cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I shopped for a new TT today

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at a number of new trailers today. I currently own a 2009 Crossroads Sunset Trail 27 RB. After picking apart most of them due to cheap and poor quality workmanship, I checked on the Rockwood Ultra Lite. The quality to me surpassed even the imagine. Now I need to get busy and see if my 2016 Ram Hemi will handle 6300 lbs. (Empty) and about another half ton full. Then I need to unload my current trailer. I think I'll try local first then go state wide. Trade in will not bring me much. Anyone own one of the Newer Rockwoods? Looking under the cabinets and the fit of the woodwork convinced me of quality work.
11 REPLIES 11

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
It has been my observation that if you go in looking for poor quality and craftsmanship in an RV you will find it.

But for some reason when you find the unit you really like, it seems a cut above the rest.

So to the so called poor designs, a slide that blocks the bath or kitchen or bedroom when it is in; these are the result of giving the customer the other features they want in the floor plan.

I would not buy it but it is of little significance to those who do.

If you want it, someone will build it. If you want it at a price you can afford, then the options are a bit more limited.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
When I was shopping and spoke of the quality of the Rockwood, what I should of said was it was a cut above the rest. Nothing is perfect.

I'm wondering about how far you can go to customize the Rockwood I have in mine. They have options I want and I can get but there is one thing I do not want, the outside shower. I don't use it and it is one more problem when it comes to winterizing I don't care to deal with. I have it on my current trailer and wish it was gone.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
1 thing I've learned over 30 years of RVing and 4 trailers.....the term quality is a little overboard.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. Quality isn't a word I would use for a Rockwood based on my past ownership. Maybe I should look at the newer stuff.

((not complaining about Rockwood here- we really enjoyed the one we had. Great floor plan. It just wasn't Quality by any stretch of the term. I'd term it Adequate.))

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new one (Rockwood).. Great fit and finish workmanship is good as compared to others. Built on convenience.. Wonder if there is a Rockwood members forum ??

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Rockwood and the fit and finsh is great IMO. No problems at all.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
sounds like your old one is better set up than the new. better keep what works.

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help. One thing that bugs me is everything I looked at has draw backs when the slide is in. Either you can't get to the bathroom or refrigerator when the slides are in and when in a rest area or a parking lot it isn't always advisable to put out the slide. The trailer I'm looking at has two different dump areas and I didn't see a flush valve. My old Sunset Trail has an open path to everything with the slides in and one dump valve and separate flush valve for the black tank. I have it all right now so will not be upset if my old trailer doesn't sell.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
If the truck can handle the family, gear and tongue weight; and you like the trailer, go for it.

We still have our 2010 TT because we have never found a better floor plan.

Good luck.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is always fun. It's a guy thing.:B Your truck should handle it well

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œand about another half ton fullโ€œ

1,500+ is more likely.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad