy everything else for it to use. Battery, the charger etc. The 12v cord is only 13ft long. It might not reach where it has to reach w/o an ext cord $. It might end up costing double , look into that.

I plan to buy a ViAir 400p in the spring. Amazon has them. Other Viair models as well.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Which Cordless Tire Inflator is Best?

Any CORDLESS tire pump/compressor is going to take a long time to fill a Class C tire. Forget doing a Class A tire. Most will shutdown when hot.